Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Old Everton Pictures

Absolutely. It was WBA's greatest day and they are a decent traditional club but it was agony watching Jeff Astle!!! I am barely out of therapy resulting from that day in 1968!!!!!

My dad too mate,he always reckons he just took a swing with his standing foot and got lucky,my old man always bangs on about how he was proved right when Jeff missed a sitter in the World Cup a couple of years later v Brazillol

Your dad is spot on Dario mate.the ball just rebounded back to him perfectly off Harvey, swung his leg and it just flew in!!! Gutting but just one of those bad breaks. We had not played well though. Alan Ashman their manager had done his homework and they kept us quiet. He was manager of Carlisle in 1975 so he cost us the league too!!!!!!!

I think Astle was fated to score ... lot of media chat about him him scoring in every round prior to the final. Far as I remember, his shot glanced off Labone's heel leaving West high and dry. Husband missed an utter sitter of a header & we could have played till midnight and still not scored.

(Astle's miss against Brazil showed his true quality.)

Cyv-QDUXEAAg4Ny.jpg

....3 fine players, all sadly no longer with us but memorable for those of us fortunate to watch them.

....3 fine players, all sadly no longer with us but memorable for those of us fortunate to watch them.
Bremner could really play, but was also a snide of the highest order. Amazing was that one season about 71-72(???) when they cut out the dirty tricks for a year and were excellent champions iirc. I will still always remember them as dirty Leeds but they could play.

Bremner could really play, but was also a snide of the highest order. Amazing was that one season about 71-72(???) when they cut out the dirty tricks for a year and were excellent champions iirc. I will still always remember them as dirty Leeds but they could play.
Hated them then, still have a wry smile to myself now when they don't win. they were the most objectionable side I have ever had the misfortune to see. Snidy fouls, timewasting - they were masters of the art. and all led by Revie. He really was a piece of work.

Hated them then, still have a wry smile to myself now when they don't win. they were the most objectionable side I have ever had the misfortune to see. Snidy fouls, timewasting - they were masters of the art. and all led by Revie. He really was a piece of work.
and his henchman in chief on the field Giles the uber-snide

I too went to Hudson (65-70) and then Ormonde Drive in the 70's and remember getting the 321 home with my mate and none other than Brian Labone was sitting on the bus in the seat right behind us. It was a mid week match and he hadn't been playing that night but even so for us at 13 to see one of hero's amongst us was amazing. Different times I suppose and yes, you're right, we didn't speak to him we just whispered to each other "look who's behind us" etc!
Missed this earlier. Hudson same time 65-70 then Deyes Lane in the 70's

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back