Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

Did that rule change come in Dixies era?

There was a rule change in 1925, going from 3 defenders to 2 defenders which stopped defenses from having a defensive line similar to today but also having a centre half drop back behind the line in case the offside trap was sprung. It created the biggest tactical change in football created by Herbert Chapman at Arsenal with his WM formation.

The rule change led to the massive increase in goals in the late 1920's, something which will never be seen again.

xKsrN11.jpg

v Forrest in 1970/71 season, a game we lost 3-2. Mick Lyons and Billy Kenny made their League Debuts for us
BillY kenny? You sure? I thought he came on to the scene much later. Billy Wright possibly.

Yes mate Billy Kenny, his only appearance that season.

can't help wondering mate, you obviously have that Ledger with all of our results and other data in it, but what about Programmes ? I reckon you must have quite a collection there ? what's the oldest ?

The oldest I HAD... my mother threw loads out after I emigrated (& just scanned through removing cup finals and the like to keep) was a Rugby League one from 1906 St.Helens v Liverpool City I read an article about a prog being sold for a mint and touted at the time as the oldest known Rugby Prog ... but not as old as what my beloved mother threw in the bin.

can't help wondering mate, you obviously have that Ledger with all of our results and other data in it, but what about Programmes ? I reckon you must have quite a collection there ? what's the oldest ?

The oldest I HAD... my mother threw loads out after I emigrated (& just scanned through removing cup finals and the like to keep) was a Rugby League one from 1906 St.Helens v Liverpool City I read an article about a prog being sold for a mint and touted at the time as the oldest known Rugby Prog ... but not as old as what my beloved mother threw in the bin.

I don't know how many I have to be honest, each season is bundled together and tied with string. Most I have never even opened, so they're bundled and left in the condition they were bound.

The oldest is 8th September 1888 Everton v Accrington.

That suck mate, Mothers heh!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back