• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Other Club Transfers 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I interest you in LWB sensation Dwight Mcneil yet?
HaHaHa

I said on here when u guys were linked with him that he is too slow to be a PL player, u need pace at this level. I think he will turn out to be like many a Villa player and be someone u just can't get off the payroll soon enough as nobody will pay the wages. McNeil would be much more suited to Italian football, he is a skillful player when the game is at a slower pace.

I am hoping we will see a right winger join us this month. There are lots of sexy links to players but I think that is just lazy journalism linking any player that Emery has had contact with during his time in Spain to Villa

Can understand the board not going for Felix, that loan fee + wages is Extortion.

Atletico literally have no risk in this deal, get rid of him for a year make bank, bring him back hopefully he performs sell him for £70-100m

Can understand the board not going for Felix, that loan fee + wages is Extortion.

Atletico literally have no risk in this deal, get rid of him for a year make bank, bring him back hopefully he performs sell him for £70-100m

I reckon he'll stay at Atleti once Simeone has gone. Possibly under Poch?

Over 10m quid for a fella who is nearly 30, as back up, with no resale value just screams bad business mate.

You've spent a fortune, to be languishing in the bottom half. Most of it on older players who you wont get much back in.

See Coutinho.
We have spent a fair few quid but not mostly on older players; Bailey, Kamara, Cash, Watkins, and others are not old. Yeah, a few 29 year olds but experience is needed. 12.5m on a FB for a PL club is very little these days. Look at the market rate for McNeil and Maupay. I have read on here by many people that u guys want 10m+ each for the likes of Holgate and Keane. Average players these days cost less than 20m. Yes, there will always be a bargain to be found but it would be naive to think every player is going to turn out to be a bargain and we ain't doing too badly with getting McGinn for 2.5m and Kamara for free. We even got Chukwuemeka for a nominal kids fee in 2016 and sold him to Chelsea last summer for 15m + 5m. Thinking that a 29 year is too old of a player to bring to a club is just daft. We need a LB, if he is backup for 3 years and leaves on a free it costs 4m a yr plus wages. Clubs need to buy some players for future sell on and also some players for an immediate role in the team. We have a very good LB in our u23 who will hopefully be getting into the 1st team over the coming years and we need cover while he gets up to speed.

We have spent a fair few quid but not mostly on older players; Bailey, Kamara, Cash, Watkins, and others are not old. Yeah, a few 29 year olds but experience is needed. 12.5m on a FB for a PL club is very little these days. Look at the market rate for McNeil and Maupay. I have read on here by many people that u guys want 10m+ each for the likes of Holgate and Keane. Average players these days cost less than 20m. Yes, there will always be a bargain to be found but it would be naive to think every player is going to turn out to be a bargain and we ain't doing too badly with getting McGinn for 2.5m and Kamara for free. We even got Chukwuemeka for a nominal kids fee in 2016 and sold him to Chelsea last summer for 15m + 5m. Thinking that a 29 year is too old of a player to bring to a club is just daft. We need a LB, if he is backup for 3 years and leaves on a free it costs 4m a yr plus wages. Clubs need to buy some players for future sell on and also some players for an immediate role in the team. We have a very good LB in our u23 who will hopefully be getting into the 1st team over the coming years and we need cover while he gets up to speed.

You have spent big in Digne, Coutinho and the CB in the summer, now this guy. And you're sitting in the bottom half. You cant sustainably keep doing both mate, it catches up with you.

Maupay was 25 when we bought him and a striker. McNeil was 22 when we bought him. I'm not saying theyve worked out well, but they are a different composition to buying a lad who's nearly 30, for 12m as a backup.

You are making the same mistakes we did mate, without really having any of the "success". It doesnt end well.

You have spent big in Digne, Coutinho and the CB in the summer, now this guy. And you're sitting in the bottom half. You cant sustainably keep doing both mate, it catches up with you.

Maupay was 25 when we bought him and a striker. McNeil was 22 when we bought him. I'm not saying theyve worked out well, but they are a different composition to buying a lad who's nearly 30, for 12m as a backup.

You are making the same mistakes we did mate, without really having any of the "success". It doesnt end well.

they’re still poo mate lol

Yeah and we had a crap manager, we have got 10 points from his 1st 5 games and look a much better side. And yes we are in the bottom half but we are in 11th and if Emery maintains even close to his current points tally we will likely be top half. 12m is not big money for a player that is considered PL standard by the manager. Yes, he could be wrong but u have to trust your manager or sack him and if he is trusted then 12m is naff all for a player.

I agree Maupay and McNeil are different for comparison. I think Maupay is a good player and it is just he is playing in the wrong position. McNeil on the other hand, it wouldn't matter whether he was 12 years old, 22 or 32, it was still money down the drain imo. He is simply not PL standard. All too often fans look to see future resale and development and ignore the current requirement. For example, would u be happy with Everton paying 25m for a 30 yr old striker this month if he scored the goals that keep u in the PL and chips in with 8 to 10 goals the following season and then is a bit part highly paid sub for the next 18 months or would u prefer to spend 30m on a 21 year old prospect that may come good in the future?

Yeah and we had a crap manager, we have got 10 points from his 1st 5 games and look a much better side. And yes we are in the bottom half but we are in 11th and if Emery maintains even close to his current points tally we will likely be top half. 12m is not big money for a player that is considered PL standard by the manager. Yes, he could be wrong but u have to trust your manager or sack him and if he is trusted then 12m is naff all for a player.

I agree Maupay and McNeil are different for comparison. I think Maupay is a good player and it is just he is playing in the wrong position. McNeil on the other hand, it wouldn't matter whether he was 12 years old, 22 or 32, it was still money down the drain imo. He is simply not PL standard. All too often fans look to see future resale and development and ignore the current requirement. For example, would u be happy with Everton paying 25m for a 30 yr old striker this month if he scored the goals that keep u in the PL and chips in with 8 to 10 goals the following season and then is a bit part highly paid sub for the next 18 months or would u prefer to spend 30m on a 21 year old prospect that may come good in the future?

Let's see how you get on, Gerrard certainly held you back, but given the money you've spent, you ought to be doing a lot better. Pretty sure you lost in the cup as well. You seem to be buying a lot of players "for now" and really not achieving much. I'll happily take the under on you coming below 7/8th.

12m is a lot for a fullback who's nearly 30, who has no resale value. It just is. We have done it, with the likes of Allan, and you end up pouring money away. And Allan was a first teamer not a backup.

Re Maupay and McNeil, both have been poor signings. But they are poor for different reasons, that's all. Maybe McNeil can get better, generally 23 year olds do show some improvements.

Re the final point, of course if we signed someone who kept us up, it's worth 30m. But I'm not sure that's the situation with you guys signing a backup fullback, when you're not going to go down. Like honestly, that rhetoric of short termism, just sign him to see us through a season, eventually leaves you in a financial hole. It's the law of diminishing returns.

You just seen to be repeating the same mistakes we made, with a lot of the same justifications.

Let's see how you get on, Gerrard certainly held you back, but given the money you've spent, you ought to be doing a lot better. Pretty sure you lost in the cup as well. You seem to be buying a lot of players "for now" and really not achieving much. I'll happily take the under on you coming below 7/8th.

12m is a lot for a fullback who's nearly 30, who has no resale value. It just is. We have done it, with the likes of Allan, and you end up pouring money away. And Allan was a first teamer not a backup.

Re Maupay and McNeil, both have been poor signings. But they are poor for different reasons, that's all. Maybe McNeil can get better, generally 23 year olds do show some improvements.

Re the final point, of course if we signed someone who kept us up, it's worth 30m. But I'm not sure that's the situation with you guys signing a backup fullback, when you're not going to go down. Like honestly, that rhetoric of short termism, just sign him to see us through a season, eventually leaves you in a financial hole. It's the law of diminishing returns.

You just seen to be repeating the same mistakes we made, with a lot of the same justifications.
I do get where u are coming from but if Digne gets a serious injury we are screwed, our only option would be 37 year old Ash Young. Yeah, he is proving age hasn't hit him as much as it has other footballers but we can't rely on him for back up to the LB spot. We absolutely need a LB for this and next season at a minimum. This is why I am happy with the transfer but I have no idea how good / bad he is as a player. Villa is in a different position to Everton. The 20/21 season was our first back in the PL, we were a Championship club before that. We scrapped up via the playoffs with half a team of loan players and the other half aging and running down their contracts. We came up with Hourihane (now L1), Jedinek (Retired), ElGhazi (Holland), Trezeguet Turkey), Davis (Watford), Jed Steer (GK), Neil Taylor (Retired), Albert Adomah and ElMohamedy in our team. The majority of those started the playoff final. Abraham, Mings, Tuanzebe. We had two assets. We sold Grealish and still have McGinn. We needed a complete rebuild. We have spent about 400m since promotion and taken in about 150m, so 250m net spend. Our revenues in the Championship were circa 40m/50m a year, last year revenue was 184m.
We need to establish ourselves as a PL club again, that is going to cost money and a few midtable finishes for consolidation is massive progress imo. I have confidence in our owners and CEO insofar as they have a lot of money and a lot of experience with sports clubs (our CEO was on the committee that developed the FFP rules). I would be shocked if they were putting the club at risk of oblivion. Yeah, I am sure they are exploiting every loophole and opportunity that exists but that is just shrewd management. I enjoyed our games in the Championship to a certain extent but I do not want to revisit those memories. Investing in players to secure our status as a PL club and try to join the top half of the table is very welcome to me.

Ya been saying this since last season to a mate of mine who is a manure supporter that Villa have been going down the Everton road of buying quite a few players on I'm sure big contracts who just aren't doing it for them and either are at that age that it will be very difficult to sell on or have injury issues. I really thought clubs would have seen Evertons spending the last few seasons and learnt alot from that and not go down the same road but Villa certainly seem to be following the same path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back