Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is some validity in considering what makes Everton 'tick' when choosing our next manager. Like it or not, our crowd love players who get stuck in, and getting 'stuck in' seems to work very well for Everton imo. I think we need a manager that is on the touch line shouting instructions and motivating the team, rather than someone who just sits back and remains quiet throughout the game.

It is for these reasons that I am starting to have second thoughts about the suitability of Pelegrini. I think someone like Paulo Di Canio would be a much better option. He truly knows how to motivate his players, as he showed during his successful tenure at Swindon. He also managed to keep Sunderland up through breathing motivation into a lifeless Sunderland squad.

Get in the bin

I think there is some validity in considering what makes Everton 'tick' when choosing our next manager. Like it or not, our crowd love players who get stuck in, and getting 'stuck in' seems to work very well for Everton imo. I think we need a manager that is on the touch line shouting instructions and motivating the team, rather than someone who just sits back and remains quiet throughout the game.

It is for these reasons that I am starting to have second thoughts about the suitability of Pelegrini. I think someone like Paulo Di Canio would be a much better option. He truly knows how to motivate his players, as he showed during his successful tenure at Swindon. He also managed to keep Sunderland up through breathing motivation into a lifeless Sunderland squad.
Already enough basket cases at the club.

Di Canio, Allardyce. Finally a plausible shortlist is coming together. I think being ex-Sunderland is a big pull factor for me. I like Poyet too. He's a got a bit of Martinez about him but also some steel.

Agree about your assessment that our manager needs to show passion, but not in your choice of manager....Paulo de Canio???

Don't want that fascist blert anywhere near this club thanks

Just think of all them teams he has taken into Europe

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Allardyce

Now an established Premier League club, Bolton signed veteran internationals Gary Speed and Fernando Hierro, aged 35 and 36 respectively.[92] Speed and Hierro went into midfield, while Tunisia international Radhi Jaïdi was played at centre-back after arriving on a free transfer from Espérance; he was played alongside another new arrival, Israel defender Tal Ben Haim, who was recommended by Allardyce's son Craig.[93] He also brought in Senegal striker El Hadji Diouf on a season-long loan from Liverpool, who he would eventually sign permanently for £3 million.[93] After a good start to the season, Allardyce was offered the Newcastle United job, but turned it down and instead signed a new five-year contract with Bolton as he felt the Bolton squad to be more talented.[94] Bolton went on to finish in sixth place in 2004–05 to win qualification to the UEFA Cup for the first time in the club's history.[95]

Bolton reached the Round of 32 in the UEFA Cup in 2005–06, beating Lokomotiv Plovdiv (Bulgaria) in the First Round and successfully negotiating through the Group Stage after beating Zenit Saint Petersburg (Russia), and drawing with Sevilla (Spain), Beşiktaş (Turkey) and Vitória Guimarães (Portugal), before losing to Marseille (France) in the knock-out stages.

Then quit Bolton in 2007 with two games to go in 2006/07 when they were fifth. They went into Europe the next season under Megson and ended up doing things like

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7076603.stm

Bayern Munich 2-2 Bolton

By Mike Burnett
999999.gif

Davies helped Bolton pull off a surprise draw at Allianz Arena
Kevin Davies' late goal sealed an epic European result for struggling Bolton and boss Gary Megson in the Uefa Cup.
Davies grabbed an unlikely draw for the visitors when he slipped the ball under keeper Oliver Kahn in the 82nd minute.

Bolton had earlier stunned the hosts with Ricardo Gardner's deflected shot eight minutes in.

But Lukas Podolski equalised for the Bundesliga leaders on the half-hour mark with a low drive before claiming his second just after the break.

I suppose this shows that finishing fifth or thereabouts isn't necessarily an indication of a great manager.

That's a good point, although it should also be mentioned that Ronald Koeman managed Ajax to the Dutch title twice & PSV to the Dutch title once. I suppose my point is, yes it isn't that great of a league, but good managers win titles there too. Koeman also managed Feyenoord & AZ and didn't do well at either of those two clubs, which illustrates maybe it's not that easy as a league.
Yes totally agree lots of great players and managers have come from there also, just got to hope you get the real deal.

Because they are not called Marco Warbetinho and Davide Weirez.
Or because it would just be the same old for Everton, trying an up and coming manager rather than an ambitious winner, christ sod it just going to lock myself in a very dark place with some of the shouts here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back