Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on @davek my old friend, lets have an update on our Jagielka debate.

He's been outstanding for about 2 months now after admittedly poor period, with the rest of our squad, before Christmas.

On current form surely you must reconsider your view that he's finished and needs scrapping?

I male my comments on the basis of the whole season. If you're happy with the way he's performed for 2 months of it then ok.

My main gripe is that he's captain of this team, when anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together can see he's no captain.

Jagielka was immense tonight and was only just behind Lukaku for my man of the match by a whisker. I don't agree that people exaggerate over how poor he has been both in play and as a skipper of late...his performance last night was a yardstick to how good he was and consistently so too. I hope that it lifts him and augurs well for Sunday when we need another great show from him. Well done Jags.

I'm not his biggest fan but that was an imperious second half. If him and Rom turn in performances like that for the rest of the season ... we're laughing.

I male my comments on the basis of the whole season. If you're happy with the way he's performed for 2 months of it then ok..

Sorry pal, not picking on you here, but what a massive contradiction this is when comparing it to your opinion of Martinez?

This is actually spine-tingingly, groin grabbingly, vomit inducingly laughable!

Jagielka's approach to captaincy kind of sums of the team for me. I could be talking about Jagielka as an individual or the team as a whole when I say the approach is not aggressive enough, too languid, too relaxed, far too passive to injustices. We seem to pride ourselves as being gentlemen who don't cheat but I'm sorry but this approach doesn't work in the modern game. We have got to be more aggressive, more physical and get on the referee's case a bit more. It's a cliche but you've got to win the battle first to win the right to play football. Jagielka has got to lead from the front if he is going to stay as captain

I thought Jagielka was absolutely immense last night with aggression and leadership and seemed to be trying his best to fire the team up. And would you believe it - they responded and it turned the game around. I hope last night is a watershed monent for Jags in terms of what is expected from the captain. Then hopefully the ereat of the team can show a bit more backbone and willingness to fight for results and not roll over so easily

Last edited:
I male my comments on the basis of the whole season. If you're happy with the way he's performed for 2 months of it then ok.

My main gripe is that he's captain of this team, when anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together can see he's no captain.

Leave Jags alone, for gods sake.

I kind of agree, but, when a new manager comes in, he has the opportunity to throw the armband at someone else. Martinez chose to leave Jagielka as captain, a player who he'd soon a lot of before taking the Everton job, and also a player he saw in pre-season after he took the job. He decided to leave Jagielka as captain, mainly, I'd guess, because he didn't see anyone else up to the job whose name would be first on the teamsheet.

Jagielka still has it as a player, is an important part of our team and having a good old 'un ( Jags ) next to a good young 'un ( Stones ) is a tried and trusted method of passing the reins on in all walks of life and it applies to footie as much as anything else. Distin and Alcaraz will need replacing, but Jagielka probably has a couple of decent seasons left in him

Thought he was great last night...but, and this is a genuine question, if you were to give the armband to someone who talks a bit more (to a McCarthy say), is that a total "vote of no confidence" in Jags. Would that be the end of him as an Everton player? If the answer to that question is yes, then we are stuck with him because I don't think we can afford to lose him. I think he is a great defender and a great team player, but not a great captain.

I think he is a great defender and a great team player, but not a great captain.

Happy with the first 2. NEA on the captain thing. Anyone who has played the game knows it means about 1% once a game starts.

Wasnt the Kiev captain their keeper last night for example?

I kind of agree, but, when a new manager comes in, he has the opportunity to throw the armband at someone else. Martinez chose to leave Jagielka as captain, a player who he'd soon a lot of before taking the Everton job, and also a player he saw in pre-season after he took the job. He decided to leave Jagielka as captain, mainly, I'd guess, because he didn't see anyone else up to the job whose name would be first on the teamsheet.

Jagielka still has it as a player, is an important part of our team and having a good old 'un ( Jags ) next to a good young 'un ( Stones ) is a tried and trusted method of passing the reins on in all walks of life and it applies to footie as much as anything else. Distin and Alcaraz will need replacing, but Jagielka probably has a couple of decent seasons left in him
I dont know, maybe Martinez wants a quiet captain who leads by example. I'd have thought though that the only conclusion to draw from this season is that the players need a voice on the pitch reminding them of the plan they stepped onto the field with.

On the playing side, he's had periods in the last two seasons where he just goes walkabout. Very sloppy in his reading of the game and in his distribution. Personally, I think we're desperate for an upgrade from him.

I dont know, maybe Martinez wants a quiet captain who leads by example. I'd have thought though that the only conclusion to draw from this season is that the players need a voice on the pitch reminding them of the plan they stepped onto the field with.

On the playing side, he's had periods in the last two seasons where he just goes walkabout. Very sloppy in his reading of the game and in his distribution. Personally, I think we're desperate for an upgrade from him.

You wanna replace him with some pony from the SPL.

GET OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back