Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen Mourinho lately? He's miserable as hell and totally lost the plot at Chelsea. Yes, he's had success at Inter, Chelsea, and Real Madrid. But he spent the most money getting them titles in their respective leagues. He's has had money to burn. I would question his motivation if he came to Everton. He clearly wants to manage Man Utd and a champions league club. IMO he needs time off football because he's clearly lost his spark. The next step for him is International management.

United don't want Mourinho because they are on their high horse thinking United teams should play "entertaining football". Their prawn sandwich brigade weren't impressed with Moyes and hate Van Gaal's methods. And Mourinho teams are never great to watch.

Frank De Boer would be a good appointment. And I think him and Pellegrini are the two clear favourites to get the job.

Has anyone seen Mourinho lately? He's miserable as hell and totally lost the plot at Chelsea. Yes, he's had success at Inter, Chelsea, and Real Madrid. But he spent the most money getting them titles in their respective leagues. He's has had money to burn. I would question his motivation if he came to Everton. He clearly wants to manage Man Utd and a champions league club. IMO he needs time off football because he's clearly lost his spark. The next step for him is International management.

United don't want Mourinho because they are on their high horse thinking United teams should play "entertaining football". Their prawn sandwich brigade weren't impressed with Moyes and hate Van Gaal's methods. And Mourinho teams are never great to watch.

Frank De Boer would be a good appointment. And I think him and Pellegrini are the two clear favourites to get the job.
Hi didn't have money to burn at Porto and he won the champions league and the Europa league there

Probably rubbish, but the Express have reported on a story from Spain that Mourinho's going to Valencia. Hmmm.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...ar-Deal-Manchester-United-Snubbed-Ed-Woodward

Man United stunned: Jose Mourinho set to sign five-year deal to manage Spanish club
JOSE MOURINHO is close to signing a five-year deal with Valencia, according to reports in Spain.
By JAMES CAMBRIDGE
PUBLISHED: 07:52, Thu, May 12, 2016 | UPDATED: 08:13, Thu, May 12, 2016

Jose Mourinho has reportedly agreed to join Valencia

Mourinho has been linked with the Manchester United job for months and Express Sportunderstands he is the No 1 candidate to replace Louis van Gaal - if he leaves this summer.

However, Van Gaal has suggested he is staying, claiming this month he would see out the remainder of his three-year deal.

"We have a process of three years. I wanted to sign for two years, they wanted three years – not me," he said.

"I signed for three years, so next year you see me again.”

And now reports in Spain indicate Mourinho is close to agreeing a deal with Valencia who are in the market for a permanent boss.

The La Liga side have endured a disappointing season and following the sacking Gary Neville appointed assistant Pako Ayestaran in March on a temporary basis.

Journalists from Spanish outlet Punto Pelota claim Mourinho's agent Jorge Mendes is sorting out a five-year deal for him to join Valencia.

Juan Gato wrote: "The coach rests these days in Ibiza, while his representative Jorge Mendes closed yesterday in Valencia the fringes of signing with Peter Lim - £36million for five seasons."

And fellow journalist Jordi Anjauma claimed on twitter he has it on good authority that Mourinho is set for a move to the Mestalla Stadium.

"A very reliable source informs me Mourinho will sign for Valencia in order to play at Barca and Madrid in the league," he added.

According to some Ajax fans, de Boer's style of football isn't much better. They think it's too defensive and boring.

I would argue that that's exactly what we need next season, to steady this sinking ship

Probably rubbish, but the Express have reported on a story from Spain that Mourinho's going to Valencia. Hmmm.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/foot...ar-Deal-Manchester-United-Snubbed-Ed-Woodward

Man United stunned: Jose Mourinho set to sign five-year deal to manage Spanish club
JOSE MOURINHO is close to signing a five-year deal with Valencia, according to reports in Spain.
By JAMES CAMBRIDGE

Mourinho has been linked with the Manchester United job for months and Express Sportunderstands he is the No 1 candidate to replace Louis van Gaal - if he leaves this summer.

However, Van Gaal has suggested he is staying, claiming this month he would see out the remainder of his three-year deal.

"We have a process of three years. I wanted to sign for two years, they wanted three years – not me," he said.

And now reports in Spain indicate Mourinho is close to agreeing a deal with Valencia who are in the market for a permanent boss.

The La Liga side have endured a disappointing season and following the sacking Gary Neville appointed assistant Pako Ayestaran in March on a temporary basis.

Journalists from Spanish outlet Punto Pelota claim Mourinho's agent Jorge Mendes is sorting out a five-year deal for him to join Valencia.

Juan Gato wrote: "The coach rests these days in Ibiza, while his representative Jorge Mendes closed yesterday in Valencia the fringes of signing with Peter Lim - £36million for five seasons."

And fellow journalist Jordi Anjauma claimed on twitter he has it on good authority that Mourinho is set for a move to the Mestalla Stadium.

"A very reliable source informs me Mourinho will sign for Valencia in order to play at Barca and Madrid in the league," he added.
hahahahaha

Biggest myth in football.

Hmmm Greg O'Keefe doesn't sound totally sure he has gone, the echo seem to be running with the "surely no way back" line rather than "chance he is going today"

By JAMES CAMBRIDGE

No having that at all....

Another of the Mourinho Myths - ever playing youth:

http://www.oneworldsports.com/stories/duncan-castles-answering-mourinhos-critics

Duncan Castles on Jose Mourinho's critics
e894429166a443b18aeeec1d5d4606ac_f2901.jpg

When Jose Mourinho's critics reach for sticks to beat him with, they studiously avoid the manager's trophy cabinet. The standard complaints are that his football is too defensive; that his triumphs have been funded by excessive transfer spending; that he is a short-term coach who never remains long in a post; that he has zero interest in promoting players from a club's youth ranks.

These critiques persist regardless of clear evidence to the contrary. In some mystical manner, for example, Mourinho's alleged addiction to bus parking resulted in Real Madrid winning La Liga with a record points total, a record 121 goals scored, a record goal difference of 89, and a record number of 16 away wins in 19 fixtures.

Despite working for two of the most profligate clubs in world football – Roman Abramovich's early-era Chelsea and Florentino Perez's Madrid – the highest transfer fee a club has paid at his request is €38million. Moreover, bringing the English title back to Chelsea last year established Mourinho as the only manager to win the Premier League with a negative net spend on such fees.

As for length of tenure, leaving FC Porto after claiming back-to-back Portuguese Primeira Ligas, the UEFA Cup and the Champions League was essentially inevitable. Moving from Internazionale to Madrid after including another European Cup in an unprecedented Italian treble was also understandable. Twice Abramovich has terminated Mourinho's employment at Chelsea, yet his first stay at Stamford Bridge was just seven months shorter than Pep Guardiola's longest period in charge of a club. Though Guardiola exited Barcelona of his own volition, the Catalan is rarely criticized for supposed short-termism.

Manchester United’s inexperienced PLC board has floated all these critiques as reasons not to hire Mourinho to solve the club's manifest problems. This counter-factual debate all the more bizarre when current coach Louis van Gaal is on course to lead United's lowest scoring Premier League campaign, has spent far more on fees in two summers at Old Trafford than Sir Alex Ferguson did in 26, and claims to have promised his wife he will not continue in the job beyond 2017 whatever happens.

Some on United's board have also bought the line that Mourinho has no interest in developing the careers of young footballers. As one of Mourinho's closest friends in football, Eladio Parames, put it recently: “In Portugal there is an old saying: 'A lie repeated a thousand times is taken as a truth.' But, as a matter of fact, it doesn't stop being a lie, even if whoever hears or reads it may think it is true.”

Parames, who recommended Mourinho for his first managerial position and has advised him throughout his career, details his friend's actual track record on promoting youth. In reality, Mourinho's policy has been to play any youngster “with the ability to become top players and play for the first team.”

During his three years at Madrid – a club which buys global stars at record fees for marketing and political purposes – the Portuguese coach gave no less than 20 academy products their first-team debuts. In chronological order Mourinho's 'canteranos' were Juan Carlos, David Mateos, Antonio Adan, Pablo Sarabia, Alvaro Morata, Alex Fernandez, Nacho Fernandez, Tomas Mejias, Jesus Fernandez, Joselu, Pedro Mendes, Jese, Jorge Casado, Fernando Pacheco, Jose Rodriguez, Denis Cheryshev, Casemiro, Fabinho, Omar Mascarell and Diego Llorente.

“In the last three years at Madrid, with Carlo Ancelotti, Rafael Benitez and Zinedine Zidane, only nine canteranos had the opportunity to make their debut in the first team,” Parames said. “Yet it is claimed Mourinho was the one that didn't give opportunities to the young players. They were in his plans, they had their chances. Some were sold and Real Madrid made money for further investments. Others are still in the club.”

At Inter, another club obsessed with the transfer market, Mourinho made the 18-year-old Davide Santon his first-choice left back. At Porto, the 19-year-old Carlos Alberto became the second youngest footballer to score in a Champions League Final. A third teenager, Raphael Varane, went into the center of Madrid's defense ahead of Pepe and Sergio Ramos.

Even at Chelsea, a club whose academy has spent more on recruiting and preparing youngsters since Abramovich's arrival than any competitor yet failed to deliver a single individual who any of the Russian's carousel of coaches considered good enough to make a long-term starter, Mourinho attempted to promote youth. Steven Watt, Lenny Pidgeley, Anthony Grant, Jimmy Smith, Ben Sahar, Michael Woods, Sam Hutchinson, Lewis Baker, John Swift, Tomas Kalas, Dominic Solanke, Andreas Christensen, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Bertrand Traore are amongst his debutants. If many of the names – particularly from his first stint at Chelsea – are not well known, it is a reflection of what they have subsequently achieved in the sport rather than the opportunity offered to them.

Solanke is Chelsea's youngest ever Champions League player. Kalas played 90 minutes in Chelsea's critically important 2-0 win at Liverpool in 2014. Mourinho recognized Loftus-Cheek's talent, but sought to develop the highly paid teenager's mental strength. As soon as young signings such as Arjen Robben, Petr Cech and Kurt Zouma earned Mourinho's confidence, they became first-team regulars.

“There are young players in the first-team squads by option of their coaches, and there are some who only have their chance because of injuries in the first team players,” Parames said. “If it's impossible to deny that Mourinho's teams had an amazing record in a low number of injuries, then it is also important to reflect and see the reasons why some clubs and managers have to play with young players.

“At Madrid, Iker Casillas was put the bench so young Antonio Adan could play. Similarly, at Inter, Chivu was left out in favour of Santon. At Chelsea, Zouma was chosen ahead of Gary Cahill and David Luiz, and before that Carlo Cudicini had to give way to the young Cech. These were options. Not needs - options. Options from the coach that never gives a chance to young players.”

Or so that particular Mourinho myth goes.

Nobody wants to sacrifice winning. I din'tcare how we win as long as we win, I just think there are wiser choices than Mourinho. I can't believe people think he will just stroll in and automatically win us all kinds, it's niave to think that nothing is guaranteed.

No one is guaranteed. He increases your probability of winning more than any other manager though. Along with Guardiola and Ancelotti he has the best CV in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back