Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

we didn't help ourselves as per usual.

PROUD? I wasn't; I was absolutely gutted, I've never been so gutted before or since.

Went to work Friday, left the Greenhills in Allerton after last orders Friday evening, drove down over night, did the morning pubs at Smithfield market, played footy in Hyde park - Missed Clay/Ali. Saw the game...I still can't listen to 'Congratulations' by Cliff that they played after the game.
We found our car (a Hillman Imp ) drove North a bit, said 'K It, and found a pub somewhere. I was still that gutted it took me all night to get 2 or 3 pints down...I just couldn't stomach it. We got home a god knows what A.M. on Sunday morning
Get up and go to an open top parade...I should 'kin Coco.
Good post mate.
Just turned 9. No idea what my uncle/godfather did to get me a ticket...best not to ask. Mum convinces Dad to get whole family to go to London and meet friends of hers. Big mistake to mix footy with "hate footy" on cup final day. Lunch never worked, nearly late for match. Match was dire. We were poor against a team we had laced twice. Missed sitter late on to win it. Never really got going. Got hit by a really good strike with that lucky rebound I described. Was sat away from Everton fans. Missed train home because of extra time. Mum had taken the two littler sprogs back to Liverpool and she had our tickets!! Wandered streets until about 11 and managed to get in the mail van of a late train home sitting on floor for 6 hour journey home. Murder ensued when we got back!!!! Such a contrast for my poor dad for whom 14th May 1966 had been the best day of his life and he was gutted this had gone so wrong for me.
But setting all that aside while I hardly remember the details of the match my abiding memory of the event is literally dozens of groups of Evertonians wandering around London like us that evening singing " and we'll fight fight fight with all our might for the boys in the royal blue jerseys". We did not go to the parade either mate although I wanted to. They did not win and I agree with not celebrating second best. But I learned something about being an Evertonian that day and my dad's story of the match at Goodison a couple of days later when the fans cheered Jimmy Husband to the rafters and sang "Goodison's better than Wembley" and "we're not going home" at the end of the game until players came back onto the pitch stuck with me too. And look what they did a couple of seasons later!!!

Good post mate.
Just turned 9. No idea what my uncle/godfather did to get me a ticket...best not to ask. Mum convinces Dad to get whole family to go to London and meet friends of hers. Big mistake to mix footy with "hate footy" on cup final day. Lunch never worked, nearly late for match. Match was dire. We were poor against a team we had laced twice. Missed sitter late on to win it. Never really got going. Got hit by a really good strike with that lucky rebound I described. Was sat away from Everton fans. Missed train home because of extra time. Mum had taken the two littler sprogs back to Liverpool and she had our tickets!! Wandered streets until about 11 and managed to get in the mail van of a late train home sitting on floor for 6 hour journey home. Murder ensued when we got back!!!! Such a contrast for my poor dad for whom 14th May 1966 had been the best day of his life and he was gutted this had gone so wrong for me.
But setting all that aside while I hardly remember the details of the match my abiding memory of the event is literally dozens of groups of Evertonians wandering around London like us that evening singing " and we'll fight fight fight with all our might for the boys in the royal blue jerseys". We did not go to the parade either mate although I wanted to. They did not win and I agree with not celebrating second best. But I learned something about being an Evertonian that day and my dad's story of the match at Goodison a couple of days later when the fans cheered Jimmy Husband to the rafters and sang "Goodison's better than Wembley" and "we're not going home" at the end of the game until players came back onto the pitch stuck with me too. And look what they did a couple of seasons later!!!
My old fella always used to curse that Fantasy Football show with Baddiel and Skinner every time Jeff Astle used to sing at the end of the showlol

Absolutely. It was WBA's greatest day and they are a decent traditional club but it was agony watching Jeff Astle!!! I am barely out of therapy resulting from that day in 1968!!!!!
My dad too mate,he always reckons he just took a swing with his standing foot and got lucky,my old man always bangs on about how he was proved right when Jeff missed a sitter in the World Cup a couple of years later v Brazillol

My dad too mate,he always reckons he just took a swing with his standing foot and got lucky,my old man always bangs on about how he was proved right when Jeff missed a sitter in the World Cup a couple of years later v Brazillol
Your dad is spot on Dario mate.the ball just rebounded back to him perfectly off Harvey, swung his leg and it just flew in!!! Gutting but just one of those bad breaks. We had not played well though. Alan Ashman their manager had done his homework and they kept us quiet. He was manager of Carlisle in 1975 so he cost us the league too!!!!!!!

Your dad is spot on Dario mate.the ball just rebounded back to him perfectly off Harvey, swung his leg and it just flew in!!! Gutting but just one of those bad breaks. We had not played well though. Alan Ashman their manager had done his homework and they kept us quiet. He was manager of Carlisle in 1975 so he cost us the league too!!!!!!!
Yep,bloody annoying,we battered them twice in the league and froze in the big one,similarly we had won two(including the 5-0) and drawn one v Man U in 1985,and came up short in the final even though they were down to ten men:(Doh!!

Yep,bloody annoying,we battered them twice in the league and froze in the big one,similarly we had won two(including the 5-0) and drawn one v Man U in 1985,and came up short in the final even though they were down to ten men:(Doh!!
Whites dies goal was brilliant in 1985 but our celebrations in Rotterdam and the heavy atmosphere at Wembley took some zip out of our game. Sending off energised them and we were dead on our feet in extra time. It had been a long old season by that point. Was gutted but that disappointment was nothing compared with the next season! Front row seats to watch the RS lift the double....sigh. Tough being a Blue at times.

Whites dies goal was brilliant in 1985 but our celebrations in Rotterdam and the heavy atmosphere at Wembley took some zip out of our game. Sending off energised them and we were dead on our feet in extra time. It had been a long old season by that point. Was gutted but that disappointment was nothing compared with the next season! Front row seats to watch the RS lift the double....sigh. Tough being a Blue at times.
It's only when you look back now mate,the "double,double"was well within our grasp,i just remember v man u as you say,morans sending off bizarrely turned the game against us,their fans went nuts at the supposed injustice and I can just remember thinking we'll have this lot in the replay after a few days kip then big norm scored a great goal.

I was walking
Cried my eyes out on Astle's strike. Black and white telly back in those days but those amber blue amber strips still looked ace.
I was walking near Coniston in the lakes with my mum and dad and sister, then aged 8. Stopped to listed to the final on the transistor radio of a painter who was working up a ladder. Heard Astle's go in. Spoiled the day for this lad.

I was walking

I was walking near Coniston in the lakes with my mum and dad and sister, then aged 8. Stopped to listed to the final on the transistor radio of a painter who was working up a ladder. Heard Astle's go in. Spoiled the day for this lad.
Same here. It just came down a gully washer then the sun peaked out at my house had to leave and ride my bike to the park next to Hudson School sobbing like at school girl and mad at the world. Funny thing I was eight also. Better days when I was six that's for sure.

Exactamundo;
We had 2 chances in that game...The Astle-esque chance fell to Ball - no goal. The tailor made for Ball chance fell to Astle - no goal.
A win would've put us in quarters Vs Peru, with a potential semi Vs Uruguay...and who knows how Brazil would go Vs The Germans.
Anyway, lets not get carried away here and kid ourselves. Although the '70 team was, IMO, better man for man than '66...but Brazil still would've Piste it.

Cyv-QDUXEAAg4Ny.jpg

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back