Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair to the board on this one, unless they land Mourinho, there is no "silver bullet" candidate that will please the vast majority. Fans, myself included, will find reasons to have fault with either Pellegrini, De Boer, or Koeman (or anyone else).

Emery is the only manager mentioned here and elsewhere that is consistently failed to be linked to the job, that would in my view, represent a clearly better option than the names above. Either they have no intention of approaching him, have done so in secret through the search firm, or sounded him out earlier in the process and were rebuffed.

I am now leaning toward De Boer for nothing more than the simple reason that if he is to succeed, let's see him do it at Everton (rather than Valencia or elsewhere) and in the event he turned out to be so-so, I'm still sure he would be good enough to garner a reasonable, if not spectacular, improvement in our fortunes. I'm not sure what he is like as a man-manager, I would hope he would do the job with gusto in that regard, we need someone to instill discipline and togetherness in what currently is a rabble of a squad.

Still think it's worth pointing out that Pellegrini certainly has not become a bad manager overnight. The work he did at Villarreal and Malaga was nothing short of sensational. Yes, I think he has been a disappointment at City given the resources available, and have concerns that he may not have enough "fire in the belly" to improve morale to the significant level required. But to repeat, he is a fine manager, and it excellent that we are raising the bar this high. River Plate, Villarreal, Malaga, Real Madrid, and Manchester City amongst others is nothing to be sniffed at, certainly when compared to any appointment in our history, or the calibre of some of the other contenders currently.

Finally, I have respect for Koeman and the job he has done as Soton. Of the 4 candidates, I just don't see him as indicative of the club being ambitious enough and De Boer or Pellegrini would be far preferable, in my view. His career prior to Soton was more miss than hit, and he must be in his mid 50's at least now. No big deal there, but that's a manager trying to prove his worth and win something for 10-15 years, and mostly doing just an average job.

So De Boer "would love" to manage us? Go get him.

If we sack Martinez and end up with a Martin O'Neil or Mark Hughes knowing De Boer was interested then that would be a huge kick in the balls.

Obviously see if Jose wants the job first like, but if he's stalling and making us wait because he wants the United job, go all out for De Boer now and get him signed up before someone else pinches him.

Moshiri won't be impress with Martin or Mark. Nah he will want someone better

Ch674cPWUAA9fN1.jpg:large

I'd be made up with Koeman, De Boer or Pellegrini. As much as I'd love it Mourinho is not realistic.

All major upgrades on the chancer and his coaching staff we have right now.

Ive never allowed me self get excited about Mourinho rumours cause from the beginning I have thought he belongs to pipe dream list.

De Boer has started to tickle me from right places...

The Man Utd situation is a strange one. Do they really want to keep Van Gaal? Are some factions in their board really that opposed to Mourinho?

It's mainly Bobby Charlton who can't stand Mourinho. He has a lot of influence there. Ferguson seems to like Jose the person, but is also unsure if he's culturally a good fit for Man U (as Mourinho tends to leave his club after 3 seasons).

If it has to be De Boer, then only on the condition he brings Bergkamp, Stam and the rest with him.

My only real concern about De Boer is that he's been whoring himself a bit over the last 12 months or so.

Every time there's been a PL vacancy his brother has popped up on TS saying how much he'd be interested in coming over to the PL.

That's assuming that the other 2 came with him and didn't remain at Ajax
True, but I'd still take De Boer alone.

He has been quoted in the past though that his team were important to him so you'd think he'd try and bring as many with him as he could.

How often do you see a new manager come in on his own without bringing his trusted team with them?

Very rarely. Unfortunately for us, Martinez and his rag bag team from Wigan a case in point.

My only real concern about De Boer is that he's been whoring himself a bit over the last 12 months or so.

Every time there's been a PL vacancy his brother has popped up on TS saying how much he'd be interested in coming over to the PL.

Nothing wrong with being ambitious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back