Old Everton Pictures

If Southampton was the end - This was the start.
They went a goal up against our slow starters, but nobody minded, we laughed at the whole Everton That-ness of it...yes, it was a 'thing' even back then.
But, iirc, we quickly went up the gears...without really getting into 4th...and ran out easy winners 4-1
Passing the winning post easing off at a canter, as they say in racing, with 20-25 mins to go.

2nd August 1969 - 20th November 1971
840 days
RIP.
My old fella always reckoned we played even better the season before(1968-69) we won the title, just that we were better at grinding out results more in the title season.

Not at the co- op in Newcastle I didn't. Met him on him a few times coming out of the Squires Gate training ground. He once told me that the key to keeping his shorts clean was a good pair of boots that could scoot you away from any pursuers lol
Not in them boots lol they look like miners boots had a pair when young not his brand, but my goodness they were awful cork studs plus steel toe caps lol

My old fella always reckoned we played even better the season before(1968-69) we won the title, just that we were better at grinding out results more in the title season.
True - I was on away grounds were the home fans clapped the Blues off the park our midfield - The Holy Trinity were telepathic a joy to see .....the rest of the team were brilliant too - one forward in Joe Royle, but with the midfield two wingers who cut in goals came from most places - John Hurst also used to maraud forwards & score some vital goals he was class - Labby's legs at the back - what a player he really was if he was injured - you realised what a gem of a player he really was - fans rave about Stones - Stones was not in the same league as Hursty .....

When he was playing in Malta and much to his annoyance the sandy dusty pitches they had out there sprayed all sorts of dirt and filth onto his shorts without the great winger legend ever going to ground lol

...I think Colin Harvey got his only England cap v Malta & there’s hardly a blade of grass when you see pictures of that game.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back