Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

good stuff Dave, that's very interesting about him going to Bogota, I've actually been there myself and it's a wonderful city in a very beautiful country, but anyone who knows anything about latin america would tell you that 1950's was not a very good time at all to head to Colombia

"La Violencia" I believe they call it.

Fair enough Pat, maybe that's why they came back, but to be honest I think it was more about the reality was not as good
as the promises made regarding wages etc.

I think around that time the Colombian league was one of the richest in the world but at one point the money dried up and all the foreign players left or got kicked out. I forget the exact details. Futbol Mundial did a feature on it. Will try to dig it out on Youtube later.

Cu7svDD.jpg

Howard Kendall & John McLaughlin in the background, Everton v Sheffield United, the United player with the ball is Alan Woodward.
Tiger McLaughlin was his joke nickname - a fullback who bewildered some fans!

The Late great Sandy Brown - this guy played ever where for us - even in goal- he scored some great goals too - he had a great shot !
View attachment 8761
Yes, Joey, Sandy was a good signing for us, gave his all in every game he played for us, including the one against
Leeds United, when he got sent off very early in the game, and as you say scored some goals as well, one against
Liverpool when he came on as a sub, playing upfront with no number on his shirt.

Yes, Joey, Sandy was a good signing for us, gave his all in every game he played for us, including the one against
Leeds United, when he got sent off very early in the game, and as you say scored some goals as well, one against
Liverpool when he came on as a sub, playing upfront with no number on his shirt.
My older brother told me every fan talks of his own goal v the dreaded , but he scored a cracker v them which just got forgotten!
I spoke to my brother tonight he stated it was a great diving header in the Glawdy's street end in that 3-1 win over the dreaded

Last edited:
My older brother told me every fan tals of his own goal v the dreaded , but he scored a cracker v them which just got forgotten!
Got it in my head he was playing as an emergency centre forward that day Joey,I'm sure it was either Sandy or Jimmy Gabriel that did once against that lot!!

Got it in my head he was playing as an emergency centre forward that day Joey,I'm sure it was either Sandy or Jimmy Gabriel that did once against that lot!!
Dario just looked at my EFC match bible the the complete records on games, and Sandy scored v the reds in season 1966/67 on the 27th of August SAT - we won 3-1 at home Alan Ball got two Sandy Brown got the third.
Fans only remember his classic diving header own goal and that was a beauty;)

I spoke to my brother tonight he stated it was a great diving header in the Glawdy's street end in that 3-1 win over the dreaded reds!;)

Last edited:

Dario just looked at my EFC match bible the the complete records on games, and Sandy scored v the reds in season 1966/67 on the 27th of August SAT - we won 3-1 at home Alan Ball got two Sandy Brown got the third.
Fans only remember his classic diving header own goal and that was a beauty;)
Nice one Joey:)

Gabby played against Leeds at Goodison 1967 in the No.9 shirt,scoring that day in a 2-0 win along with Jimmy Husband scoring the other goal.
Trying to find pictures.
As an add on he played the week before against West Brom wearing No.9.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back