Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a top top post! You will never become a world class player with responsibility and workrate. Watch how hard Harry Kane workd and it makes a mockery of most of Lukaku's performance over the last couple of months.

You've only got to look at Suarez and Tevez, they maybe snides but they put 100% in on the pitch, no matter what's going on off it and even if they've fallen out with the manager.

Welcome back David. I hope whatever kept you away wasn't anything bad ?
Anyway, Martinez and Everton.

I think it's fair to say that you didn't really believe anyone would invest in the club, but Moshiri has, and, based on the options that someone ( Blue Union ? ) found, appears to be looking to increase his investment at some time in the ( relatively near ? ) future.

I think it's also fair to say that you didn't believe Martinez would lose his job for finishing mid-table for two consecutive seasons, but, judging from the posts I've skimmed, it's probably fair to say that you now believe that's quite likely he won't be here next season ?

I've also seen a few posts of yours which are basically saying that, on the assumption that Moshiri's going to fund transfers this summer over and above the extra money coming into the club from TV, so the goal posts are about to be moved ?

The upshot of that seems to be that we're likely to be moving closer to NSNO than we've been for quite some time and that a new manager will be under to pressure to deliver, which, I'm sure you'd agree, is a better situation than a manager's remit essentially being to make sure we stay in the Premier League ?

In some ways, Roberto is a victim of changing times at the club. He's had one very good season, followed by two poorish ones. Normally that wouldn't be judged too harshly, but, overall, he's not really shown that he's anything much more than average, so it looks pretty certain there'll be a parting of the ways and a new manager will come in.

Your cynicism as to the quality of who that might be is understandable, but you had the same cynicism about new investment in the club, and much the same degree of cynicism that any new owners would be ambitious enough to look beyond Martinez, so hopefully your cynicism will be misplaced again.

I think the new manager will be a step up from Martinez. I also think we'll have a decent net spend this summer, certainly in excess of 50 million, though I can't see it getting to 100 million.

I've said many times this season that this squad, under Martinez, should have been within touching distance of Europa League qualification, something which we're a long way off. Any new manager should,based on a net spend of 50 million this summer, be expected to do the same, so you're really looking at top six / seven in season one. If we outspend our immediate rivals over the next 18 months, then season two should see us, at least, challenging for the top four. If the money's forthcoming from Moshiri, then top four within three seasons has to be what any new manager is judged on.

TL;DR ?

Welcome back mate
NSNO, it's on it's way back ... hopefully.
Correct on all of that except the final thoughts on the new managers schedule. You know as well as I do how quickly the knives were out for Martinez. Less than midway through season two it happened....and that for a man who had built up goodwill in the bank after a blistering first season. It stands to reason that any incoming manager inheriting this (widely accepted high quality) squad and getting circa £50m net spend is going to be required to get top 5/6 in his in his first season (if top seven I'd be less than impressed) and second season would need to see a CL slot in the bag.

Two game changers that any new Everton manager has to deal with: the new regime and new expectations that businessmen spending cash will insist in being met: and the Leicester factor. Make no mistake. If RM is under the cosh here after 18 months under the old environment and way of doing things then any new man is getting at least a similarly brutal timetable to operate under. It's wishful thinking to believe otherwise. There is a palatable impatience in the air now. All future Everton managers will have to defecate or get off the pot - sharpish.

Correct on all of that except the final thoughts on the new managers schedule. You know as well as I do how quickly the knives were out for Martinez. Less than midway through season two it happened....and that for a man who had built up goodwill in the bank after a blistering first season. It stands to reason that any incoming manager inheriting this (widely accepted high quality) squad and getting circa £50m net spend is going to be required to get top 5/6 in his in his first season (if top seven I'd be less than impressed) and second season would need to see a CL slot in the bag.

Two game changers that any new Everton manager has to deal with: the new regime and new expectations that businessmen spending cash will insist in being met: and the Leicester factor. Make no mistake. If RM is under the cosh here after 18 months under the old environment and way of doing things then any new man is getting at least a similarly brutal timetable to operate under. It's wishful thinking to believe otherwise. There is a palatable impatience in the air now. All future Everton managers will have to defecate or get off the pot - sharpish.

I just hope our new manager doesn't manage to get his name sung by 85% of Anfield mate

Without wishing to get into a "go the game" argument ( and, if memory serves me rightly, I think I know, and respect your reasons for not doing so, and, hopefully, those circumstances will change in the near future ), but the thing about Martinez being judged midway through season two is something which might have seemed to be the case if you take much notice of a minority of noisy people on social media, but social media didn't reflect the match going public back then.

Most people I know from Goodison and aways, were happy enough for Roberto to be given a third season to see if he could return the team to somewhere close to where we were in his first season. He hasn't, and though the expected investment in the squad will have swayed a few, I think most people wouldn't have been unhappy to see a change anyway.

Having said that, there will undoubtedly be more pressure on a new manager to deliver something related to any money they're given, but that pressure will come from the board as much as the fanbase, which, after over a decade of zero ambition, I totally welcome.

How much per season is Martinez on and how much was Mourinho on at Chelsea and Simeone on at Atletico?

I think Martinez was the 15th highest paid manager in the world? Thats before the new investment.

Team Vitor

Purely just for his handsomeness and the way he wears an armband over his blazer like a boss

FFS lads, Simeones not coming. Don't do this to yourselves, it'll end in tears
It isn't really about Simeone, it's about what a top manager expects and can get from his players.
I don't think anybody seriously expects Simeone to come to Everton, that's just silly, next people will be saying that Leicester may actually win something.

Without wishing to get into a "go the game" argument ( and, if memory serves me rightly, I think I know, and respect your reasons for not doing so, and, hopefully, those circumstances will change in the near future ), but the thing about Martinez being judged midway through season two is something which might have seemed to be the case if you take much notice of a minority of noisy people on social media, but social media didn't reflect the match going public back then.

Most people I know from Goodison and aways, were happy enough for Roberto to be given a third season to see if he could return the team to somewhere close to where we were in his first season. He hasn't, and though the expected investment in the squad will have swayed a few, I think most people wouldn't have been unhappy to see a change anyway.

Having said that, there will undoubtedly be more pressure on a new manager to deliver something related to any money they're given, but that pressure will come from the board as much as the fanbase, which, after over a decade of zero ambition, I totally welcome.
Mate, IIRC Everton were getting howled off the pitch as early as the pre Christmas QPR game in season two. Yes, social media was the hub, but then social media until the last few weeks was the hub for discontent this season too.

The new boss will get a period of grace. But people aren't daft. If they feel they have power to unseat one manager perceived to be failing then they will flex that muscle again if any better funded "name" manager is adjudged to be pissing a fortune up against a wall.

The genie won't go back in the bottle.

My expectations are a little more tempered.

Moshiri, as ambitious as he is, would be wise to know how flushed with cash the other clubs are and that throwing money around will not fix everything. Heck, Leicester didn't win the title with a 50m net spend.

Constant Europa qualification for the next 3-5 seasons (possibly acceptable to just miss out on the first) would be my minimum. UCL would be a target by year 5. If Leicester taught us anything is to set a goal and work towards it. They only wanted Top 5 in 3 years and delivered the title in 2. What's BK's excuse?

I hope Moshiri has also realized that a good coach is essential and would throw money at hiring a quality one rather than scrimp on a lesser coach by giving him a nice warchest to spend on mercenaries.

My take in this season is that IF the lads had shown more fight, the backlash would not have been this bad. Sure, there will be shouts for RM to go still, but it would come more as a teary goodbye (more BK's style) than a heckling lot protesting near his car.

Yes, social media was the hub, but then social media until the last few weeks was the hub for discontent this season too.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

Yes, there's been miscontent before that, but any sign of us getting back to the first season's form and that would have been pretty much forgotten about. Barring the odd good spell here and there, it hasn't really happened though, so we're now at a situation which, though we're not threatened with relegation, isn't massively different to when we parted company with Lee, Harvey and the like.

The Kenwright years are all but over. Social media and protesting supporters aren't why we look like we'll be getting a new manager, if they were, then he'd have been gone sometime over the last few weeks. Mediocrity over the last two seasons is why Martinez will be losing his job. It's probably a bit harsh on him, but the club's bigger than any one person etc.

I'm not convinced that a lack of success has been Toberto's downfall? I think thta if we were still playing the football we were playing in his first season, the vast majority of the crowd would be behind him! I certainly dont want him to go because we didnt make Europe or get to a cup final, i want him to go because i dont enjoy going to watch Everton anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back