Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Emery but wouldn't he signal the end of Deulofeu?

He certainly fits the nuts criteria I have in mind for our new manager

Don't see why it should, what Emery said about Deulofeu last year was absolutely bang on, and strangely he was more honest with him than Martinez has been, Emery told him how it is and he needed to develop parts of his game and then dropped him as he needed players who would work their ass off, Martinez meanwhilst talked about how phenomanal Del is, how he was duie to have a amazing and important impact and role for us towards the seasons end, then did the exact same thing as Emery did and basically dropped him from the team - so he only gets a handful of minutes here and their now.

Basically both managers kind of did the same thing with Deulofeu, only one was completely honest with the player and tld him how he needed to improve vastly in certain areas to feature, the other dropped him whilst bigging him up and going overboard with praise.

As Deulofeu gets older he will understand which one would be better for him as a young player

del was a tit at seville, he was rightly not played.

Since he came back i think the ego has subsided somewhat so i can't forsee a problem. Del playing like he did for the first 4 months would be welcomed by anyone i'd imagine.

but i don't know for sure, just merely dreaming of a perfect managerial recruitment scenario lol

Look at how Deuofeu featured for both teams over the last two years mate, and yeah he played maybe 20% more time for us, but similar to Sevilla - it has tailed off massively second half of the season, also intersting he lead Sevilla in assists depsite not playing the last 4 months of the season as well.

Player like Deulofeu honestly needs someone to kick him up the arse and get him to put the graft in, right now he looks goosed after 30-45 minutes, and no player of his age should be like that at this level

Look at how Deuofeu featured for both teams over the last two years mate, and yeah he played maybe 20% more time for us, but similar to Sevilla - it has tailed off massively second half of the season, also intersting he lead Sevilla in assists depsite not playing the last 4 months of the season as well.

Player like Deulofeu honestly needs someone to kick him up the arse and get him to put the graft in, right now he looks goosed after 30-45 minutes, and no player of his age should be like that at this level
haha yeah most probably.

He strikes me as a player with a bit of an ego coming from barcelona. Hugely talented but he hasn't had anyone so far to put him into touch and guide him. I think this time round though it is less tailing off and more martinez preferring Lennon in that position and him not knowing how to play two wingers.

the good thing i guess is that barcelona won't be buying him back this summer! haha

If we were by some incredible stroke of fortune get Mourinho or Simeone to come to Everton , can you imagine how different life would be for some of our players.

Can you imagine John Stones playing his own little game of keep ball in our penalty area ?
Can you imagine Ross Barkley half heartedly trotting back when we need to defend ?
Can you imagine Lukaku deciding which day he feels like playing football and which day he doesn't ?
Can you imagine Del continuing as if defending is something he vaguely heard about but doesn't actually know what it is?

Watching the CL semifinals last night showed that not only have great players skill, they also have heart and workrate.

Strangely, if either of those came to Everton, I think people may be surprised at the players that would have to adapt most.

del was a tit at seville, he was rightly not played.

Since he came back i think the ego has subsided somewhat so i can't forsee a problem. Del playing like he did for the first 4 months would be welcomed by anyone i'd imagine.

but i don't know for sure, just merely dreaming of a perfect managerial recruitment scenario lol
Can you imagine Delefeou playing under Simone at Atletico ?

The lad has talent but needs to learn a work ethic to play at the highest level.

I could say the same about Barkley and to a lesser extent Lukaku too by the way.

Can you imagine Delefeou playing under Simone at Atletico ?

The lad has talent but needs to learn a work ethic to play at the highest level.

I could say the same about Barkley and to a lesser extent Lukaku too by the way.
In the general sense i am convinced none of the young players are coached here. That is why the players bar lukaku are not improving in any way this season, they have no-one to guide them.

Ross and del especially are being told to just do what they feel like doing, which is why barkley lacks the additions to his game he needs. Watch del when he comes on, stuck out for me against west brom, when he hadn't played in a while. He runs into defenders, over and over again. he doesn't know how to beat them one on one, but it's clear he isn't being coached how to either. He just picks the ball up and runs at the defender, and chances are he runs straight into them 75% of the time.

If we were by some incredible stroke of fortune get Mourinho or Simeone to come to Everton , can you imagine how different life would be for some of our players.

Can you imagine John Stones playing his own little game of keep ball in our penalty area ?
Can you imagine Ross Barkley half heartedly trotting back when we need to defend ?
Can you imagine Lukaku deciding which day he feels like playing football and which day he doesn't ?
Can you imagine Del continuing as if defending is something he vaguely heard about but doesn't actually know what it is?

Watching the CL semifinals last night showed that not only have great players skill, they also have heart and workrate.

Strangely, if either of those came to Everton, I think people may be surprised at the players that would have to adapt most.

Does not these points point the finger at the manager.

Exactly mate, but in fairness it shouldn't need a Simeone or a Mourinho to correct the basic flaws that you pointed out there, that we've sat through all season.

Any manager worth his salt would have corrected those issues and if they were repeated dropped the players concerned.

They're football basics, and we've been lead to believe under this fella that they're not a pre-requisite.

This is a top top post! You will never become a world class player with responsibility and workrate. Watch how hard Harry Kane workd and it makes a mockery of most of Lukaku's performance over the last couple of months.

This is a top top post! You will never become a world class player with responsibility and workrate. Watch how hard Harry Kane workd and it makes a mockery of most of Lukaku's performance over the last couple of months.

"Moneyball" Leicester nows only recruit players in the same mould as the rest of the team. Hard work and teamwork has been proven again and again to be the core of great teams. This is why I wouldn't mind selling Lukaku if a big offer comes. Our next striker might not be as good but we can compensate that with a dynamic midfield.

Depends on the transfer warchest. If it's massive we should go for Emery. If not, Koeman. Forget Mourinho and the elite. You're deluding yourself if you think that's a possibility.

Welcome back David. I hope whatever kept you away wasn't anything bad ?
Anyway, Martinez and Everton.

I think it's fair to say that you didn't really believe anyone would invest in the club, but Moshiri has, and, based on the options that someone ( Blue Union ? ) found, appears to be looking to increase his investment at some time in the ( relatively near ? ) future.

I think it's also fair to say that you didn't believe Martinez would lose his job for finishing mid-table for two consecutive seasons, but, judging from the posts I've skimmed, it's probably fair to say that you now believe that's quite likely he won't be here next season ?

I've also seen a few posts of yours which are basically saying that, on the assumption that Moshiri's going to fund transfers this summer over and above the extra money coming into the club from TV, so the goal posts are about to be moved ?

The upshot of that seems to be that we're likely to be moving closer to NSNO than we've been for quite some time and that a new manager will be under to pressure to deliver, which, I'm sure you'd agree, is a better situation than a manager's remit essentially being to make sure we stay in the Premier League ?

In some ways, Roberto is a victim of changing times at the club. He's had one very good season, followed by two poorish ones. Normally that wouldn't be judged too harshly, but, overall, he's not really shown that he's anything much more than average, so it looks pretty certain there'll be a parting of the ways and a new manager will come in.

Your cynicism as to the quality of who that might be is understandable, but you had the same cynicism about new investment in the club, and much the same degree of cynicism that any new owners would be ambitious enough to look beyond Martinez, so hopefully your cynicism will be misplaced again.

I think the new manager will be a step up from Martinez. I also think we'll have a decent net spend this summer, certainly in excess of 50 million, though I can't see it getting to 100 million.

I've said many times this season that this squad, under Martinez, should have been within touching distance of Europa League qualification, something which we're a long way off. Any new manager should,based on a net spend of 50 million this summer, be expected to do the same, so you're really looking at top six / seven in season one. If we outspend our immediate rivals over the next 18 months, then season two should see us, at least, challenging for the top four. If the money's forthcoming from Moshiri, then top four within three seasons has to be what any new manager is judged on.

TL;DR ?

Welcome back mate
NSNO, it's on it's way back ... hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back