Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
People that are advocating De Boer ahead of Koeman like he is on another level need to take a step back and think. Steve McClaren looked like Fergie over there FFS.

I too have gone off the idea of Pellegrini.

We really need to make a statement of intent, to re-vitalise our fan base, attract the attention of the media and project ourselves to the head of the queue for possible transfer market activity... and to that aim, Jose has always been my preference and surely trumps all other candidates.

However, if that can't/won't happen, then on reflection I think the FSW would get my nod over Koeman.

As someone else said, if we're supposedly talking to up to four "A-List" candidates, well of those available, I can only give Jose that rating.
Rafael would be a B+ for me.
Agree Jose would be top of the list - presuming that won't happen but guess not impossible

Rafael Benitez is a successful manager and would be good for us - experienced, won trophies and still has the passion and drive. Fear he won't be properly considered for irrational reasons

He managed Liverpool in the past and said that we're a 'small club'. Words spoken whilst managing a rival team - irrelevant to his ability to build a team at Everton
For what's it's worth. He was very insulting to the Chelsea support (guess he was right) about their need to have flags to generate atmosphere at games I remember. The Chelsea fans were furious when he took over. Ended up getting them in the top 4, and winning the Europa league.
He is a very good manager but would bring unbelievable baggage being a former reds boss, but I'm sorry calling us 'a small club' is going too far for me. We should be looking elsewhere.

For what's it's worth. He was very insulting to the Chelsea support (guess he was right) about their need to have flags to generate atmosphere at games I remember. The Chelsea fans were furious when he took over. Ended up getting them in the top 4, and winning the Europa league.
He is a very good manager but would bring unbelievable baggage being a former reds boss, but I'm sorry calling us 'a small club' is going too far for me. We should be looking elsewhere.
Interesting point re Chelsea. But you think with us 'small club' took it that step too far? Isn't it normal inter club rivalry management banter - doesn't necessarily need a life long grudge - Everton isn't a small club anyway

Rafael Benitez is a successful manager and would be good for us - experienced, won trophies and still has the passion and drive. Fear he won't be properly considered for irrational reasons

He managed Liverpool in the past and said that we're a 'small club'. Words spoken whilst managing a rival team - irrelevant to his ability to build a team at Everton

There is nothing irrational about not wanting someone who publicly disrespected the club to win over the cretins across the park.

It is also perfectly relevant given that the words he spoke were about Everton.

People that are advocating De Boer ahead of Koeman like he is on another level need to take a step back and think. Steve McClaren looked like Fergie over there FFS.
Koeman has far more managerial experience than De Boer. He's done well in the prem so far but not proven league winner. We could do worse but think we should be going for a proven winner, especially now we have the Moshiri money

There is nothing irrational about not wanting someone who publicly disrespected the club to win over the cretins across the park.

It is also perfectly relevant given that the words he spoke were about Everton.
It is relevant, yes - given that a lot of the fan base will think irrationally. But in hard headed terms this sort of thing shouldn't matter - its about results

It's like people going off Moyes after 10 years of success at the club because he tried to sign Baines & Fellaini and made some inept media comments, while he was out of his depth trying to succeed SAF at Man U

As for all these Benitez shouts, there is zero chance of him coming to Everton. He's a legend at Liverpool and still has a great affinity for them, and wouldn't come here even if we asked, and neither should we.

From our perspective, he's wasted millions on crap players, been disrespectful to our club, is a massive bell end and is hated by our fans.

Never. Going. To. Happen.

Interesting point re Chelsea. But you think with us 'small club' took it that step too far? Isn't it normal inter club rivalry management banter - doesn't necessarily need a life long grudge - Everton isn't a small club anyway
I guess it depends on two things. If kenwright has any say in the appointment, I very much doubt Rafael is on any shortlist. Also his ties to Liverpool are still very strong, he would not get the reception he got last month at anfield going there as Everton manager.
But then again if moshiri promises big money for him to spend and he still lives on the Wirral, who knows? Just can't see it myself.

Koeman, ( to me ) is just similar to Moyes will have us playing ok and stable in the league. But won't go no further il be really really peed of that with the money we have now we still can't attract a " winning manager "

Given Esk's information overnight, I would find it reasonable now to make the assumption that Koeman has made positive noises about taking the job privately when contacted. How far down the road negotiations are, is another matter.

I think he has a year left on his contract at Soton? Whatever the case, they will hardly say "Here, have him with our blessing". If he wants to leave, they will have been shafted twice in recent seasons by managers they brought to the PL and shown faith in, despite the re-building required on Koeman's part.

My concern would be if he was moved to the top of the queue, and the other 3 names (Mourinho, De Boer, Pellegrini) are less of a likelihood now, then in the scenario that there is a snitch with Koeman, who is the next option? No disrespect to Koeman, but are we then into the sort of territory where Mark Hughes and the like will be trumpeted as being the manager we need?

I don't know whether I expect a Koeman appointment to be protracted, in that they will fight for him, or relatively straightforward if they accept he wishes to go and will then be under pressure themselves to sort a replacement?

I guess we may never know if candidates deemed of a higher calibre than Koeman were/will be approached at the end of all of this (other than the 3 names mentioned, with whom we seem to have had contact with all) If they were and rebuffed us, then the board can't take blame. That is just one of those things. Perhaps, despite the relative levels of optimism shown in recent times as to the high-profile type manager we could attract (in comparison to the universal despair concerning Martinez), we continue to suffer from seeing things through blue-tinted glasses. We may just not be as much of a draw as we would like to think.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back