Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Koeman isn't the marquee signing I'm looking for. It's the type of manager we'd be in for without a billionare owner and Bill still calling the shots.

I might be wrong but I think Koeman is a Dutch Moyes...cos of similar PL records.

Funnily enough, I believe he could be a very good appointment. He's had a somewhat nomadic career so far in management, but with the right backing in terms of finance and support, I think he could do a very good job for us over 3-5 years, and if more successful than anticipated then over a longer period.

I'd say we'd definitely be Europa League contenders under him, and depending on recruitment we should be contenders for the CL. Ranieri has proven there are no longer limitations if you hit upon a winning formula - I don't see an obvious reason why Koeman couldn't get pretty close to what Ranieri has achieved. From what I hear, Moshiri really likes the guy and his ideas, which in terms of building something over time seems a good starting point.
That certainly Sounds like Koeman wants the job, rather than us trying to persuade him to come?

Funnily enough, I believe he could be a very good appointment. He's had a somewhat nomadic career so far in management, but with the right backing in terms of finance and support, I think he could do a very good job for us over 3-5 years, and if more successful than anticipated then over a longer period.

I'd say we'd definitely be Europa League contenders under him, and depending on recruitment we should be contenders for the CL. Ranieri has proven there are no longer limitations if you hit upon a winning formula - I don't see an obvious reason why Koeman couldn't get pretty close. From what I hear, Moshiri really likes the guy and his ideas, which in terms of building something over time seems a good starting point.

Thing is mate, Ranieri has gotten this reputation as a failiure - largely unwarrented due to his time beign a figure of fun with the Media over here - 'nearly'[ man he has been, but he has in his career finsihed 2nd in the Spainish, English and Italian leagues, not aware of any club he actually bombed out on off the top of my head anyway.

Don't know if you saw the article i copied from Koemans time at Valencia (a guardian article from Lowe - who isn't actually a bad journo as they go), but if you haven't give it a read if you have time, i don't know what makes you think Koeman could be a success here really as he has never shown anything special in his managerial career up to this point, his performance in Holland is what you would expect from any half competent manager at those clubs - and significantly worse than some have managed at each, his record at both benfica (bad) and Valencia (absolutely terrible) and then DSaints where he has taken over a team and kind of kept them in the same bracket as they where previously - a team well adrift of the top 4 - who are around the Europa places 8th the season before he took them over, 6th last season, and looks pretty likely they will come 8th again this season.

He has indeed had a nomadic career - but i'd point out the fact it has followed a very similar pattern, - do ok in the Netherlands - get a move abroad to a big team and then bomb out, go back to the Netherlands to rebuild his reputation and start again, yes he did well in managing to replace a lot of departed players at Southampton, but did he benefit from the fact he took over from what has been shown to have been a VERY excpetional manager who left behind a group with a good mentality and fintess and togetherness.

I know it is all about opinions etc, but i cannot see koeman coming here making even the slightest ripple on the footballing world, will be seen as a mid level manager moving from one team to another with better finances

But that was eight years ago. Nearly every manager has a stint in their career where that type of thing happens.

Okay you're not keen on him we get that, but you're another who is being selective in finding anything negative you can about the man.

It's best to look at what he's doing more recently rather than eight years ago, and he's doing a fantastic Job at Southampton.

I've also noted that a number of Southampton players have recently come out in the press and stated how important it is that Koeman stays at Southampton.

He may well have "lost the players" eight years ago at Valencia, but the current Saints lot seem to think an awful lot of him.

Just for balance like.

Fair point mate, he took over a team that was in 8th the season before he arrived and at the end of this season they will likely finish in 8th

and it's not about being not keen and trying to find negative thigns mate, he has had two 'major' jobs outside of Holland valencia and benfica and bombed out in both, so was itnerested to find out 'exactly' what went wrong at both.

Some managers just fit a certain team or group of players well, maybe for Saints that is him with them, but equally you have to look at both sides of the discusssion

As an example - i remember Swansea players and fans being desperate to keep hold of Rodgers as well, for just reason really, he was the best they have had, and for Saitns they are always one bad managing appointment away from being in trouble

I've reached the point now where I've decided to take a chill pill about the whole process of appointing Roberto's successor! There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Roberto is gone, unfortunately its been allowed to get messy now which I don't quite understand, but Esk's snippets and the mere sight of Roberto during interviews and his press conferences are confirmation enough!
Re his successor, at the moment I am just trying to trust in the fact there is an ace plan in place and despite everything that has gone on in the past, and the debacle we have witnessed since that dreadful "defining" week, that Mr Moshiri will get this right!
If it's Mourhino absolutely great, if it's not I'll take a deep breath then hope whoever it is is given the time (at least three years) and support by the board to sort out the mess that whoever it may be is going to inherit!
Interesting times!

I'd say we'd definitely be Europa League contenders under him, and depending on recruitment we should be contenders for the CL. Ranieri has proven there are no longer limitations if you hit upon a winning formula - I don't see an obvious reason why Koeman couldn't get pretty close to what Ranieri has achieved. From what I hear, Moshiri really likes the guy and his ideas, which in terms of building something over time seems a good starting point.
wonder what kind of ideas koeman has :)

Still hoping for Mourinho but I'm aware that may be a tad unrealistic, if not then definitely Koeman for me. What he dealt with at Southampton when he got there (losing squads stars) and to produce that first season was fantastic, but to back it up with an even better one is really very very good. Also he seems to talk straight, no BS, which will be a welcome change for Evertonians.

Don't want Pelligrini one bit. The two Dutch league managers are unproven in this league, and from various tweets ive seen from Ajax fans they're not arsed one bit that FDB is potentially off.

If the project is to get us back to a Moyes level with an additional, "And who knows what else", I'm disappointed & unconvinced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back