Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

JOE4.jpg
Must have been one of the few games Big Bob and Big Joe played together there Bally.:)

That is great! To be honest I get confused about my dad and uncle's stories about Farrell and Eglington. My dad and family were Bootle of Irish descent so F and E were major heroes but I never paid enough attention!!!!
My late father was also from southern Irish decent, his Grandfather came from there, must have been an invasion, that's were the myth comes from that EFC were an Catholic team as originally they were formed by a church team Methodist off hand not Catholic , but they had a huge Catholic support in Liverpool in up to the 1960's, and maybe now?

My late father was also from southern Irish decent, his Grandfather came from there, must have been an invasion, that's were the myth comes from that EFC were an Catholic team as originally they were formed by a church team Methodist off hand not Catholic , but they had a huge Catholic support in Liverpool in up to the 1960's, and maybe now?
Yes they lots of players from Eire in the 40's and 50's apart from Farrell and Eglington there was Peter Corr , Jimmy
O'Neill, Don Donavon , George Cummings, John Sutherland, Tommy Clinton and I'm sure one or two more and in the
Upper Bullens Road stand you would see lots of priests supporting Everton, however I don' think it was just Catholics
who supported Everton or Liverpool, there was no religious divide as far as I knew, all my mates were mostly of one
religion and we supported Everton or Liverpool.

Yes they lots of players from Eire in the 40's and 50's apart from Farrell and Eglington there was Peter Corr , Jimmy
O'Neill, Don Donavon , George Cummings, John Sutherland, Tommy Clinton and I'm sure one or two more and in the
Upper Bullens Road stand you would see lots of priests supporting Everton, however I don' think it was just Catholics
who supported Everton or Liverpool, there was no religious divide as far as I knew, all my mates were mostly of one
Correct. My family were Orange Lodge and all match going blues, equally there were Catholic families in the same road who were also blues.

I just ask that the religious topic ends on this sensible note chaps and we go back to photos. No aggro and all that.

Carry on. ;)

Correct. My family were Orange Lodge and all match going blues, equally there were Catholic families in the same road who were also blues.

I just ask that the religious topic ends on this sensible note chaps and we go back to photos. No aggro and all that.

Carry on. ;)
As I stated it was a myth - no other upset mentioned over religion, just some reds used to state that, if you know your history we were not, we were the first team in Liverpool and our Derby games were v Bootle FC!;)

Yes Joey he scored quite a few, especially for a wing half, I remember one, on a Xmas Eve I think, he scored in the 1st.
minute at Anfield, but you know who won, yes, those B-------d's 3-1. he also scored in the semi final of 1953 against
Bolton Wanderers, we lost 4-3, coming back from 4-0 down at half time. He was a great leader who led by example.

The only positive memory I have of Peter Farrell scoring is a penalty at the park end. I was up in the stand behind the goal with my grandad
and I can still picture it.
I've looked it up and I think it was a cup tie against Chelsea which we won 1-0 in 1956.

I was at school with George Cummings's sons George and Brian. Was in the same school year as Brian and Sunday league team for a while.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back