Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is relevant, yes - given that a lot of the fan base will think irrationally. But in hard headed terms this sort of thing shouldn't matter - its about results

It's like people going off Moyes after 10 years of success at the club because he tried to sign Baines & Fellaini and made some inept media comments, while he was out of his depth trying to succeed SAF at Man U

Alright, explain how it is irrational to not want a fella who belittled our club's history and reputation to be its next manager.

It's sad that some Evertonians would want him leading this club.

It's like when you clock a fit girl you went to school with out in town who used to rip you for being ugly and desperate, but now that she's had a few kids and a few drinks that night you think you have a shot to get your end away. Have some dignity and self-respect and go for her fitter mate while she's stood there waiting for one of her baby daddies to send her a winky face at 3am.

Find it bizarre how people look at highest league positions and decide that's how good a manager is, like it's that simple.

"Koeman reached 6th with Soton so that's his level. Pellegrini and de Boer won the league so they're 'winners' and will win stuff with us."

It's just the most hilariously oversimplified way to judge something that's really, really complicated. And logically flawed in SO many obvious ways.

I guess it depends on two things. If kenwright has any say in the appointment, I very much doubt Rafael is on any shortlist. Also his ties to Liverpool are still very strong, he would not get the reception he got last month at anfield going there as Everton manager.
But then again if moshiri promises big money for him to spend and he still lives on the Wirral, who knows? Just can't see it myself.
Agree unlikely for emotional reasons such as these

BUT - he will most likely be available and has a track record of success far exceeding most of the competition

'He is the only manager in history to have won the UEFA Cup, UEFA Super Cup, UEFA Champions League and the FIFA Club World Cup'

Managed Real, Inter, Valencia, Chelsea, Liverpool - not a bad CV!

Find it bizarre how people look at highest league positions and decide that's how good a manager is, like it's that simple.

"Koeman reached 6th with Soton so that's his level. Pellegrini and de Boer won the league so they're 'winners' and will win stuff with us."

It's just the most hilariously oversimplified way to judge something that's really, really complicated. And logically flawed in SO many obvious ways.
I think if we want to break the top 4 we should be looking for someone with the know how and experience of the pressure of regularly competing and winning at the top of the table

We saw the difference with Moyes going to Man U

Koeman has far more managerial experience than De Boer. He's done well in the prem so far but not proven league winner. We could do worse but think we should be going for a proven winner, especially now we have the Moshiri money

De Boer is proven in Holland. Does that mean McClaren could be included in the considerations? Having a 'proven' manager from abroad does not guarantee success in the Premier League and finding a manager that has had success here and would move to us is highly unlikely. Maybe we could tempt Alex Ferguson to come out of retirement for one last go?

Take it that Ranieri has now moved into the bracket of being a winner?

People that are advocating De Boer ahead of Koeman like he is on another level need to take a step back and think. Steve McClaren looked like Fergie over there FFS.
It's about potential for me.

There's a belief that De Boer could be special. That he's a relatively young manager who has maybe gone a bit stale in his current job but could come over and revitalise the club. He's a big name and you feel he could improve as a manager. I think Koeman is a 'safe' choice. He's likely to do a good job, but you don't necessarily see him doing a great one. People have compared Koeman and Pochettino's records at Spurs but that's missing the point in my opinion - Pochettino is 10 years younger.

The same thing applies to players, if we sell Lukaku and sign Bony, i'd be fine with that. He's a decent player and i know he'll do a decent job for us, but really i'd be wishing we'd signed an exciting 21/22 year old who just might turn out to be world class.

Alright, explain how it is irrational to not want a fella who belittled our club's history and reputation to be its next manager.

It's sad that some Evertonians would want him leading this club.

It's like when you clock a fit girl you went to school with out in town who used to rip you for being ugly and desperate, but now that she's had a few kids and a few drinks that night you think you have a shot to get your end away. Have some dignity and self-respect and go for her fitter mate while she's stood there waiting for one of her baby daddies to send her a winky face at 3am.
Don't think the dating analogy is relevant. It's basically whether the comments when managing a rival mean anything. It's a results business - he gets results

It's about potential for me.

There's a belief that De Boer could be special. That he's a relatively young manager who has maybe gone a bit stale in his current job but could come over and revitalise the club. He's a big name and you feel he could improve as a manager. I think Koeman is a 'safe' choice. He's likely to do a good job, but you don't necessarily see him doing a great one. People have compared Koeman and Pochettino's records at Spurs but that's missing the point in my opinion - Pochettino is 10 years younger.

The same thing applies to players, if we sell Lukaku and sign Bony, i'd be fine with that. He's a decent player and i know he'll do a decent job for us, but really i'd be wishing we'd signed an exciting 21/22 year old who just might turn out to be world class.
Martinez had potential though and look what happened. We have the money now, need a proven winner

Don't think the dating analogy is relevant. It's basically whether the comments when managing a rival mean anything. It's a results business - he gets results

Does he though?

He's not exactly been anything outstanding since Liverpool and even that time was swings and roundabouts.

He went to Inter and got sacked within months.

Took over from Di Mateo at Chelsea and took them to the Europa League final.

He then went to Napoli and lasted just about 2 years where he managed to finish 3rd and lifted the Coppa Italia during a time when Inter and AC Milan were really struggling.

At Madrid he was hounded out by the players and the fans.

Now he's at Newcastle.

I mean he's won two trophies but he hasn't built anything and I saw the team he built at Liverpool, THAT's the man you want to lead us?

No thanks.

Martinez had potential though and look what happened. We have the money now, need a proven winner
Yeah I know what you mean, but it depends what you class as a 'proven winner'. I've never really understood the 'winners' and 'losers' tags. Do his two league titles, 1 FA Cup and 1 ECWC make Howard Kendall a winner? Or does the fact he lost 3 cup finals, and threw away a substantial lead in the title race, make him a loser? Guardiola has won loads, but has failed to take a team who were reigning European champs past the semi finals in 3 attempts. Winner or loser?

GIF-what-George-C.-Scott-Dr.-Strangelove-GIF.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back