Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
because any manager would rip up the squad and spend huge amounts remaking it in his image with players who aren't any better than the ones we have now. The fans would then use this spending spree to denounce him as a fraud and useless manager (unless he miraculously gets it instantly right), then the'd hound him week after week until he gets replaced and the whole sorry cycle starts again.
Rip up the squad?! There's plenty of managers who would give their left nut to have access to a squad like the one we have, and to just add a few pieces here and there with the (hopefully) substantial transfer kitty we'll have in the summer.

And we're not talking about Martinez INSTANTLY getting it right. He's three years in and has gone backwards in terms of the results we're getting. Not only that but he's making the same mistakes over and over and over again.

because any manager would rip up the squad and spend huge amounts remaking it in his image with players who aren't any better than the ones we have now. The fans would then use this spending spree to denounce him as a fraud and useless manager (unless he miraculously gets it instantly right), then the'd hound him week after week until he gets replaced and the whole sorry cycle starts again.
A new manager isn't going to come in and want to get rid of our best players. He may sell 1 or 2 he's not bothered about but that wouldn't ruin us.

Yes, in a word. If he were to resign, unlikely though who would we get in for the rest of the season. Me as there are only a few games to go I would ask Dunc, Sheeds or Ratters to take control. Can they do any worse?

But would give us time to get a new manager with some proper experience and knowledge.

Ratters was a great player mate, but he ain't management material.
I'm not convinced of Dunc's credibility as a boss either to be honest.

We have a brilliant squad we just need a manager now to take us forward.

because any manager would rip up the squad and spend huge amounts remaking it in his image with players who aren't any better than the ones we have now.

As others have said, this is very unlikely to be how it would happen. You would interview possible managers to see what they think they could do with the current squad with a few ins and outs.

I'm sure, if we get to that point, there'll be no shortage of good managers willing to take the job on with such a remit.

It's unlikely to happen any time soon, but the goalposts moved when Moshiri bought just under 50% of the club. Previous to that the argument about Bill not firing him because :-

1. He wouldn't want to pay his contract off and
  2. He was happy so long as Premier League status wasn't under threat
was valid and accurate, but the situation is now different

As others have said, this is very unlikely to be how it would happen. You would interview possible managers to see what they think they could do with the current squad with a few ins and outs.

I'm sure, if we get to that point, there'll be no shortage of good managers willing to take the job on with such a remit.

It's unlikely to happen any time soon, but the goalposts moved when Moshiri bought just under 50% of the club. Previous to that the argument about Bill not firing him because :-

1. He wouldn't want to pay his contract off and
  2. He was happy so long as Premier League status wasn't under threat
was valid and accurate, but the situation is now different
Any new 'Top' Manager is going to demand tens of millions. He's going to like some of our players and not like others. Some of our players will like the new manager, others will not. He'll also probably prefer a different formation and players will have to be sold to prevent them leaving on a free, it always happens.Some will happen anyway (Rom will never sign another contract with us again, His agent is desperately trying to get him to move) but others (like Del, Lennon, McCarthy) are only here because of Bobby. There's always a rebuild when a manager changes

I don't actually think Moshiri is going to make that much difference other than we stand a chance of getting our first choice players rather than our 2nd, 3rd choice. We simply don't have the stupid money to buy the really top players. £40M-£50M and up per player which is were increasing of players will end up as the TV money kicks in.

Sooner have big joe on a short term if we got rid of coco anytime soon, rather than any of the othere former players,

I'm pretty sure Joe , or Sheeds for that matter wouldn't take the job, even on a temporary basis. It's academic really though because I can't see Martinez leaving this season.

Any new 'Top' Manager is going to demand tens of millions. He's going to like some of our players and not like others. Some of our players will like the new manager, others will not. He'll also probably prefer a different formation and players will have to be sold to prevent them leaving on a free, it always happens.Some will happen anyway (Rom will never sign another contract with us again, His agent is desperately trying to get him to move) but others (like Del, Lennon, McCarthy) are only here because of Bobby. There's always a rebuild when a manager changes

I don't actually think Moshiri is going to make that much difference other than we stand a chance of getting our first choice players rather than our 2nd, 3rd choice. We simply don't have the stupid money to buy the really top players. £40M-£50M and up per player which is were increasing of players will end up as the TV money kicks in.

People said similar things about players leaving when Martinez replaced Moyes. In reality one player of any note left, which was Fellaini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back