Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Cocu with less resources won it last season with a bunch of players he brought from the youth team...this season after losing players like Depay hes pretty much on track again and did very well in the champions league. I think over a 5+ year period it appears that he would do better than de boer based upon the short timescale we can look at now.

I'd see Mourinho as a first choice as he has a point to prove and puts us on the global map.

Tuchel as hes proven now he can follow Klopp and also improve on his work with a more exciting possession based style yet the same players mostly.

Very interesting call from @brieverton there on the monaco manager. Hes actually a new mourinho type having been a manager since his late 20's i think...the only concern with him is that hes been sacked twice due to internal arguments at clubs.

Cocu has done a very good job this season, selling and replacing his key players. This is really not a very long way away from what De Boer has had to do though. This season they lost their captain Moisander. In previous years they have lost Blind, Alderweireld, Vertongen, De Jong, Eriksen etc. He has replaced them and won 3 consecutive titles often with very young players for a club who hadn't won the league in 7 years before he came.

Mourinho in many ways is completely the wrong type of manager for us. However he is such a good manager we should target him first if there is any possibility.

He didn't speak English initially and his results were always impressive though?
Apparently He could always speak English but at Southampton he didn't feel confident enough to perform interviews or press conferences using it. It formed part of his Tottenham contract that he has to speak English during press conferences & Interviews so the comparison between him & biesla is not strictly fair unless of Course biesla can speak broken English & could improve very quickly.

Apparently He could always speak English but at Southampton he didn't feel confident enough to perform interviews or press conferences using it. It formed part of his Tottenham contract that he has to speak English during press conferences & Interviews so the comparison between him & biesla is not strictly fair unless of Course biesla can speak broken English & could improve very quickly.

This is correct.

Bruno Andrade, no idea who he is or who he works for. But seems to be a Portuguese journalist for goal.com tweeted this in regards to Marco Biesla and us.

http://m.goal.com/s/br/news/15062/ora-bolas-por-bruno-andrade/2016/04/10/22214232/ora-bolas-everton-consulta-marcelo-bielsa?ICID=HP_BN_1&utm_referrer=https://t.co/VWkTnSMFAl

This is translated into English:
With an eye on next season, Everton studies change the coach of the team. With the Spanish Roberto Martínez practically out of the plans, the board of Liverpool club has consulted Marcelo Bielsa. The Argentine enjoyed the first contact and stressed the desire to work in the Premier League.

As the Blog Now Balls revealed on the last day 7, the hermano coach dismissed in recent months proposals from Brazil, Argentina and Spain. All this because he has the dream to take a team from England.

Bielsa, now 60, is away from football since leaving the command of Marseille in August last year."

Begs the question - what has a Portuguese journo got on an English club wanting an argentine coach whose most recent job was with a French club?

So yea, probably one of those off the cuff posts but could be true?

If true, it'd be the opposite of our supposed manager template "young and give time to build" could quite change into "steady the ship, increase the league performance and prepare for next manager"

With that all being said, the only thing I don't like about RM is his on pitch performances. Seems to do wonders with everything else regarding building the trainin complex and preparing young squads and he seems to have a considerable knack at securing negotitians with players (that will probably be affected now) but I'm not sure any other manager we could of got would of secured some of the signings we've had. But Biesla (for example and purposes linked to the above article) is in a respected position since he has had necessary experience and worked with some top class players.

Biesla is renowned for his mad man approach mind. Not sure whether this is media trying to juice rumours of us joining in this management craze and create an exciting prospect next season, Pep, Klopp, Mourinho (if he is to go UTD), Conte, Wenger (somewhat) they will all add charisma to what has been dull thus far

Distinctly remember Biesla managing Chile and employing a 3331 formation which led the next manager to make it into a 352 and have success in the World Cup. Employed the same tactic in Bilbao also.

Portuguese bloke who did that link first - is one of the South American writers/correspondants for goal.com mate - assuming the Brazil one - still sounds like a fishing excercise though by him, guess we will see over the next day or so if the link comes via an interview or any credible source

Where do you get the impression that Cocu has such less resources to his disposal than De Boer? If anything I'm convinced that PSV has outspend Ajax over the last 5 years or so. Also PSV's budget is only a few million less than that of Ajax. Still, both Cocu and De Boer are interesting shouts. Think it's time for them to prove themselves in a more competitive league. If we decide to go Dutch, my preference would be Ronald Koeman though over both of them.

Koeman shouts honestly baffle me, hes done nothing at Southampton, we went there and utterly dicked them this season.

People always say "hes had all his best players sold", Adam Lllanana? LOL, hes also spent 110m on players in 2 years, leave the fat headed beaut where he is I say.

It's simple. If we really have access to lots of money, go out and get Mourinho.
I really would love us to win the cup but I hate having this feeling that if we do, Martinez will be in charge next season. Get him out and give Mourinho the job now. Give him a cup semi and some dead rubber league games to assess what needs to be done in the Summer.
I wish it worked like that. I even think Roberto might be here next season if we make it to the final and loose.

Koeman shouts honestly baffle me, hes done nothing at Southampton, we went there and utterly dicked them this season.

People always say "hes had all his best players sold", Adam Lllanana? LOL, hes also spent 110m on players in 2 years, leave the fat headed beaut where he is I say.

I'm just wary of Dutch managers full stop mate, they have hardly set the league alight and their has been a fair few dutch league winners who've managed here now - including McClaren and Jol, Hiddink, LVG - possibly Laudrup did also and obviously Koeman.

He'd probably be an utter disaster but Bielsa was one i said about when we lost Moyes, just something about having an absolute lunatic but a genius one here, then again my view on him is through articles and watching a fair bit of the Bilbao team the season they dumped United out of Europe - one of the only Spanish sides i have ever enjoyed watching

Warnock used to have Sheff United in semi finals all the time. I'm told that's all that matters.

On a serious note, the obsession with having a manager stay in the job for years could do with going away. It doesn't matter.

Exactly, look at Wenger at Arsenal, could be argued that he's become bigger than the club. Underachieved for years yet seemingly beyond reproach because of the fear that the next guy is worse.

Well if the next guy is worse get rid. Nobody should be bigger than the club.

As a interesting thing, if the United job has fallen through for him, wonder how tempted Mourinho would be at the chance to come into an Everton side already in a semi final and with no really great team left in their, especially if there is the chance to knock out United in one of his first games, would be just a Mourinho type thing that, like 6 games into his tenure and winning a first trophy for 21 years for the club

People are underestimating how big a job we would be. Van Gaal looks like he's staying, Chelsea have appointed Conte already, Wenger looks like staying for one more crack, Pep has already been appointed at City.

In other words, what I'm trying to say is that, without wanting to quote Paddy McGuinness, the power is in our hands to a degree. We are the biggest job in the country.We can attract someone without doubt.

I'm just wary of Dutch managers full stop mate, they have hardly set the league alight and their has been a fair few dutch league winners who've managed here now - including McClaren and Jol, Hiddink, LVG - possibly Laudrup did also and obviously Koeman.

He'd probably be an utter disaster but Bielsa was one i said about when we lost Moyes, just something about having an absolute lunatic but a genius one here, then again my view on him is through articles and watching a fair bit of the Bilbao team the season they dumped United out of Europe - one of the only Spanish sides i have ever enjoyed watching

I like the sound of his 3-3-3-1 like.

Bielsa's signature formation in his squads, which he made famous and brought to the front of the world's mainstream football scene during his coaching tenures in the Argentina national football team, Chile national football team, Athletic Bilbao andOlympique de Marseille, is the 3-3-3-1 formation.

For this formation, the players are: 3 defenders (1 líbero with 2 stoppers at each side), 3 midfielders (1 central midfielder with 2lateral-volantes at each side), 3 attacking midfielders (1 enganche and 2 wingers at each side), and 1 centerforward. 3-3-3-1 allows great transitions from defending to attacking, as many of the players used in the formation can perform both defensive and attacking tasks. Moreover, it establishes superiority in numbers in every part of the field, since with this formation his teams could defend with 7 players, attack with 6-7 players, or protect a scoreline by overwhelming the midfield with 6 players. To use 3-3-3-1, all players have to quickly set to attacking positions when the ball is in the team's possession, and all players have to aggressively press and recover the ball when it isn't in possession, so it requires great teamwork and understanding between teammates.[29]

This signature style of Bielsa's has had so much influence in the football scene that many present coaches, former players under Bielsa's command, are heavily influenced by the style, such as Gerardo Martino, Mauricio Pochettino, Matías Almeyda and Marcelo Gallardo. Former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiolacredited Bielsa as his tactical inspiration. Jorge Sampaoli has been described as a 'disciple' of Bielsa.

A fanatic of football videos that he adds to his collection, Bielsa, on occasion, checks pitch measurements by pacing them out before deciding on a particular formation. He allocates separate training times for different parts of his squad. Former Argentine national team captain Roberto Ayala, a defender under Bielsa, stated "Sometimes we wouldn't see any of the strikers, because he'd have them training at a different time, and it was the same with the midfielders."[3]

He is known for watching and collecting numerous football videos to the point of obsession. He edits and analyzes each video for each individual player. He also utilizes statistical software and other technological tools to prepare for games. John Carlin, an English journalist, has stated that Bielsa has "the most learned football library on the planet." [30]

Former Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente said in an interview, "At first he seems tough and he may even annoy you with his persistence and don't-take-no-for-an-answer resilience, but in the end he is a genius." [31] Current Bayern Munich and former Barcelona manager Josep Guardiola called him the "best manager in the world" in 2012.[32]

As Bielsa refuses to grant exclusive interviews, the press conference has become his preferred method of communication. He has been known to field every last question from the assembled media during these gatherings. If the talk turns to the intricacies of the game, a three- or even four-hour press conference is possible. According to him: "Every medium should get the same attention from me, from the biggest TV station to the smallest newspaper"

Robles
Jags - Stones - Mori
Coleman - Besic - Baines
Mirallas - Barkley - Geri
Lukaku

:Blink::Blink::Blink::Blink::Blink:

I like the sound of his 3-3-3-1 like.

Bielsa's signature formation in his squads, which he made famous and brought to the front of the world's mainstream football scene during his coaching tenures in the Argentina national football team, Chile national football team, Athletic Bilbao andOlympique de Marseille, is the 3-3-3-1 formation.

For this formation, the players are: 3 defenders (1 líbero with 2 stoppers at each side), 3 midfielders (1 central midfielder with 2lateral-volantes at each side), 3 attacking midfielders (1 enganche and 2 wingers at each side), and 1 centerforward. 3-3-3-1 allows great transitions from defending to attacking, as many of the players used in the formation can perform both defensive and attacking tasks. Moreover, it establishes superiority in numbers in every part of the field, since with this formation his teams could defend with 7 players, attack with 6-7 players, or protect a scoreline by overwhelming the midfield with 6 players. To use 3-3-3-1, all players have to quickly set to attacking positions when the ball is in the team's possession, and all players have to aggressively press and recover the ball when it isn't in possession, so it requires great teamwork and understanding between teammates.[29]

This signature style of Bielsa's has had so much influence in the football scene that many present coaches, former players under Bielsa's command, are heavily influenced by the style, such as Gerardo Martino, Mauricio Pochettino, Matías Almeyda and Marcelo Gallardo. Former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiolacredited Bielsa as his tactical inspiration. Jorge Sampaoli has been described as a 'disciple' of Bielsa.

A fanatic of football videos that he adds to his collection, Bielsa, on occasion, checks pitch measurements by pacing them out before deciding on a particular formation. He allocates separate training times for different parts of his squad. Former Argentine national team captain Roberto Ayala, a defender under Bielsa, stated "Sometimes we wouldn't see any of the strikers, because he'd have them training at a different time, and it was the same with the midfielders."[3]

He is known for watching and collecting numerous football videos to the point of obsession. He edits and analyzes each video for each individual player. He also utilizes statistical software and other technological tools to prepare for games. John Carlin, an English journalist, has stated that Bielsa has "the most learned football library on the planet." [30]

Former Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente said in an interview, "At first he seems tough and he may even annoy you with his persistence and don't-take-no-for-an-answer resilience, but in the end he is a genius." [31] Current Bayern Munich and former Barcelona manager Josep Guardiola called him the "best manager in the world" in 2012.[32]

As Bielsa refuses to grant exclusive interviews, the press conference has become his preferred method of communication. He has been known to field every last question from the assembled media during these gatherings. If the talk turns to the intricacies of the game, a three- or even four-hour press conference is possible. According to him: "Every medium should get the same attention from me, from the biggest TV station to the smallest newspaper"

Robles
Jags - Stones - Mori
Coleman - Besic - Baines
Mirallas - Barkley - Geri
Lukaku

:Blink::Blink::Blink::Blink::Blink:

Actually read loads of stuff about him 3 years ago mate, he is utterly brilliant and at the same time an utter lunatic, love the bit about all the seperate positions training seperately from each other though, utter madness yet does seem to work until his players legs fall off with a third of the season to go...

That Bilbao team that smashed United in Europe was breathtaking to watch though, most exciting and hard working team i have seen and utterly bummed Fergusons United all over the shop.

be interesting IF Moshiri has a contintal manger in mind if he also will seek to go down the director of fotball route thats massively ppular abroad - someone like a Bielsa you could definitely see in such a role as he is an innovator and the number of coaches who cite him as a role model maybe shows that

Not just that though was it, he walked into Southampton and they were in turmoil, lost 5 starters and the manager from what finished the season before. He kept his cool, purchased well and has had 2 solid seasons.

Who do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back