Old Everton Pictures

b5a2220f3d5ad4cfbedf0116b8e6333c.jpg
Versus Spurs 1985
Wow. What a photo. Never seen that before. Like the other guys I was also there. One of the best nights of my life. It was that night that we really believed we were going to win the league for the first time since 1970.
I got absolutely pissed in London afterwards.
What a team that was

Allez ..I was at Spurs on New Years Day 1966 we had a cracking night New Years Eve around Trafalgar Square before the game some memories .. But that night in the smoke when we won 2-1 has to be a very special time to be remembered for life.
Give me 85 every time
Went back home to Chesham that night in a daze realising we had actually done it!!! Or virtually any way. Celebrated at home and could not sleep all night. Madame Allezlesbleus berating me for celebrating in the home end and my dad just grinning with a look that said "told you we would come good again!"

The Palace pic..left to right Everton Players
S.McMahon No.7..Billy Wright (uncannily looking like Inchy) and Mick Lyons..Feb. 1981
We won 3-2..Eastoe,McMahon & Varadi.
Thanks. Palace scorers Clive Allen (pen) and Vince Hilaire in front of 14594. We were relegated that season and didn't get back until 1989.

Roy Vernon had epic eyebrows, like....
My older brother reckons when he got wet in the rain he looked like a skeleton, but Royston Vernon was the complete player hit the ball,hard with either foot, and never got the adulation he deserved for providing the Golden Vision with his goals they were a deadly combination!
We could have signed him as a teenager when he played for Connays quay yet our blundering scout got lost, and the Blackburns scout got the directions right and signed him as his parents had to sign the forms Vernon said he really wanted to sign for us - the Everton waylol
Paid £60,000 for him still a bargain!

...one of the ld fella's in the pub was saying how much Griezman reminded him of Alex Young. Although I wasn't the biggest Young fan I can see what he means. I say some players look like they can manipulate a football wearing carpet slippers and those two can/could.
Alex was an enigma he stated that himself one game coasted past defenders scored other games he was anonymous- also Roy Vernon aided him well!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back