Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
B0PgO5eCUAET9xD.webp

Koeman would be an acceptable choice.
He has the ability to adapt his teams game and appears to be able to put together competitive teams. I am a bit concerned that he has a habit of losing cup games that should have been winnable but hopefully that will change.

Mourinho would still be my favoured choice but I can understand why we may pursue the Saints manager.

Regarding stars leaving, no one has pulled up any trees this season. Lukaku has scored goals yes, but his performances in the Semis, both at Citeh and Wembley, when it really mattered, where terrible. If he thinks he can do better then in a bit. He is a very good player, but Everton have had better in my lifetime.

Who expected anything? I said I hoped that we'd get Mourinho. Which I did, and do. Why is that a problem for you? Because it shows ambition beyond our station? Where does Mourinho go without United, exactly? PSG, I suppose. That is definitely a resume builder for his desire to be seen as one of the greatest managers in history. To win a one horse race, every year.

I also did not grimace at Koeman. I said, 'meh'. Which he is. He's won nothing of note as a manager, and failed at the only club with similar profile (Valencia). But also admitted he's done well at Soton, and is at the same level for me as a FBD, Pellegrini, or pretty much any other option in the world.

Aim big. Then when you miss, you still ended up progressing. This is what it sounds like we're doing. Shoot for the stars, settle for a very good option. Doesn't mean I can't be a little disappointed if we don't get the star.

I repeat that your argument is predicated on us 'knowing our place'.

Our place is at the top table. We've just been missing for 30 years. It's time to correct that.

Ambition is not delusion.

And yeah, I AM disgusted by second place. You compete to win. Not 'do your best'.

tl;dr lad

Just to clarify, for reasons I am not going into Koeman is the most likely replacement. Jose is not out of the frame, but as a club we cannot put all our "eggs" in the "Jose basket" for obvious reasons.

Armed with a serious amount of cash, and given the task of rebuilding - let's be realistic, that's the task any incoming manager faces, the Martinez project is dead and we're likely to lose at least one of our "star" players in Lukaku, perhaps Stones as well - albeit receiving significant fees for both, Koeman is a pretty decent choice, and one who has the potential if not yet, the proven ability to become a winner.

I'm pretty certain that a revamped Everton squad, under Koeman would have be highly competitive in this year's PL, so why not in next year also?

There's also the very real prospect of a Director of Football being appointed, integrating all of the junior levels with the senior side - an extremely valuable asset if this proves to be the case.

So Jose is the dream we dare to dream, while Koeman is the guy we wake up to after a heady night.

...it's a BIT LIKE HAVING TWO BIRDS ON THE GO ISN'T IT LADS!?!? I mean, they've both been binned off before but for very different reasons. Ronnie - she's steady, sound, makes good casserole. But a couple of times, especially when she's tried to cook Spanish and Portuguese food, she's shown her limitations. But she's shown she's good with the bills, even keeping things steady after the fixed rate mortgage ended and jumped up dramatically.

Then there's Maureen... oh my. Sure, she had to graft early on in life, but for a long time she's been able to buy whatever she wants. And when it works... she looks pretty incredible. Volatile, though. And she's not adverse to setting your entire wardrobe aflame if things aren't going her way. Plus, there's at least one or two minted stedheads looking in her direction any time you go out.

And you have to ask yourself what you want. To aim high, risk crashing and burning? To go for the girl that draws attention wherever she goes, and decides on a whim whether to give you a night of passion or to throw your goldfish against the wall. Or to go for the one that, sure, seems to have no real distinction as to where her jaw ends and her neck begins, and is certainly ginger under most light, but might just be the one to keep you steady, stop you fixating on some other ginger bird you were with for years and who wasn't even all that great anyway.

What to do lads?

So Jose is the dream we dare to dream, while Koeman is the guy we wake up to after a heady night.

...it's a BIT LIKE HAVING TWO BIRDS ON THE GO ISN'T IT LADS!?!? I mean, they've both been binned off before but for very different reasons. Ronnie - she's steady, sound, makes good casserole. But a couple of times, especially when she's tried to cook Spanish and Portuguese food, she's shown her limitations. But she's shown she's good with the bills, even keeping things steady after the fixed rate mortgage ended and jumped up dramatically.

Then there's Maureen... oh my. Sure, she had to graft early on in life, but for a long time she's been able to buy whatever she wants. And when it works... she looks pretty incredible. Volatile, though. And she's not adverse to setting your entire wardrobe aflame if things aren't going her way. Plus, there's at least one or two minted stedheads looking in her direction any time you go out.

And you have to ask yourself what you want. To aim high, risk crashing and burning? To go for the girl that draws attention wherever she goes, and decides on a whim whether to give you a night of passion or to throw your goldfish against the wall. Or to go for the one that, sure, seems to have no real distinction as to where her jaw ends and her neck begins, and is certainly ginger under most light, but might just be the one to keep you steady, stop you fixating on some other ginger bird you were with for years and who wasn't even all that great anyway.

What to do lads?
Fingering is usually the answer in these situations.

What to do lads?

So poetic. So beautiful. It's brought a solemn tear to my eye.

Come here Maureen :celebrate:

Right, but really, other than Jose who is great?

I've been wracking my brain over the past few weeks and literally everyone pales to Jose. Emery maybe would be good as well...but Sevilla are in 7th in a 3 team league.

FBD hasn't won a two horse race in two seasons and is poo in Europe. Pellegrini has City in a place where CL is out of their hands.

Everyone is risk at this point. Koeman has done ok in the league at least.

For me it's Mourinho or 'meh'. He's not the worst option, it beats the hell out of Mark Hughes.
Emery is 7th this season but he's finished 5th the two previous seasons, won the Europa twice and is in the final this year. The other thing is he's done this on a negative net spend of £83 million. Yes that's right minus £83 million!

Tell me who else could do that because I'm struggling to think of many managers.

Emery is 7th this season but he's finished 5th the two previous seasons, won the Europa twice and is in the final this year. The other thing is he's done this on a negative net spend of £83 million. Yes that's right minus £83 million!

Tell me who else could do that because I'm struggling to think of many managers.
moyes-wide-eyed-shock.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back