Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

N'Zogbia - Possible interesting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideally I'd like to see 4-4-2 from here on out. Or failing that, a 4-2-3-1. Those two formations gave us so much more joy than the traditional 4-5-1/4-4-1-1.

However I'd happily bet anyone a tenner that, pending fitness, Moyes will start our first game next season with Saha and Cahill in a 4-4-1-1.

I agree on the 4-2-3-1 i think its where we get the most joy, i dont think Davey will ever play with 2 up front if im honest, so our only hope is to have a front four capable of hitting double figures - which is why i think the wide areas need the most urgent attention, Pienaar, Billy, Osman, Coleman were/are prob capable of returns of max 5 goals and a couple of assits. Super Toim Cahill has 10 in him on a good year, if we added two goal scoring winger who could assist it could turn so many draws into wins.

First game an away day at Spurs you can bet your backside it will be 4-5-1.

Last edited:
I agree on the 4-2-3-1 i think its where we get the most joy, i dont think Davey will ever play with 2 up front if im honest. First game an away day at Spurs you can bet your backside it will be 4-5-1.

You can't expect one formation to suit all needs, so ideally I'd like to see a mix of 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1. The 4-4-2 gave us so much more threat up front. Beckford and Saha made a great team; Becks opened up space by harrying defenders, and Saha profited.

The 4-2-3-1 also worked because it allowed players like Ossie to express themselves. He really came into his own in that system, and it was a stark contrast, innovation-wise, to the rigid and turgid 4-4-1-1 (it's not really a 4-5-1, as Cahill is a secondary striker).

This is my problem with Moyes, though. He's stuck in his ways. So much so he's seemingly willing to cut off his nose to spite his face.

You can't expect one formation to suit all needs, so ideally I'd like to see a mix of 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1. The 4-4-2 gave us so much more threat up front. Beckford and Saha made a great team; Becks opened up space by harrying defenders, and Saha profited.

The 4-2-3-1 also worked because it allowed players like Ossie to express themselves. He really came into his own in that system, and it was a stark contrast, innovation-wise, to the rigid and turgid 4-4-1-1 (it's not really a 4-5-1, as Cahill is a secondary striker).

This is my problem with Moyes, though. He's stuck in his ways. So much so he's seemingly willing to cut off his nose to spite his face.

I agree to an extent mate, personaly i dont think when Saha and Beckford played together we played a 4-4-2, it was the same system as with Tim, but just different personal. Saha played deeper in the Tim role, which he did quite well i think his creativiety there made the difference and offered us a threat from deep centrally we didnt have when we were trying to get Tim head on the end of everything from wide positions - it was a new idea that worked - other teams werent expecting it. Saha surpised me playing in that role to be honest - he was class - creativity, goal threat and pace - though it prob knackered him for the season.

I dont think we ever really set up with two up front, maybe except for a game we are chaseing and Moyes brings on subs.

I agree to an extent mate, personaly i dont think when Saha and Beckford played together we played a 4-4-2, it was the same system as with Tim, but just different personal. Saha played deeper in the Tim role, which he did quite well i think his creativiety there made the difference and offered us a threat from deep centrally we didnt have when we were trying to get Tim head on the end of everything from wide positions - it was a new idea that worked - other teams werent expecting it. Saha surpised me playing in that role to be honest - he was class - creativity, goal threat and pace - though it prob knackered him for the season.

I dont think we ever really set up with two up front, maybe except for a game we are chaseing and Moyes brings on subs.

Hmmm. You do have a point. My point is still the same, mind. Moyes has his favourites, be them formations or players, and he'll stick to them.

I think having 2 genuine strikers, who were both very different, offered us something more. In possession we did have 2 genuine frontmen up there, looking to score. Timmy, for all is talents, just isn't as good with the ball at is feet. Saha on the other hand was indeed class and Becks has proven to be a true goalscorer; scoring headers, tap-ins, long range shots and even that ridiculous solo effort.

Basically I want us to use Beckford as much as possible. We need his energy and his pace. I do not think him and Cahill make a good pair, and so I want to see a Saha and him up front, or hopefully a new striker and him.

The sad part is that he's about on par with Pienaar.

The only issue is that we sold Pienaar for 3M and N'Zogbia will cost around 8-10M. What's wrong with that picture?

The only issue is that we sold Pienaar for 3M and N'Zogbia will cost around 8-10M. What's wrong with that picture?

Whilst that looks like we would be doing badly , we would be signing a player who is a few years younger than Pienaar and in all likelihood has time to improve even further as a player .

Zog is quite a lot younger and could be developed into one of the best attacking players in the league?

I can't even comment on this thread to be honest, it upsets me.

I know we shouldn't get too committed to the idea of N'Zogbia, but we need to keep our hopes up. So here's something to dash them again. Consider Ashley Young's transfer to United - Villa will be in need of replacements. They have somewhere around £17m to spend. Talks of Downing leaving too. McLeish is in charge - he was birmingham boss when he almost signed him in january. Things look grim, eh?

I know we shouldn't get too committed to the idea of N'Zogbia, but we need to keep our hopes up. So here's something to dash them again. Consider Ashley Young's transfer to United - Villa will be in need of replacements. They have somewhere around £17m to spend. Talks of Downing leaving too. McLeish is in charge - he was birmingham boss when he almost signed him in january. Things look grim, eh?

Very good points.

I'm tempted to put a bet on that.

We "sold" a player that gave clear intent to leave us on a free. 3M was good buisiness in that scenario.

He's a different player to Pienaar. Less consistently good at keeping the ball but more likely to win a match.

The English game always values the latter player over the former,

He's younger, quicker and scores a lot more goals than Pienaar.

People saying he's only as good as him need to watch a game now and again.

He is a totally different player to Pienaar, N'Zogbia is pacey, direct and has more goals in him.

I utterly, thoroughly hate that i'm stuck all summer with how these transfer prospects are looking up, while i'm supposed to spent all that time writing my master's thesis. Which, ironically, is due on the exact same time as the transfer window closes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back