Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
City and Utd spent over £300m between them last and never improved. Spending big means nothing, spending for the sake of spending is not the way to go. Spend what we have improving the squad and if that means spending more or less than received means very little if we are better off for it.

How is net spend 'a myth'?

upload_2017-6-18_16-42-17-png.37841

Well, Spurs just finished 2nd.

Sunderland went down.

So its an indicator, but not the Holy Grail of indicators.

That would be a major step forward.

Do you think that will happen?

What, that both players will sign? Dunno mate. But the deals are there in place. We can squabble about the total amounts involved, but they are there to be signed.

(Think Ross has/will based on a titchy hint I heard earlier, but nowt seriously postable)

How did City and Utd do last season spending that big. Utd finished 6th, funnily enough just around where we were a few years ago spending sod all.

Spending big isnt that answer, buying the right players, having good youth development and most inportant of all having a good manager is the most important things. We have all of those now.

What, that both players will sign? Dunno mate. But the deals are there in place. We can squabble about the total amounts involved, but they are there to be signed.

(Think Ross has/will based on a titchy hint I heard earlier, but nowt seriously postable)
I hope Barkley stays. We need local lads and ones that are very talented more than most. If he has to leave I'd take a very dim view of the direction the club is headed with young star players.

It's a good rule of thumb. Is it an iron law? No. Better to spend though in order to achieve. The odds are in favour of it...heavily.

Yeah, spend. But spend well.

And sell well too. Its all a balance and getting bogged down in a Net Spend oobsession makes little sense to me.

Its Net Improvement that counts.

Yeah, spend. But spend well.

And sell well too. Its all a balance and getting bogged down in a Net Spend oobsession makes little sense to me.

Its Net Improvement that counts.
All top clubs (even Spurs when they made their splurge a few seasons back) have at one stage to spend massively. You cant count on incremental improvements because the teams above us will always get stronger year in year out.

We need a great leap forward on the basis of a couple of summers of massive spending. You cant bridge the gap any other way.

I hope Barkley stays. We need local lads and ones that are very talented more than most. If he has to leave I'd take a very dim view of the direction the club is headed with young star players.

Well, I aint going to lob bricks at the lad, cos, like you, I like him.

But if he wants out, for whatever reason, and there are plenty of theories about that, I dont think thats a reflection of the direction the club is heading. Its the players choice. (assuming the contract isnt being paid in jelly beans)

All top clubs (even Spurs when they made their splurge a few seasons back) have at one stage to spend massively. You cant count on incremental improvements because the teams above us will always get stronger year in year out.

We need a great leap forward on the basis of a couple of summers of massive spending. You cant bridge the gap any other way.

And so far, this summer, we are, it seems.

Ok, didnt work out last summer, the full story of why not will maybe one day come out.

Well, I aint going to lob bricks at the lad, cos, like you, I like him.

But if he wants out, for whatever reason, and there are plenty of theories about that, I dont think thats a reflection of the direction the club is heading. Its the players choice. (assuming the contract isnt being paid in jelly beans)
Player might be looking to stay desperately but needs the club to not take the piss over wages.

That's another scenario.

City got into the CL and so did United...and picked up two cups along the way. So, in answer to your question: they did very well.
But did they improve? That is the point I'm making. Utd got less points less season than the one before.
Spending big doesn't guarantee improvement, nothing does I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back