Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

One I took about 6 years ago with my phone from where I used to sit in Lower Gwladys
gcuy.jpg
that looks like the wedge, ace spec

Yes, Joey, Sandy was a good signing for us, gave his all in every game he played for us, including the one against
Leeds United, when he got sent off very early in the game, and as you say scored some goals as well, one against
Liverpool when he came on as a sub, playing upfront with no number on his shirt.

Brown ( Pickering or was it Gabriel got injured ) scored the other goal in Alan Ball's 3-1 rout of them in Aug 1966. I remember him coming on again as a no number sub, but that was in 1967 I think that was Vs Sheffield U., I seem to remember the Reff got knocked out for a spell.

Last edited:
Gabby played against Leeds at Goodison 1967 in the No.9 shirt,scoring that day in a 2-0 win along with Jimmy Husband scoring the other goal.
Trying to find pictures.
As an add on he played the week before against West Brom wearing No.9.

Back in the day as is said they were trying to play Hurst as a No.9 and he just wasn't up to it. OK in the Reserves but not the 1st Div. and by the 2nd half up would go Jimmy Gabriel instead. They finally twigged he was best at the back.
Gabriel also played up front Vs Leeds in the cup replay 63-64. top boke yet another Harry sold to soon due to personal differences ( this was harry's dark side ) I heard that Harry told Jimmy to stop surging forwards and play the simple ball out to the wing. This didn't go down well, words were said and Jimmy was moved as far away from here as was possible Southampton

Last edited:
Brown ( Pickering or was it Gabriel got injured ) scored the other goal in Alan Ball's 3-1 rout of them in Aug 1966. I remember him coming on again as a no number sub, but that was in 1967 I think that was Vs Sheffield U., I seem to remember the Reff got knocked out for a spell.
Sandy scored a diving header to add to Ballys goals in the Derby my brother informed me it was a very good goal - yet he is always famously remembered for his own goal another diving header in our championship winning year!
He was a great versatile performer for us with a cracking shot too!

Last edited:
@Pat's Van @dave abrahams here it is (sorry modz for going off topic)

Very good and interesting Billy, incidentally it mentions Alfredo Di Stefano joining Real Madrid from Columbian
football, I think he signed for Real Madrid and another Spanish club,Barcelona (?)in a mix up, the Spannish FA
decided he would play 1 year with each club, he started with Barcelona but had an indifferent season and they gave
up their rights on him, enabling him to join Real Madrid permanently.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back