Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really cant see Koeman being able to sell staying at Everton to Lukaku and Stones when there are managers out there who will want them two, who have a track record of winning big things.

There's also the very real prospect of a Director of Football being appointed, integrating all of the junior levels with the senior side - an extremely valuable asset if this proves to be the case.

That would be interesting and for once acknowledging the productivity of the academy. Too bad Ranieri has a few years left in Leicester. Wenger might be looking for a job soon though LOL

You're right.

Terrible having high hopes. Even ones that are unlikely. We should be happy with our lot in life and accept that the best of the rest is our place.

Never has one post irritated me so much. There's having high hopes and then there's hoping, no sorry, expecting the greatest manager in the world to come to Everton, a club who, whilst we may spend a lot, will not be spending Chelsea/City-like cash, who aren't in any European competition, who needs half the squad replacing. And to top it all off, you grimace at the thought of Koeman coming here instead, who's a very good manager in his own right.

Here's a picture of you. The gymnast who was disgusted with second place:
article-2185554-14656D19000005DC-909_306x423.jpg

I was dreading an appointment like Howe or Martin O'Neill. Also couldn't get my head around being linked with Benitez, just didn't sit right with me.

Would appointing Koeman be an acknowledgement that at least one of our best players will be sold this summer?

If not, how is his experience of replacing lost players relevant? Equally how relevant is his -25m net spend when he's coming to a club where he'll have freedom to spend money? What is actually on his CV that convinces anyone he can take us to the next level...silverware? Champions league qualification? Fantasic big money signings?

I don't dispute he's done a great job at Southampton...but I was hoping that managing Everton in 2016-17 and beyond would be an entirely different job with different expectations and parameters for success.

Unless that's not the case, then Koeman remains a good candidate for the wrong job, IMHO.

Because it means he can spot and develop players that fit his ideas and systems.

I'd rather a manager who's proven he can get Mané, Tadic and Forster for under £30m than a manager who's proven he can get Sterling for £50m. For example.

Btw if Koeman were to be appointed I'd imagine it's one more season of Bobby. He's said many times that he's honouring his contract and is staying until it either runs out or he's sacked.

Never has one post irritated me so much. There's having high hopes and then there's hoping, no sorry, expecting the greatest manager in the world to come to Everton, a club who, whilst we may spend a lot, will not be spending Chelsea/City-like cash, who aren't in any European competition, who needs half the squad replacing. And to top it all off, you grimace at the thought of Koeman coming here instead, who's a very good manager in his own right.

Here's a picture of you. The gymnast who was disgusted with second place:
Who expected anything? I said I hoped that we'd get Mourinho. Which I did, and do. Why is that a problem for you? Because it shows ambition beyond our station? Where does Mourinho go without United, exactly? PSG, I suppose. That is definitely a resume builder for his desire to be seen as one of the greatest managers in history. To win a one horse race, every year.

I also did not grimace at Koeman. I said, 'meh'. Which he is. He's won nothing of note as a manager, and failed at the only club with similar profile (Valencia). But also admitted he's done well at Soton, and is at the same level for me as a FBD, Pellegrini, or pretty much any other option in the world.

Aim big. Then when you miss, you still ended up progressing. This is what it sounds like we're doing. Shoot for the stars, settle for a very good option. Doesn't mean I can't be a little disappointed if we don't get the star.

I repeat that your argument is predicated on us 'knowing our place'.

Our place is at the top table. We've just been missing for 30 years. It's time to correct that.

Ambition is not delusion.

And yeah, I AM disgusted by second place. You compete to win. Not 'do your best'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back