Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth

Jose : 9/10 - His flaws are well known, but he's successful, and I like that

Pellegrini - 7.5/10 - would have been an 8 but his record at City given his budget is only so so

Koeman - 7/10 - would be a solid, but fairly uninspiring appointment

De Boer - 6.5/10 - an unknown, could turn out great, could be awful

By comparison ....

Martinez now - 5/10
Martinez when appointed - 6.5/10
Martinez at end of season one - 8/10.

When Pocchetino left Saints - he was 42 and had only been managing for 5 years and had only managed 2 clubs, so he was very much a manager still learning and improving as his record has shown

IF Koeman leaves Saints to go to us, he will be 54, having been managing for 19 years, and has managed 8 clubs prior to us - plus 2 more as an assistant manager

Points totals mean absolutely nothing really, AVB had a higher points total than Pocch will this season - was he a better manager, obviously he wasn't - the league placings show that.

Yup Pocchetino failed at Espanyol - but it was his first managerial role as well and Espanyol - done well first two seasons finishing mid table with a distinctly lower than mid table side, then sacked after a horrible start to the third season with 9 points in 13 games

Koeman on the other hand took over a team in the CL the season he arrived and by the last 5 games had them 2 points off the rlegation spots and on the back of a 5-1 loss when sacked - the latest in 4 consecutive losses for Valencia - 1 win 3 draws and 6 losses in their last 10 games, the new caretaker manager came in and won 4 of the last 5 games and finished mid table (10th), Valencia kept hold of Koeman then they looked odds on to go down mate, and getting Valencia relegated would have been an absolutely horrendous achievement to have done

Valencias record before Koeman managed them 1st, 7th, 3rd, 4th after he left them the following years they finished in 6th, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd

He was utterly shocking their, look up his win percentage - think from memory it was mid/low 30%, and that includes winning i think the copa del rey - so his league percentage will have been absolutely horrendous

I don't entirely disagree with you, mate. I'd be a little bit undewhelmed with Koeman, especially after the links with Mourinho, but he's currently doing a good job, has proven himself in the premier league and may prove to be a better appointment than many think.

Yes, he didn't do well at Valencia during his short spell there, from which he may have learnt a few lessons, but Mourinho didn't do well at Chelsea this season either, so do we also discount him?

As I said in my earlier post, all the candidates have an element of risk attached, and just about every manager who's been managing for a number of years has the odd blip or two on their CV. Even legends like Ferguson and Clough have had disastrous seasons.

Koeman may not be the most exciting appointment, but he wouldn't be a bad one.

For what it's worth

Jose : 9/10 - His flaws are well known, but he's successful, and I like that

Pellegrini - 7.5/10 - would have been an 8 but his record at City given his budget is only so so

Koeman - 7/10 - would be a solid, but fairly uninspiring appointment

De Boer - 6.5/10 - an unknown, could turn out great, could be awful

By comparison ....

Martinez now - 5/10
Martinez when appointed - 6.5/10
Martinez at end of season one - 8/10.

5/10 for Martinez seems very generous....

Despite Ranieri finishing 2nd in 3 countries, I don't think any of those achievements/ squads were neccassarily at same level as to what he's just achieved at Leicester. I certainly never saw him as a failure, but equally nor did I see him doing too well at Leicester. I don't think any of us truly know what it takes to be a successful manager, therefore it's very difficult to make a judgement on say Koeman as one example. For every Pochetino & Ranieri, there's a Martinez, Rogers, LVG etc. Managers that were expected to do well at certain clubs didn't/ havnt and vice versa. I certainly couldn't of predicted just how well Pochitino or Ranieri have done, equally expected far more from LVG at Utd. It's almost impossible to predict and whether it be Koeman or someone else, they'll get my full support until they otherwise don't deserve it. Similarly as to the demise of Martinez

5/10 for Martinez seems very generous....

Even though this is the internet, I was giving being totally objective a try.

If average is, say, 6.5 and average means you're achieving things in proportion to your wage budget, transfer budget and quality of squad then a 6.5 would put us something like 7th to 9th in the league.

Over achieving scores of 7.5 to 8 might put us fifth or sixth.

A score of 5 is underachieving by quite a bit, and and puts us roughly where we are.

Scores of 4 or below are massively underachieving and would have us well and truly in a relegation fight.

Anyone who takes the job next will have a difficult time matching the fan's ambition of where we want to be in my opinion. Even Mourinho. It's a patience game, I'm not expecting things to get brighter straight away, the league is increasingly difficult. Mourinho would be great coming off the back of someone bringing a bit of stable consistency for a season or two. He's my dream candidate for sure, but can he do it at a club he's unfamiliar with and a squad that needs some work and development.

Slightly off topic. But if UTD do this then we surely have to be an option for Mourinho....

Ferguson playing games with the board to kep LVG in a job, can see that now, Pocchetino to take over next season getting sold to the owners etc, Pocchetino gets one season to make a big impact in the league or CL with spurs and if he doesn't he then has the option of unlimited finances at United.

Slightly off topic. But if UTD do this then we surely have to be an option for Mourinho....

I don't think they'd leave a secret meeting together at the same time. He'd be a good appointment for UTD mind, maybe they're putting the squeeze on Jose. Odd picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back