Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
I male my comments on the basis of the whole season. If you're happy with the way he's performed for 2 months of it then ok.

My main gripe is that he's captain of this team, when anyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together can see he's no captain.

By that logic Martinez hasn't got two brain cells? Jags was captain for our record breaking season though. I think you need to judge his captaincy long term and not be so short termist.

By that logic Martinez hasn't got two brain cells? Jags was captain for our record breaking season though. I think you need to judge his captaincy long term and not be so short termist.
I see that he's done a fine job over his career here. No question. If you're happy with his patchy form over the past couple of seasons and aren't concerned with that heading into another season, fair enough. I think we should get rid for a few quid and move on.

On the playing side, he's had periods in the last two seasons where he just goes walkabout.

You just don't like him mate, which colours your judgement. All players have drops in form now and then

Very sloppy in his reading of the game
Disagree, defensively he reads the game very well, not so much going forward, but primarily his job is to stop the opposition scoring.

and in his distribution.
Wouldn't argue with that though

Personally, I think we're desperate for an upgrade from him.
Not desperate, but he ain't getting any younger so yes, we need another centre half pushing for a first team place, two actually, one proven and one up and coming. Maybe Galloway will be the latter ?

You just don't like him mate, which colours your judgement. All players have drops in form now and then

Disagree, defensively he reads the game very well, not so much going forward, but primarily his job is to stop the opposition scoring.

Wouldn't argue with that though

Not desperate, but he ain't getting any younger so yes, we need another centre half pushing for a first team place, two actually, one proven and one up and coming. Maybe Galloway will be the latter ?
Stones + Jagielka + Galloway + experienced CB (not Alcarez, obviously!).

We should be looking to start next season with that.

I dont dislike Jagielka, by the way. It's just obvious he's looked lackadaisical at times, especially around the late Autumn/ early winter. Not the attitude I expect of a club captain. I dont think I'm alone in remembering that.

I disagree, Roy Keane, John Terry and sadly Steven Squarehead are all excellent captains who have gained their teams so many penos, red cards and all sort of trickery over the years.

No, they are all excellent players. The captain of a football team is pretty irrelevant in a match.

Ratcliffe was our captain in the 80s. Reid, Nev, Gray, Mountfield, probably more, could have done it, (they probably did at times I guess).

He doesnt seem to be the most inspiring leader of men, granted, but a good team, shouldnt really need just one leader on the field.

I would bet real fruit gums, that the 66 WC England side were "captained" on the pitch by Ball, Stiles and Charlton. For example.

I think thats part of the "problem", we dont have many leaders on the pitch, Stones, Besic, McCarthy and Naismith are all excellent talkers, even Osman, but then youve got ya Baines, Jags, Barry, Howard and a few others that barely make a peep.

I think thats part of the "problem", we dont have many leaders on the pitch, Stones, Besic, McCarthy and Naismith are all excellent talkers, even Osman, but then youve got ya Baines, Jags, Barry, Howard and a few others that barely make a peep.

Would not disagree mate. Assuming your apparent admiration for Besic isnt a wind up, (I love him btw, he is signing my birthday present apparently), to me, when he matures, nailed on. And even if he doesnt wear a little armband.

Would not disagree mate. Assuming your apparent admiration for Besic isnt a wind up, (I love him btw, he is signing my birthday present apparently), to me, when he matures, nailed on. And even if he doesnt wear a little armband.

I do possibly overplay Besics talent, a little, but I do think hes a very good player with a LOT of potential to be Superb.

But I love the way he talks, John Stones is the same, neither of them shut up during games, geeing people up, making sure everybody knows whos got who, as you say, neither of them need the band to do that, they would do it regardless.

I do possibly overplay Besics talent, a little, but I do think hes a very good player with a LOT of potential to be Superb.

But I love the way he talks, John Stones is the same, neither of them shut up during games, geeing people up, making sure everybody knows whos got who, as you say, neither of them need the band to do that, they would do it regardless.

I love the lad. NEA

Still for me a really good CB we'd struggle to replace without shelling out a load. Some of his good performances have been unfone by calamity Tim. Still remember how good he was in Moyes' last derby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back