Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it'll mean the jury's still out Dave. It'll be hard to have a negative net spend if we get the fee that's being bandied about for Lukaku.

...and that's the reason we're having a bumper spend.

If we had a £30M player to sell we'd have Pickford in and maybe another signing on top for about £15M.

I'm just saying, it's the way we roll as a club. When it isn't the way we roll then *nothing has changed* will be defunct

The while net spend argument is a bit skewed when you are selling players like Lukaku at fees of around 80M. Lets say we sell a player for 300M. We spend 250M signing the players we want and fill all available positions. Do we spend another 100M on players we do not need just so we have positive net spend? No.

We are spending money on positions that need filling and I expect more to come in. We simply won't keep spending where it isn't needed to just so we can say "Wow look at that net spend lads!"

Added to the fact that it seems pretty clear we do not want to sell Lukaku anyway.

If we had a £30M player to sell we'd have Pickford in and maybe another signing on top for about £15M.

I'm just saying, it's the way we roll as a club. When it isn't the way we roll then *nothing has changed* will be defunct

Possibly. Time will tell. But I would rather we look to improve through smart management rather than net spend. It's what clubs on the continent do (outside the super clubs), and the likes of Tottenham in the PL never have a big net spend and are improving year on year through good coaching, youth development and smart signings. I would prefer for us to go down that route

Possibly. Time will tell. But I would rather we look to improve through smart management rather than net spend. It's what clubs on the continent do (outside the super clubs), and the likes of Tottenham in the PL never have a big net spend and are improving year on year through good coaching, youth development and smart signings. I would prefer for us to go down that route
We've been lauding 'smart spending' since Moyes was here. Of course, who doesn't want smart spending? But smart spending sometimes means pushing the boat out with a couple of summers of large gross spending to make up the gap on those we need to catch.

I thought that's what we'd do with a "billionaire" in charge. Apparently not.

We've been lauding 'smart spending' since Moyes was here. Of course, who doesn't want smart spending? But smart spending sometimes means pushing the boat out with a couple of summers of large gross spending to make up the gap on those we need to catch.

I thought that's what we'd do with a "billionaire" in charge. Apparently not.
The Moyes era was a different level though, we were scrimping. We're not doing that at present.

You'll see how much it's changed at the end of the window when player sales cover these upfront incomings. We sell to buy. That's the model. The model is still in play.

It proves the model of practically zero squad investment is still operational.
No mate. That should sum up, as you've been told how flawed this is but keep beating that dead horse, buddy, it will run the Grand National soon enough. xx

Completely untrue. We have already invested more in the playing squad this year than in any other year in our club's history.
With £50M for Stones and £85M for Lukaku it's hardly surprising is it?

THAT is what the model allows for. Sell big, buy big.

The Moyes era was a different level though, we were scrimping. We're not doing that at present.

We have the same exact situation. Sell players and buy others with the money. The only difference really is the enormous increase in tv revenues available to all clubs that allows net spending to go that much further, but relative to our rivals not a major improvement.

Most of us thought Moshiri would be able to inject capital into squad improvement over and above all that, but now we all know his involvement is to orchestrate (though not fund or stand behind) a stadium move.

If he'd have said that in the first place rather than spinning these 'kin lines about keeping existing star players then it wouldn't be as much of an issue. But he didn't.

With £50M for Stones and £85M for Lukaku it's hardly surprising is it?

THAT is what the model allows for. Sell big, buy big.
The point is we are not forcing the big money moves for our big players!! It's the players forcing the moves..

The point is we are not forcing the big money moves for our big players!! It's the players forcing the moves..
...twas ever thus.

They move because we wont spend out for a successful team to keep them here.

How many clubs do really just spend ? most clubs will sell players and at some clubs players annual wage savings equates to what lower end teams spend on transfers

I still remember us selling Rooney and replacing him with Cahill and bent

Now we are spending near 100m before we even have offloaded with more to come if press are to believed

What a time to be alive kids

When have we ever spent a massive wedge of cash BEFORE players have been sold to create the pot?

If we tie up Keane and the 2 strikers by Monday, we'll have laid out over £90m this window, with only £8m incoming so far for Cleverley

To try and make out that is standard for EFC is either disingenuous or you've suffered a massive memory loss.

When have we ever spent a massive wedge of cash BEFORE players have been sold to create the pot?

If we tie up Keane and the 2 strikers by Monday, we'll have laid out over £90m this window, with only £8m incoming so far for Cleverley

To try and make out that is standard for EFC is either disingenuous or you've suffered a massive memory loss.
Doesn't matter when the sales take place. The balance on the final day in August is all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back