Old Everton Pictures

Yeah agree and our cup crowds were massive,e.g 51,000 against Wigan in 1980 ,49,000 against Southampton for a f.cup replay in 81 even the redsh**e didn't get cup gates like that despite dominating the early 80s.
Spot on that.it people's attitude to the fa cup these days sadden me.i got a bit nervous and all nostalgic watching the 3rd round draw the other day when we were 1 of the last teams to be pulled out.attendances went up massively for cup games in the early 80s.i remember going to my 1st ever Sunday game against Shrewsbury and I think there was almost 40.000 in

There was 9000 at Coventry league cup homegame but that is not as bad as it may sound as in the same season the reds**the only had 9k for their 4th round tie v Birmingham and they were the holders and league champs.

Got you now mate. That cup game was absolutely boss. Turned up expecting a few hundred hardy souls and it was electric from the word go. We love the Fa cup!
it was a good day out, we took a turn out that day , the cops had to open the side to let us in as so many had shown up and are end was packed, we were on are way around to there end , so i think that made the minds up for them, had a great day out. we went by in a couple of transit vans and cars, in the pubs before the game, and i think i met that fella that could kill goats by staring at them, looked dead hard as we walked in, even when his mates had done one out the back,while he gave us his best eye daggers, must have spent ages in a mirror like that fella in taxi driver, the look on his face when he turned around:D even the coppers were laughing at them , dont know how i survived that one, hats off to him he stayed till we left.

no the week before that at home mate, we had nearly the same amount at the stoke cup way game than we had at home, sorry if it wasnt clear, was thinking about my mates dad as i was writing it, god he loved everton

Hi mate, for the record:

The Stoke City away game, 3rd round FA Cup on 7th January 1984 had an attendance of 16,462, but the following Saturday (14th) there was a 1st Division match at Stoke v Everton were the attendance was only 7,945.

The week before the Cup game (on the Monday 2nd Jan) we were away to Birmingham (att:10,004) and won 2-0. Interestingly Boxing Day 1983, we were home to Sunderland and only 18,683 attended, followed by Coventry at Goodison on New Years' Eve were the attendance was even lower at 13,659.

By way of comparison our highest attendance at Goodison in 83-84 was against Liverpool in March, 51,245.....

Hi mate, for the record:

The Stoke City away game, 3rd round FA Cup on 7th January 1984 had an attendance of 16,462, but the following Saturday (14th) there was a 1st Division match at Stoke v Everton were the attendance was only 7,945.

The week before the Cup game we were away to Birmingham (att:10,004) and won 2-0. Interestingly Boxing Day 1983, we were home to Sunderland and only 18,683 attended, followed by Coventry at Goodison on New Years' Eve were the attendance was even lower at 13,659.

By way of comparison our highest attendance at Goodison in 83-84 was against Liverpool in March, 51,245.....
its all so long ago cant be sure, but though we played a home game around that time, and had about the same as we took to stoke, this is were you need foxy he would tell you th bloody team and who scored, i cant even tell you the season it was in half the time.

There was 9000 at Coventry league cup homegame but that is not as bad as it may sound as in the same season the reds**the only had 9k for their 4th round tie v Birmingham and they were the holders and league champs.
In those days the League Cup was very much the poorman's FA Cup (though at least clubs used to field their best side more often than not in it. Nowadays there's not that much between them - clubs disrespect both.

its all so long ago cant be sure, but though we played a home game around that time, and had about the same as we took to stoke, this is were you need foxy he would tell you th bloody team and who scored, i cant even tell you the season it was in half the time.

LOL I have a hand-written ledger(s) of every Everton game filled in by me, my Dad, my grand-dad and my great-grandfather, the figures I gave you are correct!

We had the whole end at Stoke, c 8,000 (the ground only held about 30,000).. The vocal support was unbelieavable. As was the friendly farewell provided by the home fans -- including overturning cars.

Hi mate, for the record:

The week before the Cup game (on the Monday 2nd Jan) we were away to Birmingham (att:10,004) and won 2-0. Interestingly Boxing Day 1983, we were home to Sunderland and only 18,683 attended, followed by Coventry at Goodison on New Years' Eve were the attendance was even lower at 13,659.

The Coventry league game was grim, truly darkest before the dawn!!! Can still remember vividly MOTD focussing on the boos at the end of the 0-0. Some things never change haha. That side would play great for 20 mins then fade. But slowly but surely they developed into a really good cup winning team and then made that brilliant step up the next year. 30 years ago!!!!

In those days the League Cup was very much the poorman's FA Cup (though at least clubs used to field their best side more often than not in it. Nowadays there's not that much between them - clubs disrespect both.
some of the crowds for the texco cup and the anglo scottish cup games were really low, but as somebody said a few posts back they were taking the p with some of the crowd figures at goodison those days.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back