Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been lauding 'smart spending' since Moyes was here. Of course, who doesn't want smart spending? But smart spending sometimes means pushing the boat out with a couple of summers of large gross spending to make up the gap on those we need to catch.

I thought that's what we'd do with a "billionaire" in charge. Apparently not.

You don't become a billionaire and then spunk all your money away on a football club, though. The only exceptions are City and Chelsea, who's owners are far wealthier/shadier than Moshiri.

For all other cases, it is only clubs that are a global brand and generate huge turnovers that can afford to have a large net spend. Hopefully, that is the real work that our billionaire owner is striving to achieve... Only time will tell.

I thought that's what we'd do with a "billionaire" in charge. Apparently not.

meme7a20f543fad50c37.jpg

...and that's the reason we're having a bumper spend.

If we had a £30M player to sell we'd have Pickford in and maybe another signing on top for about £15M.

I'm just saying, it's the way we roll as a club. When it isn't the way we roll then *nothing has changed* will be defunct
If and its quite a large IF,Rom and Ross decice they are staying. How much humble pie are you prepared to eat. May i suggest enough to choke on for a while

Sounds like good business to me. As has been said, spending before we have sold is a first! So already that is different. We haven't sold anyone yet!

But assuming we do, is net spend the only mechanism to judge a window? Of course not.. the needs of the team and the efforts made to plug those with the best players they can is all that matters. So far it feels they have. We can try spend big money on players in an effort to prove net spenders wrong but that is flawed. This window, owing to the size of the asset being sold expecting a big net spend is wrong. Said as much a few weeks ago.

IF we sell Lukaku I'm expecting more money flowing out as then we have another gap. I don't think Sandro is the replacement in any way or form. It's about the needs.. not the money.

So far this window we have done 54m on Pickford and Klaassen, 7 on Henry and if reports are true then Keane and Sandro for another 30, that's 91m and last time I checked we actually hadn't sold anybody yet.

It was hinted in the press that we had 100m even before players sales, so if 100m isn't enough for you then you just have weird issues.

You dont build anything by selling your best.
Yeah, just like Spurs didn't sell Bale.

Or the RS Suarez (and Torres before, really).

The list is endless. The interested buyer comes in, offers you massive cash, you milk them for more and then take it. Lukaku doesn't want to be here, Chelsea (apparently) want him, they're (apparently) ready to pay massive money for him, who's arsed? Not like we're losing Arteta on deadline day for less than his value, is it?

With £50M for Stones and £85M for Lukaku it's hardly surprising is it?

THAT is what the model allows for. Sell big, buy big.

Firstly, Lukaku is still at the club as far as I know, so deduct your £85m.

Secondly, I ask again, so what??

The money currently being spent is INCOME. That's how companies operate. Our income has increased dramatically thanks to the £127m prize money for finishing 7th. It would be further increased if we make a £60m PROFIT on the sale of Lukaku.

Given such a windfall, why should anyone give a toss about your sacred 'net spend' cow, if it means a gross spend of £200m?

Would like to see the breakdown of this figure.
Deulofeu £10M; Jagielka £8M; Robles/Stekelenburg £5M; McCarthy; £15M; Galloway £5M; McGeady £3M; Niasse £7M.

Just short of that £55M figure.

Dont forget, did you think a 3 or 4 years back we'd get £6M for Anichebe and the same for Jelavic? Or £2M and £5M for Gibson and Oviedo last season?

If and its quite a large IF,Rom and Ross decice they are staying. How much humble pie are you prepared to eat. May i suggest enough to choke on for a while
They'll have to be sold in January. There is no way this club can spend like this without selling. None.

Firstly, Lukaku is still at the club as far as I know, so deduct your £85m.

Secondly, I ask again, so what??

The money currently being spent is INCOME. That's how companies operate. Our income has increased dramatically thanks to the £127m prize money for finishing 7th. It would be further increased if we make a £60m PROFIT on the sale of Lukaku.

Given such a windfall, why should anyone give a toss about your sacred 'net spend' cow, if it means a gross spend of £200m?
All will be clear at the end of August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back