• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Other Club Transfers 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holy sheet man, really?! It's almost like that isn't the requirement of every club in world football.
I know you're being obtuse, it is obviously possible to be more sustainable. It would be one thing if the signings were so good that they were definitely going to make Europe/win something, but they aren't.

I know you're being obtuse, it is obviously possible to be more sustainable. It would be one thing if the signings were so good that they were definitely going to make Europe/win something, but they aren't.

Well it's too early to tell me they won't get into Europe next season so I'll just bookmark it to revisit next year. I know you're obsessed with having a team of 13-year olds but it's getting into the creepy levels now.

Well it's too early to tell me they won't get into Europe next season so I'll just bookmark it to revisit next year. I know you're obsessed with having a team of 13-year olds but it's getting into the creepy levels now.
Yes how creepy of me to think signing 29 year olds on big wages for big fees is a bad idea when you're a bottom half team.

Yes how creepy of me to think signing 29 year olds on big wages for big fees is a bad idea when you're a bottom half team.

All teams require some older heads. Especially when those players, all 2 of them, are instantly their best players. I know you like to believe all football players die when they turn 30 though.

All teams require some older heads. Especially when those players, all 2 of them, are instantly their best players. I know you like to believe all football players die when they turn 30 though.
Yes Villa with their one regular player under 23 are desperate for the wisdom of Coutinho.

I just don't see it working for them. Assuming it all comes off they're still somewhere between the 8th and 12th best squad in the league and then in two years instead of adding to it you're working on restocking it as these guys hit the downslope of their careers.

And yes while that isn't an automatic thing the vast majority of footballers best years are behind them around 30 or 31.

Yes Villa with their one regular player under 23 are desperate for the wisdom of Coutinho.

I just don't see it working for them. Assuming it all comes off they're still somewhere between the 8th and 12th best squad in the league and then in two years instead of adding to it you're working on restocking it as these guys hit the downslope of their careers.

And yes while that isn't an automatic thing the vast majority of footballers best years are behind them around 30 or 31.

Erm, what is wrong with anyone over 23? Are 24 year olds like Cash, Konsa, Douglas Luiz, Bailey now considered old? Feel like you've turned ultra Zat in the space of one Summer. Jacob Ramsey just turned 21 you'd best let him know he'll soon be spent goods.

Erm, what is wrong with anyone over 23? Are 24 year olds like Cash, Konsa, Douglas Luiz, Bailey now considered old? Feel like you've turned ultra Zat in the space of one Summer. Jacob Ramsey just turned 21 you'd best let him know he'll soon be spent goods.
No I'm saying that you have plenty of experience among those players. You don't need to add experience to a team with a bunch of guys playing first team football for multiple years.

Signing older players for big fees because "experience" is archaic thinking that leads you to Everton's position right now.

No I'm saying that you have plenty of experience among those players. You don't need to add experience to a team with a bunch of guys playing first team football for multiple years.

Signing older players for big fees because "experience" is archaic thinking that leads you to Everton's position right now.

I mean, that's not true. We signed bad players not experienced players. There's a difference.

If we signed KDB this Summer, at the ripe old age of 30, even you couldn't say that's a bad transfer. Although you'd probably try to.

I mean, that's not true. We signed bad players not experienced players. There's a difference.

If we signed KDB this Summer, at the ripe old age of 30, even you couldn't say that's a bad transfer. Although you'd probably try to.
James is one of my all time favorite players and I still couldn't get over that it probably wasn't a smart thing to do.

And it wasn't a smart thing to do! He was really good but couldn't stay fit and then left and we had a massive hole in the team creatively the next year.

If you're going to undertake a process of steady improvement you have to commit at some point or you'll never get there. Look at Leicester and West Ham. They've made a few older signings to fill out the squad and on the cheap those are fine (Townsend, Delph for us, Dawson or Evans for them) but the vast majority of the money is on players who were purchased under the age of 25 or 26. And as those guys get older you have your experience taken care of. It isn't a coincidence that they're the strongest squads outside the Greedy Six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back