• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Non League Football

I knew this last week, but yesterday the Welsh FA released a statement about the u19 Euro championship in wales, my club are amongst other clubs in the region who have been chosen as a training complex where one of the top seeds will be based, This is a great boost for us as they’ve announced a £3 million package to improve facilities at the chosen clubs.

Fantastic news for Welsh Football this.

Grounds are already full of character but a bit of money into Training facilities would be great to see.

Fantastic news for Welsh Football this.

Grounds are already full of character but a bit of money into Training facilities would be great to see.
Yeah, we’ve not been chosen as a venue to host a game this time (we have hosted youth internationals in the past) but as a training venue/base. The improvements to our ground though will have a lasting effect for not just this generation but the ones to follow too, our youth set up is fantastic and a credit to the coaches who make it so, having top notch facilities will only enhance the reputation of the club.

4-1 win for Thornton Cleveleys against Route One Rovera in the NWCL north.

0-1 down at half time and missed a first half penalty.
What sort of daft name is route one rovers?
Where's their association with the area they are from?
Like Hashtag United etc

What sort of daft name is route one rovers?
Where's their association with the area they are from?
Like Hashtag United etc
They were/are an amateur side who started at Step 11 of the pyramid about 10 years ago so I don't think they were entirely worried about historical and geographic connections.

They're like a pub side without the pub who've done surprisingly well.

They were/are an amateur side who started at Step 11 of the pyramid about 10 years ago so I don't think they were entirely worried about historical and geographic connections.

They're like a pub side without the pub who've done surprisingly well.
Yeah there's a few like that in my local area. 'Glebe' , 'Red velvet ' to name two. It doesn't help with building a fan base I feel however.
Eastbourne borough are another example being called Langley sports previously. This helped them get an identity and draw fans.

Was toying with going the Roma friendly tomorrow but looking at the tickets reminded me of how crap the view is from a lot of the seats at Goodison. So, if Mrs CT hasn't got anything planned I may well head down to Prescot Cables v Matlock Town. Much cheaper tickets, competitive game and I can take my (much cheaper) beer out to the stand.

Quite a few signings through the door as well after a chaotic summer. Scott Wara (Fijian International), Andre Mendes (Brazilian keeper, formerly Benfica youth) and Nelson Digbeu (French defender in from...Skem!), Owen Cushion (Wrexham) and a couple of others.

Was toying with going the Roma friendly tomorrow but looking at the tickets reminded me of how crap the view is from a lot of the seats at Goodison. So, if Mrs CT hasn't got anything planned I may well head down to Prescot Cables v Matlock Town. Much cheaper tickets, competitive game and I can take my (much cheaper) beer out to the stand.

Quite a few signings through the door as well after a chaotic summer. Scott Wara (Fijian International), Andre Mendes (Brazilian keeper, formerly Benfica youth) and Nelson Digbeu (French defender in from...Skem!), Owen Cushion (Wrexham) and a couple of others.

Nelson Digbeu is a top defender for step 3/4, played for Widnes a couple of seasons ago and was integral to us staying up. Been on trial with us all pre season too and then Cables jumped in at the last minute and snatched him.

Nice momentous occasion for Marine today, as we play our first ever game at Step 2, at home to Oxford City, who were relegated from the National League last season.

£15 to get in for adults if anyone is stuck for something to do.

We're probably a bit light upfront this weekend, our two main strikers Bobby Grant and Fin Sinclair-Smith both missing this weekend but back next weekend for Scunthorpe (that's a pinch me moment, went to Scunthorpe in 1997 and 2011 with Everton!).

But I'm hopeful of a 1,500 turnout today.

Have a good opening weekend everyone.

Fixtures (selected local)

National League North

Marine Vs. Oxford City
Southport Vs. Alfreton Town

Northern Premier League

Prescot Vs. Matlock

Northern Premier League - West
Bootle Vs. Nantwich
Widnes Vs. Kidsgrove

Others
Lower Breck, Litherland REMYCA & Maghull all at home. In the Counties.

Thornton Cleveleys with 2 wins on the bounce after a dramatic 95th minute winner in the week to win 4-3 at Darwen at home today against Daisy Hill.

Playing in a charity golf day this morning over 9 holes and then off to watch this afternoon. Let’s hope for 3 wins on the bounce which would be a fantastic turnaround after losing their opening 2 fixtures.
IMG_1989.jpeg

Thornton Cleveleys with 2 wins on the bounce after a dramatic 95th minute winner in the week to win 4-3 at Darwen at home today against Daisy Hill.

Playing in a charity golf day this morning over 9 holes and then off to watch this afternoon. Let’s hope for 3 wins on the bounce which would be a fantastic turnaround after losing their opening 2 fixtures.
View attachment 268345

6th... not bad! Other than the collapse at Euxton Villa, Maghull looking strong.

Heartbreak foe Marine who were excellent value for money fir the win against National League- relegated Oxford City.

The away team scored with practically the last kick of the game.

1350 there, gutted for all. Scunthorpe away next
It's a really big step up. I bet Oxford didn't bring many?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back