Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what you want the club to do is keep players that don't want to be here and lose them on a free when their contract runs out. Gotcha.
No, show ambition: that keeps them here.

Think we did that with Lukaku? No, I dont either.

Think we'll do that this season by buying the players we have and possibly/probably losing our two best players? No, me neither.

Your happy with the club is sell to buy as per with a 'billionaire' in charge? Sound.

Think we'll do that this season by buying the players we have and possibly/probably losing our two best players? No, me neither.

Your happy with the club is sell to buy as per with a 'billionaire' in charge? Sound.

We have spent circa £90m in a week or so mate.

With 2 lucrative contracts still on the table for Rom and Ross.

Totally unambitious.

Which players do you think it would be possible for us to sign to prove to Lukaku that the club has the ambition to match his.Given we don't have CL to offer or the profile of the top 6 in the Prem and the other major European Leagues ?

LOL

Ive heard it all now, so Spurs spent money at the right time and we are now spending money at the wrong time?

Gotcha.
You're not sophisticated enough for this mate. Sit this one out...or go and update your season analysis thread....bring your crayons with you.

We have spent circa £90m in a week or so mate.

With 2 lucrative contracts still on the table for Rom and Ross.

Totally unambitious.
...and when we get Lukaku and a couple of others out the door will it be time to say, "oh look, the £90M in player sales were merely shuffled forward to the beginning of the window"?

Which players do you think it would be possible for us to sign to prove to Lukaku that the club has the ambition to match his.Given we don't have CL to offer or the profile of the top 6 in the Prem and the other major European Leagues ?

Go out and furnish him with a playmaker for a start. He's been at the club for four years and had no assistance from a type of player crucial to a striker like Lukaku. Someone like the Japanese kid at Cologne, Osaki would be a decent attempt.

I just hope that if we do sell Lukaku we are able to bring in one or two truly world class signings with fee. Would much rather that than trying to spread it around 4 or 5 players. Spurs spread the Bale money around 7 players and only Erikson really worked out....an I'm sure Spurs fans would rather have Bale than Erikson. It actually says a lot that Spurs have had as much success as the have despite spending the Bale money so poorly (Alli helps, Alderweireld had been a massive buy and Harry Kane coming up through their ranks hasn't hurt)

Unfortunately I fear that it will still be difficult to attract a truly world class talent this summer.

Go out and furnish him with a playmaker for a start. He's been at the club for four years and had no assistance from a type of player crucial to a striker like Lukaku. Someone like the Japanese kid at Cologne, Osaki would be a decent attempt.

Lol

Everton: Hi rom, here's a £140k a week contract
Snake: I'm not signing it I want to go to the rent boys
Everton: but we've but some no mark from the German league

...and when we get Lukaku and a couple of others out the door will it be time to say, "oh look, the £90M in player sales were merely shuffled forward to the beginning of the window"?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Fact is, we have spent £90m in a week or so,

Cant do that on a wing and a prayer that our valuation of two players will be met.

Be like buying a new house before you sell your old one.

Player turnover at a club is healthy. Even good players get stale. Spurs have been good at that over the last few years and have made quite a lot on player trading.
They have also had to sell their best players to put them in the position they are in now. If Real Madrid want to spend stupid money, you can't afford not to take it.
Net spend is a very important part of the picture but it is only one metric. One of the biggest net spenders of the pl era are Liverpool and they have not won the league. Over several years they swelled the squad enormously with all sorts of dross. It took them years to get it down to a sensible size.

Do you think signing a player who is hardly what you could describe as a high profile,impress our Rom?

We sell to buy. That's the model. The model is still in play.

That's defo part of the model, but the model has changed in that we'll also now be buying players with the hope that there'll be good enough to make the first team, but, if they're not, then we're be looking to turn a profit on them. It's a model which Chelsea have used very successfully to increase their revenue, and, though it's easy to sneer at anything and everything, if it's successful, then, in four or five years time we'll be in a much better place.

Obviously even if we are in a much better place people will still find things to moan about, but moaners like to moan and screamers like to scream. I'm quite keen on both moaners and screamers, but I may be veering off-topic here :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back