Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rafael Benitez is a successful manager and would be good for us - experienced, won trophies and still has the passion and drive. Fear he won't be properly considered for irrational reasons

He managed Liverpool in the past and said that we're a 'small club'. Words spoken whilst managing a rival team - irrelevant to his ability to build a team at Everton

Is all largely true.
But, imagine the scrutiny he would be under with every point dropped at home never mind a home loss.

Koeman going to Everton is about the level that the media would expect.
A manager of a mid table club going to another mid table club, albeit a bigger club. It is exactly the manager SKY would pick for us.
That is not to say that he wouldn't be a brilliant manager and could do really well at Everton.

The appointment however would not raise the profile of Everton or raise the expectations either.

The appointment of a manager like Mourinho puts us on a different level completely with the signing of his contract.

I think I would prefer De Boer to Koeman but I would only do so as long as he has a mentor appointed with him , the old general manager. An old experienced head to help the new younger man to spot and avoid the pitfalls. De Boer or any other younger manager coming from the continent will face a completely different challenge in the Premiership.

I know it won't happen , but I still think Benitez would be a better bet than Koeman or De Boer or a lot of other managers.
Moshiri has changed nothing, likely going to appoint an average manager, Esk saying we will lose AT LEAST one of our better players, still dithering over Martinez, i reckon he is the fella from that bedsit in manchester after all.
West Ham are already talking about spending £50 million on a already decent squad, we need to spend four times that to replace the under performing shower currently in posession of first team shirts, we are miles behind and falling rapidly

I think in all honesty we want to be beyond where Koeman is currently. I would say our aspiration is to be were Spurs are. Lest we forget that we got 72 points two years ago (good enough to come second this season) and before that had never missed out on the top 8 in a decade. Martinez has changed that in the last two years, hence why we are looking to change manager.

I really don't think capping the expectation at the level of Southampton or where we were under Moyes will go down well. If that's our aspiration then we can have Moyes back tomorrow, with no compensation who can pretty much guarantee that. Of course we want to be "better than Martinez" currently but that can't be the only criteria we have.

I know much of the post will depend on what happens in the summer transfers wise. If we don't spend much money and lose our bets players then of course the above is realistic. However if we are investing upwards of 100 million then I do not think being a Southampton will be enough for us. I know we've had a ropey two years and I put that down to Martinez but over the last 10 years, even under the difficult days of Moyes we have always been a top 8 team/club. I see us a top 8 club currently being mismanaged. Without investment that where I would want us to be. With investment the aim will need to be higher.

Koeman is a safe pick. If he comes I won't be on his back but I am not excited looking forward to the appointment. De Boer seems a much better fit to me and would excite the fans much more.

Spot on really, its a safe pick for ensuring mid table mediocrity or a bit higher but not a statement appointment to show ambition or intent.

Remember yeara ago when we were linked to Megson? It just feels like that all over again...a boring unambitious managerial choice.

Having said that, were mid table now and some fans want us to sit in 6th-8th and are happy to see us at the west brom /stoke level...its demoralising.

I cant see the point of changing a manager who has us in 12th for someone who coule either hit 8th or be a disaster like at valencia or benfica.

We should be aiming far higher.

For anyone who doubts Koeman is a good choice, compare his record at Southampton to Pochettino's. I think most on here would love Pochettino as manager, but in Koeman's two years at Southampton he's achieved a higher points total than Pochettino did there, despite that fact that several of their best players were sold in the past two summers.

With more money to spend and a better squad Pochettino has moved Spurs onto the next level. Maybe Koeman could do the same for us. Yes, he wasn't great at Valencia or AZ, but he was only given 5 months at Valencia and 3 months at AZ (but still better than Pochettino at Espanyol in both cases) and most managers have the odd blip on their CV. Just look at Mourinho at Chelsea this season.

For those of you saying he's only done at Southampton what Moyes did for us, it's now much harder to achieve a top 7 place than it was during Moyes time and we're talking about Southampton here, who were playing in League One not so long ago.

All four of the serious candidates mentioned have at least some element of risk attached to them.

Pellegrini's City are in grave danger of missing out on a CL place and, despite the vast resources at his disposal, still have a dodgy defence.

De Boer hasn't managed outside of Holland and Ajax finished a distant 17 points behind PSV last season in a weak league. What happened there?

Mourinho doesn't appear to cope very well if things go wrong. Until this season, he's always been at clubs challenging for titles, so when the wheels came off at Chelsea he looked like a rabbit caught in headlights because his massive ego couldn't comprehend what was happening. I kept expecting him to say, "But I'm the special one." I'm not sure how he'd cope if he did end up coming to Everton and got off to a bad start.

In an ideal world, it would be great to get Mourinho and it would be a massive statement of intent, but I think Koeman would still be a good appointment.

Spot on really, its a safe pick for ensuring mid table mediocrity or a bit higher but not a statement appointment to show ambition or intent.

Remember yeara ago when we were linked to Megson? It just feels like that all over again...a boring unambitious managerial choice

We should be aiming far higher.

Like me, do you have money on another manager which is not Ronald Koeman? :p Koeman is a little better than Megson heh but I feel your point totally.

Is all largely true.
But, imagine the scrutiny he would be under with every point dropped at home never mind a home loss.
Yes - practically speaking it would be difficult to overcome. But potentially do-able over time. Well worth considering

Not convinced by Pellegrini given Man City achievements. The last few months have been challenging I guess given that his successor was announced - not a great move

And De Boer doesn't have that track record of success in top leagues

someone should do a koeman or de boer poll because I think these are the most likely candidates.

we all know we'd pick mourinho, but a de boer or koeman poll could be interesting

West Ham are already talking about spending £50 million on a already decent squad, we need to spend four times that to replace the under performing shower currently in posession of first team shirts, we are miles behind and falling rapidly

Nah. We've been mis-managed. We've got a better squad than you think.

West Ham, they're just enjoying their time in the spotlight - bragging about cut price season ticket sales and blabbing about buying a Prem striker for £25m. It's all for show. All they're doing is driving up the price when it comes to player purchases. Good side and good manager, but a good manager would get enough out of our current squad to beat them over a season.

Yes - practically speaking it would be difficult to overcome. But potentially do-able over time. Well worth considering

Not convinced by Pellegrini given Man City achievements. The last few months have been challenging I guess given that his successor was announced - not a great move

And De Boer doesn't have that track record of success in top leagues

I too have gone off the idea of Pellegrini.

We really need to make a statement of intent, to re-vitalise our fan base, attract the attention of the media and project ourselves to the head of the queue for possible transfer market activity... and to that aim, Jose has always been my preference and surely trumps all other candidates.

However, if that can't/won't happen, then on reflection I think the FSW would get my nod over Koeman.

As someone else said, if we're supposedly talking to up to four "A-List" candidates, well of those available, I can only give Jose that rating.
Rafael would be a B+ for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back