Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely it's in the best interest of the club. The best way to refresh the squad is with players that want out. Lukaku was never.. ever going to be our player for ever... Probably why me and many others didn't take him fully into our hearts... That and the fact that he has been clearly looking for an out at every single window since he joined....on loan from West Brom. Get rid and refresh. Probably not the most successful trophy hoarding exercise but we won't be left like Leeds or pompey in return. Would much rather stay in this league than blow the lot on a dream and a chance at silverware.
Depends what your goal is.

Want to be consistently holding the shirt tails of the top clubs, then keep on with this model.

Want to propel yourself into the mix as serious players? Then find a way to pump £50M/£60M in net spending in each transfer window for 2/3 seasons. He's already wasted one season in that respect...and I seriously doubt we'll see a massive net spend this summer.

Want to be consistently holding the shirt tails of the top clubs, then keep on with this model.
Want to propel yourself into the mix as serious players? Then find a way to do pump £50M/£60M in net spending in each transfer window for 2/3 seasons. He's already wasted one season in that respect...and I seriously doubt we'll see a massive net spend this summer.
Tottenham haven't done that and they have gotten into the top 3 2 years on the bounce

Want to propel yourself into the mix as serious players? Then find a way to pump £50M/£60M in net spending in each transfer window for 2/3 seasons. He's already wasted one season in that respect...and I seriously doubt we'll see a massive net spend this summer.
So basically you are getting upset about something you think might happen?

I agree Dave but I honestly doubt that is our aim... At this present time. We are looking to improve on 7th next season. Its going to be baby steps... and from our signings so far... Really looks thats the model. Everton still don't have our abramovich but then I'm not sure it's the best way....if he left Chelsea... Or if the g boys leave United... They are in serious debt... When Moshiri leaves we will have a new stadium and a descent side. Personally that's a thousand miles from what we had a few years ago. I think we have perhaps got carried away with our billionaire owner.

Tottenham haven't done that and they have gotten into the top 3 2 years on the bounce

Yep.

They spent massively after Bale, and they have consistently outspent us for seasons prior to that.

Our base is very weak that we start out from.

Nope, complete nonsense.

Aside from 2013-14 when we finished 3 points ahead, 2008-09 was the last time we finished above them. Since that season their overall net spend was minus £10m.

In the same period our net spend was positive £50.5m.

Net spend does not correlate with success, precisely because one off big sales skew the figures. Bale is one example and Lukaku will be another.

To suggest nothing has changed in terms of squad investment is pure fantasy.

Assuming Keane is confirmed we will have purchased £156m worth of players in three transfer windows, and the third has barely even begun.

So what you want the club to do is keep players that don't want to be here and lose them on a free when their contract runs out. Gotcha.

Their net spend over the last 3 years is -12.6 million.
They spent the Bale money of course, like we are doing or will do with the Lukaku money.

He is making such a fool of himself of this net spend thing, aside from that Spurs wasted a lof of that Bale money, something Dave would be happy to do just to keep the money leaving the club, rather then keep it for the right move when it comes up.
I was reading the other day how much Chelsea have bought in from sales over the last few years, in fact this links shows just how stupid the net spend debate is

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/premier-league-clubs-transfers-net-spend-last-5-years

Over 5 years Spurs have spent 3.2m while we have spent 19m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back