Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jagielka is the ultimate ditherer with the ball, rarely crops up with a goal (still won't ever forget his one at Anfield though) and far, far too often gifts away possession too easily.

Yes he's been good for us, and he looks a lot better when alongside the much superior Stones, but I am not disappointed he's going to miss some games for us. Hopefully Funes will strike up a good partnership with Stones and it is a sign of things to come.

Actually I see it as an exciting opportunity.

He scored 6 last year, fourth most on the squad. How many is he supposed to score?

Don't think number of goals should be too big of a determining factor for how good a CB is anyways. He was our player of the season last year and will be greatly missed.

Jagielka is the ultimate ditherer with the ball, rarely crops up with a goal (still won't ever forget his one at Anfield though) and far, far too often gifts away possession too easily.

Yes he's been good for us, and he looks a lot better when alongside the much superior Stones, but I am not disappointed he's going to miss some games for us. Hopefully Funes will strike up a good partnership with Stones and it is a sign of things to come.

Actually I see it as an exciting opportunity.
I salute you as the wrongest poster on here, and that's not an insult. I'm genuinely in awe at your consistency.

If he's not tied to a post, lashed then skinned alive next home game then I've lost faith in Everton. How he's even allowed exist in the same world as me burns my soul. Worse than genghis khan and hitler and Manson.

/sarcastic venting over.

As I've maintained all along: Jagielka = good stopper type CB worth persevering with in a team with lots of funds to go out and get top quality, but always prone each season to a slump that costs us.

Howard was diabolical for the crosses for their two goals, but Jagielka was utterly lost positionally and offered us no organisational capacity between those two Arsenal goals. I expect a captain to be able to step in and show some command of the situation when we fall behind. The past two games he's allowed us to go from a poor position to a dire position almost straight away.

Player of the season yada yada yada, England CB yada yada yada...he's never going to give us what we crucially need back there in defence: consistent form throughout a season and leadership and authority on the pitch. IMO, he's one of the worst captains we've had in those terms for years.

Hopefully not to bad an injury but not worried in the slightest in the meantime, mori and galloway look very capable to cover

I'm gonna say between 6-12 weeks out, didn't look serious enough to be a 6 monther+ as he did walk off the field but the fact he left on crutches/looks to have some ligament damage can't see it being less than 6 weeks either.

Pretty disasterous this. We better wrap Stones in cotton wool as a knock for him and we are looking at Mori and Browning at centre half. That could well be great, but equally likely to be absolute terrible.

we're knee deep in CB's, it's a great opportunity for some of our youngsters to shine. In Jagielka's absence first choice CB pairing must be Stones and Mori. Browning, Galloway, Pennington, Besic, Holgate offer good cover.

We've also got to think about the skipper's role. We can't give Howard the armband, he shouldn't even be on the pitch, Coleman doesn't strike me as having the personality or presence to be a skipper .. noticed Galloway barking out the orders yesterday but possibly too early for him. I don't think there would be many objections in giving Stones the armband ... and it shows intent.

As I've maintained all along: Jagielka = good stopper type CB worth persevering with in a team with lots of funds to go out and get top quality, but always prone each season to a slump that costs us.

Howard was diabolical for the crosses for their two goals, but Jagielka was utterly lost positionally and offered us no organisational capacity between those two Arsenal goals. I expect a captain to be able to step in and show some command of the situation when we fall behind. The past two games he's allowed us to go from a poor position to a dire position almost straight away.

Player of the season yada yada yada, England CB yada yada yada...he's never going to give us what we crucially need back there in defence: consistent form throughout a season and leadership and authority on the pitch. IMO, he's one of the worst captains we've had in those terms for years.
As you pointed out very eloquently on the Martinez thread, the whole club were likely affected by the sad news of Kendall. Surely that is likely to impact the club captain the greatest as not only will he be the player who will have talked to Kendall the most frequently of the current squad but he'll have some of the closest connections with the general staff and Evertonian mood?

Apart from that game Jags has had a great season leading a disturbed backline coming into the Arsenal match, following on from his generally good form for 2015.

And yet as soon as he makes the slightest dip from that form you are all over him with long standing complaints. You criticize people for doing that in the Martinez thread but honestly can't see how your behaviour to Jags is any different.

Galloway is a CB too. I think we can get through this easily enough.

we're knee deep in CB's

Problem is a lot of them are being required to play LB/RB.

Once Baines is back and assuming Coleman can stay fit, then we'll be fine. Though the problems caused by having to start a new CB pairing every other game shouldn't be ignored. CBs rarely "just slot in" and need a bit of time to develop an understanding with the players around them.

For example I noticed some poor communication between Stones and Funes Mori yesterday when the latter rushed across to Stones's side of the pitch to clear the danger. They both went for the same ball and if RFM had missed we'd have had no one in the middle. Thankfully he won the ball, like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back