Old Photos Of Where You Live

…the ‘Mary Ellen’s’ sold fish around Liverpool after buying it wholesale in Gt Charlotte St. They would shout “Finny Haddy, Salt Fish”. Catholic areas would eat fish on Fridays instead of meat, a tradition continuing to this day. The bottom pic is thought to be around Scotland Rd in 1920s;;

IMG_7779.jpeg

IMG_7780.jpeg

My great Auntie made Rabbit pie - rabbit l remember my mum coming in with a rabbit and making stew with it a strong flavoured meat - went out of fashion when their toes got mixed up lol - look at this shopfront, back then it was an affordable dish - a strong flavoured meat if I remember - like Game Birds are, so I am told ..... they are hung to release all the blood No H&S back then lol

1706625544370.png

We both purchased our gold wedding rings from a pawn brokers shop in Old Swan in the 1970s after traipsing ever where that day in town to no avail - these shops are now returning to the high street - sign of the times - the gold rings we purchased were top quality Gold prices were high back then - as they are now -

1706626219704.webp

…the ‘Mary Ellen’s’ sold fish around Liverpool after buying it wholesale in Gt Charlotte St. They would shout “Finny Haddy, Salt Fish”. Catholic areas would eat fish on Fridays instead of meat, a tradition continuing to this day. The bottom pic is thought to be around Scotland Rd in 1920s;;

View attachment 244073

View attachment 244074
Near to me there’s a “ Fishwives Walk” a 15 mile path from the coast , over the hills to a nearby town . They used to carry the herring in baskets on their backs and then walk home with the empty basket.
1706777937065.webp

Near to me there’s a “ Fishwives Walk” a 15 mile path from the coast , over the hills to a nearby town . They used to carry the herring in baskets on their backs and then walk home with the empty basket.
View attachment 244341

….amazing how resilient that generation was. I suppose they did it because they had to survive, that poor woman is probably lots younger than she looks.

These days I get fresh fish delivered to my door in Liverpool once a month from the opposite coast in a refrigerated van.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back