Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does he though?

He's not exactly been anything outstanding since Liverpool and even that time was swings and roundabouts.

He went to Inter and got sacked within months.

Took over from Di Mateo at Chelsea and took them to the Europa League final.

He then went to Napoli and lasted just about 2 years where he managed to finish 3rd and lifted the Coppa Italia during a time when Inter and AC Milan were really struggling.

At Madrid he was hounded out by the players and the fans.

Now he's at Newcastle.

I mean he's won two trophies but he hasn't built anything and I saw the team he built at Liverpool, THAT's the man you want to lead us?

No thanks.
He's won 10+ trophies - experienced at the top end of the prem and likely available. If it wasn't for the Liverpool experience he'd be well in the mix

For those of you saying he's only done at Southampton what Moyes did for us, it's now much harder to achieve a top 7 place than it was during Moyes time and we're talking about Southampton here, who were playing in League One not so long ago.

Teams that finished in the top 7 in Moyes last 7 years:

Manchester United x 7
Arsenal x 7
Chelsea x 7
Everton x 6
Liverpool x 6
Tottenham x 5
Man City x 4
Villa x 3
Bolton x 1
Blackburn x 1

The top 7 places went to the same 7 clubs in almost every season.

Only Everton operated on a normal budget. All the other clubs who made the top 7 more than once spent vastly more than every other club in the league.

Now in the last 2 seasons Southampton x 2, West Ham and Leicester (Champions) have gatecrashed the top 7 without huge budget advantages.

How in any way does that show it is harder to get in the top 7 than it was in the Moyes era.

Alright, explain how it is irrational to not want a fella who belittled our club's history and reputation to be its next manager.

It's sad that some Evertonians would want him leading this club.

It's like when you clock a fit girl you went to school with out in town who used to rip you for being ugly and desperate, but now that she's had a few kids and a few drinks that night you think you have a shot to get your end away. Have some dignity and self-respect and go for her fitter mate while she's stood there waiting for one of her baby daddies to send her a winky face at 3am.
During the height of the "Stones " affair last summer I seem to remember the special one saying a couple of things about Everton that were less than complimentary... I think there was mention of a small club or something equally not nice.

I suppose we don't want him either now ?

Rafael Benitez is a successful manager and would be good for us - experienced, won trophies and still has the passion and drive. Fear he won't be properly considered for irrational reasons

He managed Liverpool in the past and said that we're a 'small club'. Words spoken whilst managing a rival team - irrelevant to his ability to build a team at Everton
Agreed..... we have had players that have crossed the park....... so why not a manager.Not my choice ..... but agree with what you are saying like.

Teams that finished in the top 7 in Moyes last 7 years:

Manchester United x 7
Arsenal x 7
Chelsea x 7
Everton x 6
Liverpool x 6
Tottenham x 5
Man City x 4
Villa x 3
Bolton x 1
Blackburn x 1

The top 7 places went to the same 7 clubs in almost every season.

Only Everton operated on a normal budget. All the other clubs who made the top 7 more than once spent vastly more than every other club in the league.

Now in the last 2 seasons Southampton x 2, West Ham and Leicester (Champions) have gatecrashed the top 7 without huge budget advantages.

How in any way does that show it is harder to get in the top 7 than it was in the Moyes era.

I love a good stat-slap.

He's won 10+ trophies - experienced at the top end of the prem and likely available. If it wasn't for the Liverpool experience he'd be well in the mix

If it was not for the Liverpool link we would be all over Benitez for manager. He is on a different level to Koeman or some of the others mentioned.

I look at it differently to others. Can you imagine the upset across the park if he helped us win trophies ?

Love this mentality. Here's the counter tho: there ARE those Liverpool ties. He's disrespected our club enough when he was over there. Nobody should want that tit.

If it was not for the Liverpool link we would be all over Benitez for manager. He is on a different level to Koeman or some of the others mentioned.

I look at it differently to others. Can you imagine the upset across the park if he helped us win trophies ?
Two consecutive managerial appointments who have just been relegated with their current team. Yeah, that would show the world we meant business.

For anyone who doubts Koeman is a good choice, compare his record at Southampton to Pochettino's. I think most on here would love Pochettino as manager, but in Koeman's two years at Southampton he's achieved a higher points total than Pochettino did there, despite that fact that several of their best players were sold in the past two summers.

With more money to spend and a better squad Pochettino has moved Spurs onto the next level. Maybe Koeman could do the same for us. Yes, he wasn't great at Valencia or AZ, but he was only given 5 months at Valencia and 3 months at AZ (but still better than Pochettino at Espanyol in both cases) and most managers have the odd blip on their CV. Just look at Mourinho at Chelsea this season.

For those of you saying he's only done at Southampton what Moyes did for us, it's now much harder to achieve a top 7 place than it was during Moyes time and we're talking about Southampton here, who were playing in League One not so long ago.

All four of the serious candidates mentioned have at least some element of risk attached to them.

Pellegrini's City are in grave danger of missing out on a CL place and, despite the vast resources at his disposal, still have a dodgy defence.

De Boer hasn't managed outside of Holland and Ajax finished a distant 17 points behind PSV last season in a weak league. What happened there?

Mourinho doesn't appear to cope very well if things go wrong. Until this season, he's always been at clubs challenging for titles, so when the wheels came off at Chelsea he looked like a rabbit caught in headlights because his massive ego couldn't comprehend what was happening. I kept expecting him to say, "But I'm the special one." I'm not sure how he'd cope if he did end up coming to Everton and got off to a bad start.

In an ideal world, it would be great to get Mourinho and it would be a massive statement of intent, but I think Koeman would still be a good appointment.

When Pocchetino left Saints - he was 42 and had only been managing for 5 years and had only managed 2 clubs, so he was very much a manager still learning and improving as his record has shown

IF Koeman leaves Saints to go to us, he will be 54, having been managing for 19 years, and has managed 8 clubs prior to us - plus 2 more as an assistant manager

Points totals mean absolutely nothing really, AVB had a higher points total than Pocch will this season - was he a better manager, obviously he wasn't - the league placings show that.

Yup Pocchetino failed at Espanyol - but it was his first managerial role as well and Espanyol - done well first two seasons finishing mid table with a distinctly lower than mid table side, then sacked after a horrible start to the third season with 9 points in 13 games

Koeman on the other hand took over a team in the CL the season he arrived and by the last 5 games had them 2 points off the rlegation spots and on the back of a 5-1 loss when sacked - the latest in 4 consecutive losses for Valencia - 1 win 3 draws and 6 losses in their last 10 games, the new caretaker manager came in and won 4 of the last 5 games and finished mid table (10th), Valencia kept hold of Koeman then they looked odds on to go down mate, and getting Valencia relegated would have been an absolutely horrendous achievement to have done

Valencias record before Koeman managed them 1st, 7th, 3rd, 4th after he left them the following years they finished in 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd

He was utterly shocking their, look up his win percentage - think from memory it was mid/low 30%, and that includes winning i think the copa del rey - so his league percentage will have been absolutely horrendous

When Pocchetino left Saints - he was 42 and had only been managing for 5 years and had only managed 2 clubs, so he was very much a manager still learning and improving as his record has shown

IF Koeman leaves Saints to go to us, he will be 54, having been managing for 19 years, and has managed 8 clubs prior to us - plus 2 more as an assistant manager

Points totals mean absolutely nothing really, AVB had a higher points total than Pocch will this season - was he a better manager, obviously he wasn't - the league placings show that.

Yup Pocchetino failed at Espanyol - but it was his first managerial role as well and Espanyol - done well first two seasons finishing mid table with a distinctly lower than mid table side, then sacked after a horrible start to the third season with 9 points in 13 games

Koeman on the other hand took over a team in the CL the season he arrived and by the last 5 games had them 2 points off the rlegation spots and on the back of a 5-1 loss when sacked - the latest in 4 consecutive losses for Valencia - 1 win 3 draws and 6 losses in their last 10 games, the new caretaker manager came in and won 4 of the last 5 games and finished mid table (10th), Valencia kept hold of Koeman then they looked odds on to go down mate, and getting Valencia relegated would have been an absolutely horrendous achievement to have done

Valencias record before Koeman managed them 1st, 7th, 3rd, 4th after he left them the following years they finished in 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd

He was utterly shocking their, look up his win percentage - think from memory it was mid/low 30%, and that includes winning i think the copa del rey - so his league percentage will have been absolutely horrendous
Those stats. do not look well. There can be no doubt he would be a major risk and that is something we cannot do anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back