Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A longer google translation of De Boer's agent's interview,

'Ajax coach Frank de Boer shortly announces what he will do next season. There is possibly an end to six years of head coach in Amsterdam.

De Boer followed in 2010. Martin Jol as head manager at Ajax. It took time for amazement at his agent Guido Albers. "I told Frank that this was not the right time and that he had to make some steps, but Frank said 'what are you talking about I'll just do this?'."

"He had no doubt that he should tackle the job," Albert told NOS. Now, six years later, De Boer can get his fifth title. According to the interests of the 45-year-old coach is playing there now nothing. "I told Ajax that no other club and I also discussed with anyone and that remains the case."
Read more: Müller: "We played a great season"
"Valencia and Everton he would love it. It's what the philosophy of the club and how you want to play football. That's what where Frank is looking for." De Boer has a contract with Ajax for one year.'

He's cleary in talks with Everton.

To be fair to the board on this one, unless they land Mourinho, there is no "silver bullet" candidate that will please the vast majority. Fans, myself included, will find reasons to have fault with either Pellegrini, De Boer, or Koeman (or anyone else).

Emery is the only manager mentioned here and elsewhere that is consistently failed to be linked to the job, that would in my view, represent a clearly better option than the names above. Either they have no intention of approaching him, have done so in secret through the search firm, or sounded him out earlier in the process and were rebuffed.

I am now leaning toward De Boer for nothing more than the simple reason that if he is to succeed, let's see him do it at Everton (rather than Valencia or elsewhere) and in the event he turned out to be so-so, I'm still sure he would be good enough to garner a reasonable, if not spectacular, improvement in our fortunes. I'm not sure what he is like as a man-manager, I would hope he would do the job with gusto in that regard, we need someone to instill discipline and togetherness in what currently is a rabble of a squad.

Still think it's worth pointing out that Pellegrini certainly has not become a bad manager overnight. The work he did at Villarreal and Malaga was nothing short of sensational. Yes, I think he has been a disappointment at City given the resources available, and have concerns that he may not have enough "fire in the belly" to improve morale to the significant level required. But to repeat, he is a fine manager, and it excellent that we are raising the bar this high. River Plate, Villarreal, Malaga, Real Madrid, and Manchester City amongst others is nothing to be sniffed at, certainly when compared to any appointment in our history, or the calibre of some of the other contenders currently.

Finally, I have respect for Koeman and the job he has done as Soton. Of the 4 candidates, I just don't see him as indicative of the club being ambitious enough and De Boer or Pellegrini would be far preferable, in my view. His career prior to Soton was more miss than hit, and he must be in his mid 50's at least now. No big deal there, but that's a manager trying to prove his worth and win something for 10-15 years, and mostly doing just an average job.

A fair summary. I think Emery and Tuchel would probably be the 2 to unite the fanbase. While I've been critical of Pellegrini let me be clear, it is within the context of the other names. He would still be a big step up on what we have. I think Koeman is very much the safe option. He is more "our level" than Mourinho (so we wouldn't be looking over our shoulder every time a top job came up) more experienced in England than De Boer and more adept at managing a squad similar in composition to ours in England than Pellegrini. I wouldn't say he was uninspiring, but he is a solid pick and I think it would be a relatively big statement of intent for us to go and take Southampton's manager who Arsenal are also linked with.

If it is De Boer then I think we should go all out and get everyone and anyone he wants in his backroom staff.
If he brings Stam and Bergkamp with him it's all win for sure, imagine them two coaching the defence and attack
Barkley.png

Mourinho first choice.
FDB second but only if it's a package deal with Bergkamp and Stam.
Pellegrini third choice, swapping to second if FDB comes on his own.

Emery the real first choice but he's not even been linked.

Koeman a remote fourth, not in the same league as the others.

Ay6e tend to agree with that post, Koeman for me is a massive step below the other options, his real credit comes from his time at Saints, who it could be argued are very like Swansea in terms of having a strong system in place that can make bog average managers look better than they are, Rodgers, Monk (initially), Laudrup and Koeman, only Pelligrini out that lot seems the real deal

To be fair to the board on this one, unless they land Mourinho, there is no "silver bullet" candidate that will please the vast majority. Fans, myself included, will find reasons to have fault with either Pellegrini, De Boer, or Koeman (or anyone else).

Emery is the only manager mentioned here and elsewhere that is consistently failed to be linked to the job, that would in my view, represent a clearly better option than the names above. Either they have no intention of approaching him, have done so in secret through the search firm, or sounded him out earlier in the process and were rebuffed.

I am now leaning toward De Boer for nothing more than the simple reason that if he is to succeed, let's see him do it at Everton (rather than Valencia or elsewhere) and in the event he turned out to be so-so, I'm still sure he would be good enough to garner a reasonable, if not spectacular, improvement in our fortunes. I'm not sure what he is like as a man-manager, I would hope he would do the job with gusto in that regard, we need someone to instill discipline and togetherness in what currently is a rabble of a squad.

Still think it's worth pointing out that Pellegrini certainly has not become a bad manager overnight. The work he did at Villarreal and Malaga was nothing short of sensational. Yes, I think he has been a disappointment at City given the resources available, and have concerns that he may not have enough "fire in the belly" to improve morale to the significant level required. But to repeat, he is a fine manager, and it excellent that we are raising the bar this high. River Plate, Villarreal, Malaga, Real Madrid, and Manchester City amongst others is nothing to be sniffed at, certainly when compared to any appointment in our history, or the calibre of some of the other contenders currently.

Finally, I have respect for Koeman and the job he has done as Soton. Of the 4 candidates, I just don't see him as indicative of the club being ambitious enough and De Boer or Pellegrini would be far preferable, in my view. His career prior to Soton was more miss than hit, and he must be in his mid 50's at least now. No big deal there, but that's a manager trying to prove his worth and win something for 10-15 years, and mostly doing just an average job.
Good summary, I'm hoping that the search firm will have contacted Emery to be sounded out. He came over last summer to talk to West Ham I can't believe he wouldn't want to discuss the situation with us unless he's already lined up another club.

Ay6e tend to agree with that post, Koeman for me is a massive step below the other options, his real credit comes from his time at Saints, who it could be argued are very like Swansea in terms of having a strong system in place that can make bog average managers look better than they are, Rodgers, Monk (initially), Laudrup and Koeman, only Pelligrini out that lot seems the real deal
I don't think it's fair to throw Koeman in there and just say "Saints make average managers look good" when the only other one they've "made look good" is Pochettino - and he's actually quality

So De Boer "would love" to manage us? Go get him.

If we sack Martinez and end up with a Martin O'Neil or Mark Hughes knowing De Boer was interested then that would be a huge kick in the balls.

Obviously see if Jose wants the job first like, but if he's stalling and making us wait because he wants the United job, go all out for De Boer now and get him signed up before someone else pinches him.
Considering there's technically no vacancy at Everton at the moment I think this means he's in talks with us. I doubt he'd just say that without there being a possibility that he'll be managing us soon.

I don't know a lot about managers, as I may or may not go on to illustrate, but...

Mourinho lost a dressing room in quite a disastrous manner (they still havent recovered), isn't that a red flag? also I don't know a lot about his pre-Chelsea days but has he ever inherited an average squad with an average budget and come good?

Pellegrini, I am sure I've seen noises from City fans about his approach to defending, also shouldn't that squad at his disposal be pushing for a title?

Both better than what we have, I know, but just seems a bit out of one frying pan into another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back