Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Benitez has always divided opinion... he is a manager with clear strengths and weaknesses.
Great tactician, defensive organiser, player trading at the top of the market but...
Poor man-management skills, poor middle-tier player trading, ill-advised meddling in club politics.

Personality I don't think he would be compatible with Everton Football Club... not for me even without he previous associations.

Teams that finished in the top 7 in Moyes last 7 years:

Manchester United x 7
Arsenal x 7
Chelsea x 7
Everton x 6
Liverpool x 6
Tottenham x 5
Man City x 4
Villa x 3
Bolton x 1
Blackburn x 1

The top 7 places went to the same 7 clubs in almost every season.

Only Everton operated on a normal budget. All the other clubs who made the top 7 more than once spent vastly more than every other club in the league.

Now in the last 2 seasons Southampton x 2, West Ham and Leicester (Champions) have gatecrashed the top 7 without huge budget advantages.

How in any way does that show it is harder to get in the top 7 than it was in the Moyes era.

It's more than 6 years since Villa finished in the top 7, Blackburn 8 and Bolton 9. In the later Moyes years, the top 4 places would "generally" be between the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal, leaving us, Spurs and Liverpool to fight it out for places 5-7. As you've stated, in the past two seasons there are now more teams breaking into the top 7, making it more competitive than it's been for some time for those top 7 places.

In my opinion, it's now more difficult to finish in the top 7 than it was 3 or 4 years ago.

When Pocchetino left Saints - he was 42 and had only been managing for 5 years and had only managed 2 clubs, so he was very much a manager still learning and improving as his record has shown

IF Koeman leaves Saints to go to us, he will be 54, having been managing for 19 years, and has managed 8 clubs prior to us - plus 2 more as an assistant manager

Points totals mean absolutely nothing really, AVB had a higher points total than Pocch will this season - was he a better manager, obviously he wasn't - the league placings show that.

Yup Pocchetino failed at Espanyol - but it was his first managerial role as well and Espanyol - done well first two seasons finishing mid table with a distinctly lower than mid table side, then sacked after a horrible start to the third season with 9 points in 13 games

Koeman on the other hand took over a team in the CL the season he arrived and by the last 5 games had them 2 points off the rlegation spots and on the back of a 5-1 loss when sacked - the latest in 4 consecutive losses for Valencia - 1 win 3 draws and 6 losses in their last 10 games, the new caretaker manager came in and won 4 of the last 5 games and finished mid table (10th), Valencia kept hold of Koeman then they looked odds on to go down mate, and getting Valencia relegated would have been an absolutely horrendous achievement to have done

Valencias record before Koeman managed them 1st, 7th, 3rd, 4th after he left them the following years they finished in 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd

He was utterly shocking their, look up his win percentage - think from memory it was mid/low 30%, and that includes winning i think the copa del rey - so his league percentage will have been absolutely horrendous
Yeah he also fell out with a number of players, Emery had to then come in and sort the mess out. Win rate for league was 18.18%.

My dreams of Jose and a resurrected Everton are stumbling lol

knight.webp

Jose will rescue those dreams.

My personal concern with Koeman would be the massive step up from a small provincial yo yo club like Southampton to club with the size and standing of Everton.

He is going to not have badly dressed Soccer AM loving cringey fans playing up for the cameras, but a working class fanbase expecting things to be done in a certain manner.

Although for him on a personal note imagine the option to live locally rather than in a grey nondescript civil gash hole.

He'll jump at it all points considered. Who wouldn't?

My personal concern with Koeman would be the massive step up from a small provincial yo yo club like Southampton to club with the size and standing of Everton.

He is going to not have badly dressed Soccer AM loving cringey fans playing up for the cameras, but a working class fanbase expecting things to be done in a certain manner.

I just don't want him he's not going to offer us anything diffrent to Moyes did.

It's more than 6 years since Villa finished in the top 7, Blackburn 8 and Bolton 9. In the later Moyes years, the top 4 places would "generally" be between the two Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal, leaving us, Spurs and Liverpool to fight it out for places 5-7. As you've stated, in the past two seasons there are now more teams breaking into the top 7, making it more competitive than it's been for some time for those top 7 places.

In my opinion, it's now more difficult to finish in the top 7 than it was 3 or 4 years ago.
which in turn should make it easier to finish in the top four.

It's easy to be drawn in by a foreign name, or by an exotic unknown. Actually consider Koeman's credentials though.

- Younger and probably more motivated than Pellegrini to take on a long term project.
- Proven in the premier league compared to De Boer and others.
- Proven he can rebuild a team, which make no mistake we absolutely need to do.
- Has made some very good signings and proven he can work on a budget, replacing 'top' players.

And more I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back