Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think that somebody at the club needs to come out and address a lot of the negativity which the events yesterday (and the window as a whole) has generated. It's not good for anyone. A record amount of season tickets were sold on the understanding (albeit led by the media) that there would be sufficient investment in the team. We've ended up with a negative net spend.

Honestly mate, Valencia is no better than Kone and is as injury prone.

Gueye is honestly the only one who genuinely excites me and that's only off 3 games, he may dip, hopefully not.

Williams is a good signing but he isn't getting any younger, again hopefully he can be as effective as Barry is in his twilight years.

Bolasie I just don't rate but when you're comparing him to McGeady it's like comparing HIV to syphillis, nobody wants either but one is slightly worse.

Stekelenburg may come good, but again you're comparing him to star jumps.

The problem with Bolasie is not comparisons with McGeady.

It is that he will keep Del out the side......and IMO even Lennon will bring more to the team over the season than Bolasie but he is behind him in the pecking order as well.

I'll start by saying Gueye and Williams for their price both excellent buys. Steks for his price would also have been excellent if it was as a backup keeper option, his Southampton form when Forster when down does not fill me with confidence, but he has made a great start and I will back him in. Still, both he and Williams are short term solutions. Bolasie for the price is certainly a risk, but game changing flair type of players always are and will not talk down the club for pursuing targets like this. Valencia is a horrible signing, reaks of desperation and panic.

Despite the popular theory that we are in a much better position squad wise then we were at the start of the window, I'd say it's the opposite. Not that the players we signed haven't improved our squad, they have, it's just the squads around us and above us have improved there's much more. Our biggest improvement has been off field with Koeman and Walsh, but on the field we certainly need more to make that next step. Feel we've missed a chance to set a platform for the new 'era' and Koeman, hopefully it doesn't result in another disappointing mid table finish which will lead us to similar problems with recruitment next season. Do not want to see another amateur hour performance leading to last minute 30mil bids for Sissoko and loans for 4th choice West Ham strikers. It's embarrassing and the strategy needs to be questioned, particularly the fact we only signed players from English clubs, and only ones below us(Valencia aside but he's a 4th choice striker at west ham coming in on loan). Buying from English clubs always comes with a premium, yet we exclusively signed from this market and clearly struggled abroad. If Moshiri is the ruthless, clever businessman you would assume he is from his wealth, he will be making people accountable and preparing our assaults for future windows starting now. Can't believe it's a negative net spend after all these pages, all these threads, all this hope. With this squad I'm expecting a 9th/10th finish this season sadly, hopefully we can capitalise on teams like Leicester and Tottenham venturing in to European games but it's hard to see.

Still, as always, COYB

Again - nothing will change until Bill Kenwright Productions Ltd and Suntan Bob are shown the door
Back to the usual whipping boys.
They were getting all the abuse for years so they acceded to demands and let in a new money man. Nothing changes so you revert to blaming Bill Kenwright again.
I was sceptical about this whole £100m being available for transfers and seem to have had my worst fears realised

As we were about to sign both Brahimi and Sissoko yesterday before being jibbed off/scuppered at the end, it's clear that well in excess of £50m was there to be spent in excess of the Stones money.

I think the problem was the amateurish way we approached the closing of deals and failing to attract players by effectively convincing them of our ambition, than a lack of money, plus no small amount of bad luck, as opposed to us having no money and making up bids to appear to be have "tried our best".

As we were about to sign both Brahimi and Sissoko yesterday before being jibbed off/scuppered at the end, it's clear that well in excess of £50m was there to be spent in excess of the Stones money.

I think the problem was the amateurish way we approached the closing of deals and failing to attract players by effectively convincing them of our ambition, than a lack of money, plus no small amount of bad luck, as opposed to us having no money and making up bids to appear to be have "tried our best".

No mate. What happened was we didn't have the money they wanted for Brahimi, flapped it and tried to panic buy Sissoko.

You brought this in yourself lads talking about a £100m warchest and the likes. No-one from the club ever confirmed that there was a huge amount of money to spend. Anyone with a bit of sense knew that we were waiting for the Stones money to come in. "No we have money lad" no we didn't. Taking the figures, of which we can never be sure are 100%, from the Guardian summary:

Stones - £47.5m in

Bolasie - £25m out
Williams -£12m Out
Gueye - £7m out
Skele - £850k

We've invested just over £4m in the squad. Hardly groundbreaking is it? This is no surprise to me and a few more enlightened posters on here but some people got carried away.

We're not rich. We're just marginally more secure then we have been for the past decade.

Back to the usual whipping boys.
They were getting all the abuse for years so they acceded to demands and let in a new money man. Nothing changes so you revert to blaming Bill Kenwright again.
I was sceptical about this whole £100m being available for transfers and seem to have had my worst fears realised

So some apologists still remain I see. You haven't worked out that there's been one common denominator in all our appalling and amateurish business in the past 15 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back