Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Next manager discussion (poll reset 21/05/2016)

Who would you want?

• Frank de Boer

Votes: 302 17.0%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 56 3.2%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 152 8.6%
  • Ronald Koeman

Votes: 286 16.1%
  • Other (please state below)

Votes: 109 6.1%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 870 49.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think he's better than those currently being outlined? Can you give us a bit of a pitch for him mate? Don't know much about him but do like the little I've heard!

I'm getting weirdly obsessed with him so I'll give it a go. Copy/pasting stuff I said a while back.

Last three jobs on his CV (oldest to newest):

Won the Swiss league with an average squad age of 21.5.
Took over 10th placed Hertha BSC and led them to 4th.
Totally revived the German 'sleeping giant' of Monchengladbach - took them over when they were in relegation playoffs. Guided them to 3rd and they're now firmly ensconced in the German elite again even though they're poor as balls.

Plays his own flexible version of a 4-4-2. Very defensively organised, extremely fast short-passing counterattacks.

Great track record with youth (in Germany too, not just in Switzerland). Brought through Reus and Ter Stegen for starters.

Passionate and massive attention to detail.

Is free.

Only black mark for me is he resigned from Moncengladbach (after such huge success with them for 4.5 years) after losing the first 5 games of this season. The club actually wanted to keep him on but he felt like he'd come to the end of what he can do there (which, considering how good Mourinho is and what happened at Chelsea this season, I think is actually kinda to be expected with almost any manager at any club after a significant amount of time). He left the club in a good state though and they're 4th right now.

Also - won German coach of the year (voted by the players) in 2009, 2011, 2012, first half of 2013/14, and 2015. Did the double over Guardiola last year too, who said Favre is 'one of the best coaches he has ever met' despite the hugely different styles.

Last edited:
was listening to Talksport and they had some dutch journo on talking about deBoer. He said he has an attacking philosophy that he won't move from. He could be 5-0 down and he wouldn't change his attacking approach.
Sounds familiar and worrying!
Wouldn't worry about that, he's got the best defensive record in the league. He knows how to defend.

Shut up mate

Come home Jose.
jose-mourinho-angry-sad-one-happy-funny-pic-image-photo-chelsea-man-city.jpg

Strong rumours about Nice :(

Watch this video from his first seasons in Gladbach. Fast-paced, high-tempo direct counterattacks. Lots of off-the-ball movement. Technical passing. And they only got better after that too.

Impressive stuff, no doubt he would do a good job for us.

I'm getting weirdly obsessed with him so I'll give it a go. Copy/pasting stuff I said a while back.

Last three jobs on his CV (oldest to newest):

Won the Swiss league with an average squad age of 21.5.
Took over 10th placed Hertha BSC and led them to 4th.
Totally revived the German 'sleeping giant' of Monchengladbach - took them over when they were in relegation playoffs. Guided them to 3rd and they're now firmly ensconced in the German elite again even though they're poor as balls.

Plays his own flexible version of a 4-4-2. Very defensively organised, extremely fast short-passing counterattacks.

Great track record with youth (in Germany too, not just in Switzerland). Brought through Reus and Ter Stegen for starters.

Passionate and massive attention to detail.

Is free.

Only black mark for me is he resigned from Moncengladbach (after such huge success with them for 4.5 years) after losing the first 5 games of this season. The club actually wanted to keep him on but he felt like he'd come to the end of what he can do there (which, considering how good Mourinho is and what happened at Chelsea this season, I think is actually kinda to be expected with almost any manager at any club after a significant amount of time). He left the club in a good state though and they're 4th right now.

Also - won German coach of the year (voted by the players) in 2009, 2011, 2012, first half of 2013/14, and 2015. Did the double over Guardiola last year too, who said Favre is 'one of the best coaches he has ever met' despite the hugely different styles.

That sounds like a very impressive resume, so thank you! Do you think he has enough to win trophies? That seems to be the one blot on his copy book?

His work at Monchengladbach sounds very promising, and they are similar to ourselves in structure. I wouldn't turn my nose up at him at all!

QUOTE="pkchambers, post: 4476939, member: 24588"]BBC yesterday.

Manchester Evening News on delay of deal : http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...l-news/man-utd-news-mourinho-manager-11286998

Telegraph 12 days ago.

Even reported yesterday by onda cero a very Jorge Mendes briefed outlet in Spain with close links to Mourinho that hrs already planning transfers and wants varane!

Needs to stop being discussed with even a hint of seriousness. De Boer or pellegrini for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back