Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He will burn all his bridges within 3 years like he always does, his own ego is far more important than any club to him, he wastes money just buying random players then farming them out on loan, he lets players like De Bruyne and to a lesser extent Lukaku when they had no strikers, he lost the dressing room at Chelsea because he thinks it's all about him.

There is no doubt he wins trophies his record proves that but a 3 year Mourinho reign here isn't what we need in my honest opinion. Do we have 3 years of him coming in and then walking away to manage Utd after using us as a toy whilst waiting and do you think if he came then Utd or Madrid came calling he wouldn't drop us in a heart beat for them? I want a manager who wants to come and build a team for the next 10 years.

Hahaha.

A team for the next ten years.

We've actually seen this not work AT OUR VERY CLUB. We had a team created over 11 seasons by one manager, with an underlying sense of fight and pride being the one consistent quality.

It took the next manager 18 months to begin to cut that out and 3 years- your time line, not mine - after he started the club is now an unrecognisable mess.

Yeah, infinitely better than three years of trophies mate, that's some sound logic.

They don't exist pal, they will all be off from lil'ol everton to real madrid given the opportunity.

Not if we have half decent funding in place mate. What we have to remember is Everton give manageres TOTAL control over transfers etc, a good up and coming manager like De Boer or an experienced one like Pellegriini could easily stay here for years and build a side. Managers like Mourinho NEVER stay longer than 3 years anywhere so there's not a chance he would stay here more than that plus every big club will be sniffing around Mourinho from the day he joins the press will be linking him every week with returns to Chelsea, Madrid, Inter or joining Utd it'll be incessant. A stalwart like Pelligrini or a De Boer who'll quietly slip under the radar whilst slowly building is what I want.

Be arsed with the circus that surrounds Mourinho and the press constantly belittling us how we are "punching above our weight" or how he's just biding his time for a "bigger" job. The club will constantly be unstable if he comes because noone will know from one season to the next if he'll be here.

Not sure if it's the most appropriate place but having done some consideration I have come to the following conclusion re Koeman.

If we are to go through the humiliation of Saturday, and have the lap of honour for some senior players completely ruined the club better have a top name ready to come in to justify keeping him for all this time. Given that De Boer is now available and could be in charge Saturday at a push, it would need to be a bigger name than him. Koeman doesn't fit that bill and in all honesty it would be a further kick in the teeth to the fans if we keep Martinez all this time, to allow for a search to come up with Koeman as the answer.

I am trying to be balanced with Koeman but the board have a lot of making up to do after the shambles of the last few weeks. Koeman is not good enough for what they have put is through over that time.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I'm sceptical in the extreme that we will now end up with anyone of a higher calibre. I hope at the very least that the club are being crystal clear as regards the board/executive structure that a new manager will have to work with. Moshiri is the new overlord, but it doesn't seem quite as simple as that and I grow more confused by the day by the relationship between Kenwright and Moshiri, the apparent timescale for a 'handover' if this is required, and in the absence of any leadership at the club for months, who exactly does what at Everton now.

I hope potential candidates don't end up as confused as I am. This is without mentioning the size of the rebuild now apparent - that may be appealing to some but not to others.

Just my hunch, but I think Koeman is appealing (internally) as Moshiri becomes more aware of the rebuild required, he has PL experience, and will be seen as a stabilising influence. I also think if Koeman ultimately gets the job and restores to the Moyes' era league placings over 2-3 seasons, Moshiri may likely instigate a further change of manager then, to take us to the so-called 'next-level'.

I don't think that is an unrealistic scenario given the state of affairs currently. A Director of Football, would in addition, provide a direct football link to the board and ease any transition to a possible "Phase 2" manager.

Koeman is certainly underwhelming though, let's not pretend he fulfills the "statement of intent" template.

Not if we have half decent funding in place mate. What we have to remember is Everton give manageres TOTAL control over transfers etc, a good up and coming manager like De Boer or an experienced one like Pellegriini could easily stay here for years and build a side. Managers like Mourinho NEVER stay longer than 3 years anywhere so there's not a chance he would stay here more than that plus every big club will be sniffing around Mourinho from the day he joins the press will be linking him every week with returns to Chelsea, Madrid, Inter or joining Utd it'll be incessant. A stalwart like Pelligrini or a De Boer who'll quietly slip under the radar whilst slowly building is what I want.

Be arsed with the circus that surrounds Mourinho and the press constantly belittling us how we are "punching above our weight" or how he's just biding his time for a "bigger" job. The club will constantly be unstable if he comes because noone will know from one season to the next if he'll be here.
In some ways you're not wrong.

The flip side is that IF we pulled it off and got Mourinho in, even if only for a couple of years, our profile in world football, with fans, media, players, future managers and sponsors would absolutely skyrocket.

He'd most likely only be at the club for two years, but it would be the most effective and efficient springboard back towards where we want to be.

Hahaha.

A team for the next ten years.

We've actually seen this not work AT OUR VERY CLUB. We had a team created over 11 seasons by one manager, with an underlying sense of fight and pride being the one consistent quality.

It took the next manager 18 months to begin to cut that out and 3 years- your time line, not mine - after he started the club is now an unrecognisable mess.

Yeah, infinitely better than three years of trophies mate, that's some sound logic.

Ha ha ha, you speak like Mourinho will just walk in and win us trophies for 3 years like it's a given? News flash mate, it's not, nothing is guaranteed. Look at what happened at Chelsea this season it's not a given.

Yes I want a long term prospectmanager not an egotistical one who will be off as soon as United click their fingers (and they eventually will) there will be more Fergusons and to a lesser extent Wengers out there mate, some club will land one and why not us. Whoever we get is a gamble no one knows if the new manager will succeed no matter who he is but I'd sooner go for a long term plan than a short term fix.

Ha ha ha, you speak like Mourinho will just walk in and win us trophies for 3 years like it's a given? News flash mate, it's not, nothing is guaranteed. Look at what happened at Chelsea this season it's not a given.

Where have I said it is guaranteed?

Our chances would be massively enhanced with a coach of Mourinho's calibre - those are the facts. Not guaranteed - enhanced.

Three years is about right for most major coaches these days. We could always "ride out the storm" and give Martinez a few more years if you like with this excellent philosophy of yours?

Nah, you're alright.

You're talking as if De Boer would be a long term plan. Four years and he's moved from his boyhood club. So who else would stay long term?

Where have I said it is guaranteed?

Our chances would be massively enhanced with a coach of Mourinho's calibre - those are the facts. Not guaranteed - enhanced.

Three years is about right for most major coaches these days. We could always "ride out the storm" and give Martinez a few more years if you like with this excellent philosophy of yours?

Nah, you're alright.

You're talking as if De Boer would be a long term plan. Four years and he's moved from his boyhood club. So who else would stay long term?

Considering you hear Enrique saying that managers should only be given 6 month contracts - Ill be absolutely amazed if we see many managers get to the 10 year mark again.

Id happily take the amazing ride we would go on under Mourinho.

People saying they don't want him, and people saying they want Rafael is just all kinda wrong.

Its like an episode of lost or something.

If Pochettino goes to Utd it won't help us, cos Mourinho will most likely be off to Spurs

I reckon LVG will ride it out for another year tbh... If he does then the meeting with Pochettino takes up another slant that they are lining him up for post LVG.

If they ask Mourinho to wait a year there isn't a chance in hell he would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back