• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Non League Football

Watched level 9 non-league today. Absolutely amazing. Beer in the stands, less than a tenner to get in. It's definitely winning over more and more fans from the traditional big teams. Proper footy fans are turning to this for their fix and leaving leaving PL for the tourists.
I follow my local team home and away these days. Took a minibus down to Corwen yesterday to watch us play them in a league cup tie. 6.30pm kick off too which gave us a few hours to grab a few beers and some food before the game, sadly it was abandoned on 75mins as one of our players sustained a serious injury for which he’s still in hospital now.

As an aside to this, the ambulance quoted an 8 hour wait to get to him, luckily a few of us are first aid trained so were able to immobilise his leg and transfer him into the back of a car. Shocking state of affairs.

Second FA Cup qualifier of the weekend.

IMG_5542.jpeg

Having come through both the preliminary rounds, one of the lowest ranked teams in the tournament, my ‘town of birth’ club, Great Yarmouth Town (newly promoted from level 10), take on Cheshunt (level 7) at home at the Wellesley.

The Wellesley is home of what is believed by ‘Historic England’ to be the oldest surviving wooden grandstand still in use in England. First opened in the same year as Goodison, 1892.

IMG_5543.jpeg

Up The Bloaters!

View attachment 271628

Having come through both the preliminary rounds, one of the lowest ranked teams in the tournament, my ‘town of birth’ club, Great Yarmouth Town (newly promoted from level 10), take on Cheshunt (level 7) at home at the Wellesley.

The Wellesley is home of what is believed by ‘Historic England’ to be the oldest surviving wooden grandstand still in use in England. First opened in the same year as Goodison, 1892.

View attachment 271629

Up The Bloaters!

Wow, absolute stunner of a stand that.

Shame about the running track, but that's a beauty of a stand that.

View attachment 271628

View attachment 271629

Up The Bloaters!
Like an old school cricket pavilion

View attachment 271628

View attachment 271629

Up The Bloaters!
A lovely ground. 👍

I used to be full of vitriolic hatred to Liverpool, passion bursting at seems for Everton. Liverpool fans don't even bother goading me now, cause it's not getting a reaction.

I've seen the bad, the really bad, the Kendall Pt. 3, Smith 6-4-0 Formations, but I just feel nothing when I go the game now.

Marine, is alive and kicking. I'm not replaceable, in the sense that, my opinion matters, I may be missed if I don't go. Everton have 12,000 waiting for my seat (which I retain purely for my little boy), they don't care if I give it up.

But non-league is exactly what I imagine football was like before my time, working class lads, working hard for their money, mixing with the fans, sharing the highs and lows together.

It's absolutely amazing to see this thread booming with people loving their days out regardless of the result. That's what football should be about.
Another thing about being a regular is that more and more players eventually let on to you, get to know your face or will have a drink and a chat with you in the bar after the game or if you see them out and about.

Now obviously they aren't celebrities or anything but it does foster a different kind of relationship with the team you support.

Another thing about being a regular is that more and more players eventually let on to you, get to know your face or will have a drink and a chat with you in the bar after the game or if you see them out and about.

Now obviously they aren't celebrities or anything but it does foster a different kind of relationship with the team you support.

I went to Colne away a couple of seasons ago, and one of Widnes’ subs Josh Quarless spent the half time warm up stood talking to me and a couple of other lads next to the dugout about Fantasy Football and who he had captained that week hahaha.

My itchy feet took me up north this week
South Shields v Chorley, National League North on Tuesday, decent ground with a big main stand and plenty of food and drink outlets. Chorley had most of the chances in the first half but didn’t make the most of it and South Shields scored the only goal of the game on 45+4 minutes. Attendance 1,785
IMG_7650.jpeg
Wednesday night, North Shields v Redcar Athletic, EBAC Northern League Division One.
Decent game with plenty of attacking football, North Shields won 3-1 which was Redcar’s first defeat of the season. Standard ground for this level , hard standing all round and a very small seating area. Attendance 261.
IMG_7657.jpeg IMG_7658.jpeg
No sign of Richard O’Sullivan or a one-armed dishwasher
IMG_7656.jpeg

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back