Old Everton Pictures

Ha ha,my dads still a rabid blue,but like yourself would go and watch them,in fact I think the first goal he could recall was Albert Stubbins in the days when they were "Liddellpool"second division for them back then,oh well we can dream again eh?;):)
Yes loads of us would go to Goodison Park one and to Anfield the next, it was affordable and to be honest red fans had
To go to Goodison if they wanted to see the top teams for the EIGHT years they were in the 2nd. Division.

My old man used to tell me they would have midweek afternoon games around then which were for the "shopkeepers"as they would shut for the afternoon,I bet the schools would empty out as well:)

Midweek afternoon games on a Wednesday. Even up to the late 70's shops used to shut for half day trading on a Wednesday.

Anyone remember the early kick offs during the miners strikes in 74-5 due to power shortages?

My older cousin told me about that game years back. Said West Brom brought a really big crew up. And beat us 2-0 I think.
They did. 0-0 at GP, knocked us out in replay. Grrrr WBA in Cup grrr. Not sure why it was Sunday. An experiment I think when RS were home also even though before and after that I think we both played at home if drawn at home. Expectation for the WBa game was high but we were toothless. Crowd got grumpy and we just never got hold of the game......not an unfamiliar story in mid 70s

They did. 0-0 at GP, knocked us out in replay. Grrrr WBA in Cup grrr. Not sure why it was Sunday. An experiment I think when RS were home also even though before and after that I think we both played at home if drawn at home. Expectation for the WBa game was high but we were toothless. Crowd got grumpy and we just never got hold of the game......not an unfamiliar story in mid 70s
The game was played on the Sunday with a 2pm kick off and the reason for it was due to the power cuts from what I can remember

article-0-00D2543500000190-87_224x475.jpg

Midweek afternoon games on a Wednesday. Even up to the late 70's shops used to shut for half day trading on a Wednesday.

Anyone remember the early kick offs during the miners strikes in 74-5 due to power shortages?
yes there were a few, i can recall liverpool playing arsenal in one and everybody ran up to anfield after school because bally was playing , he scored as well to the delight of the schoolboy everton fans on the kop.
we had one at goodison as well im sure during the week in the afternoon

yes there were a few, i can recall liverpool playing arsenal in one and everybody ran up to anfield after school because bally was playing , he scored as well to the delight of the schoolboy everton fans on the kop.
we had one at goodison as well im sure during the week in the afternoon
Spurs?

The two clubs used to play on the same day but with kick offs staggered by 15 or 30 minutes.
Yes, when Everton beat Man.Unt. In the FA cup in 1953 when Davie Hickson scored his famous goal with blood pouring
out of his head,Liverpool played at home to WBA in the league over 100,000 watched the two games,with over 75,000
at Goodison Park and over 28,000 at Anfield.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back