Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes me too mate. I won't engage in revisionism and pretend I would be delighted with Koeman, I will certainly live with it and give him full support if it transpires.

DoF I find intriguing, it would indicate longer-term planning which is always good. They can always step in to take first-team duties as well in the event of the departure of a manager. Having such a person in place may have made it easier to remove Martinez and ensure a degree of continuity IMO, a bridge between an outgoing and incoming manager, if you will.

This summer will really give us the first glimpse of how Moshiri sees the club moving forward. In all honesty I put none of the farce we are currently seeing at his doorstep. The best I an say is it's as a result of the handover period and contractual obligations or alternatively it's down to Bill Kenwright being completely delusional. I hope the fans can take that viewpoint of things and we almost treat May 20th or whatever it is as Moshiri first day in charge.

DOF generally haven't worked well in England but that being said I do think they are a good model to have. I think if they are done successfully they can be very fruitful. I have no idea who they are looking at but it would be really interesting to see the club changing direction. It's ironic really that I think Martinez as a DOF with Moyes as a first team coach might have seen us winning a trophy in the last 15 years, but I think we are well past that now!

Dave Mourinho in his 1st press conference.

dave.webp

How come Mark Hughes is now second favourite behind Martin O'Neill??

What newspaper has linked him to us?
Depends on which bookmaker you look at. Personally I only ever tend to follow sky bet ok things like this as the others tend to fluctuate to the extreme when a bit of money goes on someone. They have us with de boer and koeman as the favourites which I would think are the 2 most likely and also have mourinho not far off them which I think is fair and if was to happen would be dependant on what happens with Man U over the next week.

Clearly you have no response then? My reply did not talk about thst clubs besides comparing us to them which over 2 years is a pretty accurate reflection judging the table.
Or do you disagree with thst point?

We ARE NOT WEST BROM.

Im too dismayed at this link to Koeman to even debate that ridiculous thought process.

Depends on which bookmaker you look at. Personally I only ever tend to follow sky bet ok things like this as the others tend to fluctuate to the extreme when a bit of money goes on someone. They have us with de boer and koeman as the favourites which I would think are the 2 most likely and also have mourinho not far off them which I think is fair and if was to happen would be dependant on what happens with Man U over the next week.
upload_2016-5-10_15-44-39.webp

Good write up mate.

One thing I will pick up on is that you say where everton want to be, koeman is already there. We haven't been taken over by billionaires and the changes that are wanted will take years not months. So where you say city moved between managers, they did but the money grew over thst time also. We aren't going to be in that postion unless we get loads more Moshiri join the club.

So generally better than Martinez should be the marker if we can't get better managers lining up just yet, which is perfectly understandable. This will be a big job for whoever comes in and I think a lot of fans who dismiss koeman for example don't realise this. We aren't getting top 4 next year, or spending 100 million plus and bringing in Superstars. The job is turning what has been proven to be a pretty poor squad into one that is competitive again. Koeman can do that as he has proven already he can do that.

But generally either we are a Moyes level club in this era or a Martinez one. Koeman is more Moyes level which has to be the sensible aim right now. If Jose turned up and pushed us further, great. But Moyes had us top 6 every year, we need to be there again but if koeman suffers from the Moyes effect of a glass ceiling, then we need to get shut long before we did last time and carry in growing ambition.

I think in all honesty we want to be beyond where Koeman is currently. I would say our aspiration is to be were Spurs are. Lest we forget that we got 72 points two years ago (good enough to come second this season) and before that had never missed out on the top 8 in a decade. Martinez has changed that in the last two years, hence why we are looking to change manager.

I really don't think capping the expectation at the level of Southampton or where we were under Moyes will go down well. If that's our aspiration then we can have Moyes back tomorrow, with no compensation who can pretty much guarantee that. Of course we want to be "better than Martinez" currently but that can't be the only criteria we have.

I know much of the post will depend on what happens in the summer transfers wise. If we don't spend much money and lose our bets players then of course the above is realistic. However if we are investing upwards of 100 million then I do not think being a Southampton will be enough for us. I know we've had a ropey two years and I put that down to Martinez but over the last 10 years, even under the difficult days of Moyes we have always been a top 8 team/club. I see us a top 8 club currently being mismanaged. Without investment that where I would want us to be. With investment the aim will need to be higher.

Koeman is a safe pick. If he comes I won't be on his back but I am not excited looking forward to the appointment. De Boer seems a much better fit to me and would excite the fans much more.

Thanks for the information mate. Out of interest on the DoF role, and appreciate the constraints/limitations that apply with giving information, is there a specific individual under consideration for this role or, as with the manager position, more than one name being considered?

Would the club envisage a Director of Football to play a role in transfer policy, working alongside the manager?

Thanks.
so the "A list manager" is Koeman? couldn't be more underwhelmed, Everton FC are finished

Koeman going to Everton is about the level that the media would expect.
A manager of a mid table club going to another mid table club, albeit a bigger club. It is exactly the manager SKY would pick for us.
That is not to say that he wouldn't be a brilliant manager and could do really well at Everton.

The appointment however would not raise the profile of Everton or raise the expectations either.

The appointment of a manager like Mourinho puts us on a different level completely with the signing of his contract.

I think I would prefer De Boer to Koeman but I would only do so as long as he has a mentor appointed with him , the old general manager. An old experienced head to help the new younger man to spot and avoid the pitfalls. De Boer or any other younger manager coming from the continent will face a completely different challenge in the Premiership.

I know it won't happen , but I still think Benitez would be a better bet than Koeman or De Boer or a lot of other managers.

Koeman going to Everton is about the level that the media would expect.
A manager of a mid table club going to another mid table club, albeit a bigger club. It is exactly the manager SKY would pick for us.
That is not to say that he wouldn't be a brilliant manager and could do really well at Everton.

The appointment however would not raise the profile of Everton or raise the expectations either.

The appointment of a manager like Mourinho puts us on a different level completely with the signing of his contract.

I think I would prefer De Boer to Koeman but I would only do so as long as he has a mentor appointed with him , the old general manager. An old experienced head to help the new younger man to spot and avoid the pitfalls. De Boer or any other younger manager coming from the continent will face a completely different challenge in the Premiership.

I know it won't happen , but I still think Benitez would be a better bet than Koeman or De Boer or a lot of other managers.
Apart from Southampton haven't been mid table in 2 seasons?

Do we think Koeman could retain players though? I am confident with a bigger budget than he had elsewhere (which he will have with us) that he could seriously push us on. But I would be slightly concerned whether he could retain star players...

Could Jose? Yes. De Boer? Most likely. But Koeman?

Robbie Savage heh. wtf. Luckily Pellegrini is a better coach than Benitez, much more affable and available, so Benitez talk that should be beneath us is not going to turn into reality.

Rafael Benitez is a successful manager and would be good for us - experienced, won trophies and still has the passion and drive. Fear he won't be properly considered for irrational reasons

He managed Liverpool in the past and said that we're a 'small club'. Words spoken whilst managing a rival team - irrelevant to his ability to build a team at Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back