Old Everton Pictures

LOL I have a hand-written ledger(s) of every Everton game filled in by me, my Dad, my grand-dad and my great-grandfather, the figures I gave you are correct!
i must be the worst person on here, they all run into one in my head, seems like i was early 20s for about 15 seasons in my brain, wish i could be more accurate , to be honest was thinking more about the al fella(MR RICHO, knew him from the age of nine and never called him by his first name) than what i was posting, as he got older i used to have to get a taxi up to the ground for him and a pint as his health went, we nearly always missed the start, bit mad really as we only lived five minutes walk away, but he never gave in going, he would be ashamed of me not going these days.

Last edited:
"from a virtually horizontal position" John Motson :)
you dont see them like that these days.
we got lost that day on the way, and just stopped and bundled a priest into the car at a bus stop, as he had a notts county scarf on, and it was kick off time, he was bottling it, we just said were late show us the ground , he said i wasnt going but looks like i am now
I dropped my mates and him outside the ground, and went to park, it was there end, my mates got thrown out when we scored not long after they got in, and he got dragged out alongside them dog collar and all, i was just in in time to catch the goal and the fun, he got lashed in with us and saw the funny side off it really decent bloke,
bloody daft:D things that go on at the game

Goodison was a pitiful place in them days, I went with me arl fella a few times when there was circa 15000 there and it was ghostly, you could hear lids on the other side of the ground open a bag of crisps. Was buzzin a couple of years later, packed ground and old enough to go on me own and we were boss.

Talking about attendances, when Everton came out of the second div. in 1954 , the first two home there was over
69,000 versus Arsenal which we won 1-0 on a Wednesday night and on the Saturday we beat PNE and the
attendance was over 76,000.Happy days.

evertonlineup1933-34.jpg

Look at the legs on Dixie and the other guys, built like tanks.

it was depressing , around then , some games were there just didnt seem to be anybody about, the night games were the worst seemed to always piss down, and i used to go with my mates dad an old docker, as nobody else was going, recall one night game it was freezing and we were in the st end, wasnt a soul for about 10ft either way, drinking oxo and fishermans friends to keep warm, thought to myself what is going on here, were [Poor language removed] . nobody gives a fook , my mates dad MR Richo , must have read my mind, fed up lad, yep, well when we win and this place is packed, just recall this moment, it will make it so much sweeter, because it will come.
He wasnt far wrong there, think it was a game agaist coventry , just before the stoke fa cup game that you sensed something was about to happen, wasnt many at that either but the feeling was more upbeat and the team seemed to play as that a team for the first time in a while.

i must be the worst person on here, they all run into one in my head, seems like i was early 20s for about 15 seasons in my brain, wish i could be more accurate , to be honest was thinking more about the al fella(MR RICHO, knew him from the age of nine and never called him by his first name) than what i was posting, as he got older i used to have to get a taxi up to the ground for him and a pint as his health went, we nearly always missed the start, bit mad really as we only lived five minutes walk away, but he never gave in going, he would be ashamed of me not going these days.
Talking about attendances, when Everton came out of the second div. in 1954 , the first two home there was over
69,000 versus Arsenal which we won 1-0 on a Wednesday night and on the Saturday we beat PNE and the
attendance was over 76,000.Happy days.

My old man used to tell me they would have midweek afternoon games around then which were for the "shopkeepers"as they would shut for the afternoon,I bet the schools would empty out as well:)

Last edited:
My old man used to tell me they would have midweek afternoon games around then which were for the "shopkeepers"as they would shut for the afternoon,I bet the schools would empty out as well:)
Yes loads of midweek afternoon games, especially before Floodlights. I remember jibbing school loads of times to
watch Everton and Liverpool with my mates, one of the games was against Fulham when we were in the 2nd.
division, I think it was Everton's lowest ever league gate, just over11,000 at the game. Another game I watched was
when Billy Liddell scored in the last seconds against Man. City in a replayed cup game, unfortunately for Liverpool
the ref. had blown for time as the ball was in mid flight. Thousands stayed behind waiting for extra time, including me.

The crowd went berserk when the penny finally dropped, I had to disguise my grin as I walked out of Anfield with my
red mates. HAPPY HAPPY , HAPPY DAYS.

Yes loads of midweek afternoon games, especially before Floodlights. I remember jibbing school loads of times to
watch Everton and Liverpool with my mates, one of the games was against Fulham when we were in the 2nd.
division, I think it was Everton's lowest ever league gate, just over11,000 at the game. Another game I watched was
when Billy Liddell scored in the last seconds against Man. City in a replayed cup game, unfortunately for Liverpool
the ref. had blown for time as the ball was in mid flight. Thousands stayed behind waiting for extra time, including me.

The crowd went berserk when the penny finally dropped, I had to disguise my grin as I walked out of Anfield with my
red mates. HAPPY HAPPY , HAPPY DAYS.
Ha ha,my dads still a rabid blue,but like yourself would go and watch them,in fact I think the first goal he could recall was Albert Stubbins in the days when they were "Liddellpool"second division for them back then,oh well we can dream again eh?;):)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back