Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, they did/do have a young squad, but it's not like they developed all those players themselves. Wijnaldum was signed from Feyenoord and Depay from Sparta. Also paid big money for some of their other star players like Luuk de Jong.

Koeman developed as a manager over the years imo. Agree he didn't really have a bright start to his managerial career, but did very well at Feyenoord given the circumstances he had to work in. Also doing a fine job at Soton. At least that's my opinion

My view is mate, it is easier to judge a bad manager by their work with both Ajax and PSv than it is to judge a good one - if they fail at either club then swerve them as they must be shocking, success with either is no guarantee they are anything more than mediocre though (some do turn out good ofc)

Not sure about this fella. Reading about him and looking at his stats he seems to have promising starts then thing go sour very quick. Seems a but of nutter who will throw his toys out of the pram.

I have said it till I am Blue in the face (in the nose at least)............. as soon as Steve Tashijian left...... our fitness levels went to Cok.

and you would be correct, Martinez is a control freak in that regards, its whny the defensive coach shouts are laughable really - nothing happens that isn't his way at this club now

Bielsa - quoted by Guardiola, Pocch, and numerous other managers as one of the greatest football minds of his generation and someone Guardiola himself sought out for advice before going into management. Invented a brand of football that had never been seen before and one which has inspired numerous world class managers

Martinez - laid the blueprints for Swansea that inspired Rodgers and Monk, signed Kone and Alcaraz twice

Tough choice who is better for that role really

Oh and Bielsa above Martinez - DoF set in place a system to be used, Bielsa's system is as utterly different to martinez as you can get mate on a serious note, it is all about maximum fitness and none stop pressing of the opponent as a bare minimum and massive and i mean massive amounts of training in every last detail of the game

Bielsa is also the architect of Chile's style of play

Everton should be shopping in waitrose not netto (Eddie Howe)
Let's make a statement of intent and get Klinsman, sure he'd leave the safety of the yank national team to have a go in England.

Bit harsh on our Eddie. He's at least Aldi standard (coming from a long way back but closing on the big boys gradually). Thinking about the supermarket analogies , Arsenal are Waitrose (overpriced and underachieving. Leicester are Morrisions.

My view is mate, it is easier to judge a bad manager by their work with both Ajax and PSv than it is to judge a good one - if they fail at either club then swerve them as they must be shocking, success with either is no guarantee they are anything more than mediocre though (some do turn out good ofc)
Don't really disagree with that mate. Same goes for some of the very top rated managers imo. Guardiola for example will face his biggest challenge yet when he takes over City next season.

We need a manager who has won euro and domestic silverware, has the man management skills to handle big players and can attract big names, and is both pragmatic and has a plan B.

I think so much rests on the cup. I wouldn't bet against us raising our game for the semi, and then the final. Can you then really see the board sacking a manager that's just delivered silverware for the first time in 20 odd years?

It would be very difficult to do. Even a cup win is not enough for me because it will just paper over the cracks and I'd expect the same level of guff to carry on next season too and that would be disastrous.

We have the nucleus of a very good side, we can't afford to let that be broken up and I feel it will be if Martinez stays.

One or two still might go anyway, but a "name" manager would give us a better chance of those players at least staying another season to see what he can produce. Armed with transfer cash to add to what we've got then we'd all enjoy our summer and head in to the new season with renewed optimism.

Would that optimism be there if Martinez hangs on to his job? I don't think it will be. We MUST make that change.

But that "What a manager" quip from Kenwright literally only a few weeks ago makes me uncomfortable.

Don't win the cup and he'll be gone at the end of the season

Win the cup and theirs a slim chance he'll be given the summer but ultimately he still isn't good enough and would be sacked early next situation.

Theirs no possible scenario where Martinez is involved in our long term future. He's finished at Everton be it in 4 weeks or 4 months time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back