Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read slow not a play maker we are shopping at the bottom end again?- not as as good as Snides ?evidentlily Allen from Napoli is a better option .......
I’m happy with him not being a playmaker if he can actually win the ball and disrupt opposition midfield play as that would open up Gomes a little more and hopefully stop the opposition cancelling out our midfield with a single 5 yard pass. My preference would be Allan but I think considering our finances and the fact we probably want a deal done quickly PEH is probably the smarter move.

I do however think a midfield 2 is a big contributor to our midfield woes

I’m happy with him not being a playmaker if he can actually win the ball and disrupt opposition midfield play as that would open up Gomes a little more and hopefully stop the opposition cancelling out our midfield with a single 5 yard pass. My preference would be Allan but I think considering our finances and the fact we probably want a deal done quickly PEH is probably the smarter move.

I do however think a midfield 2 is a big contributor to our midfield woes

Agreed, we certaintly looked a lot better on Monday with a midfield three. Stick some actual footballers in that midfield three and we may improve long term.

Agreed, we certaintly looked a lot better on Monday with a midfield three. Stick some actual footballers in that midfield three and we may improve long term.
With the state of our midfield I think we need the three for pure numbers rather than any talent or tactical reason. For me 442 only works in the presence of a poor midfield if you have good wingers which unfortunately we don’t .

Hopefully we can bring in a decent playmaker on top of this guy and Gomes (as the ball carrier) if we’re looking at a midfield 3 otherwise we need 2 decent wingers for a 442 and good wingers don’t come cheap.

I have never heard anyone say anything amazing about him since he’s been in the prem.

no one

fbang average

file under anonymous

file under ‘who is he’

file under ‘remember that time he... oh wait’

25 mil as well

we have learnt nothing

southampton fans can’t believe their luck

imagine if we sold Tom Davies for 25 mil
Would you have said the same when we signed Gueye ?

I do think Guardiola's hope/prediction that he'd be a new Busquets isn't far fetched. He doesn't have that consistent high level of performance as Busquets, but he is efficient at spraying passes around and getting the ball moving in the engine room. And he always makes himself available for a pass. I also think he's a pest to play against. He has a bit of Mandzukic in him. Always going in hard, and very vocal and agitating towards opponents and ref. Getting cheap fouls from diving, dirty tricks etc.

But his defensive stats are misleading. He is not as good defensively as they suggest. If you're after a very disciplined hardworking pure DM then I'd rather go for his partner in the national team Thomas Delaney (who is no longer sure starter for Dortmund). He doesn't offer the same offensively though, but he's very much your defensive steady-Eddie clogger (and left-footed which can be useful). But PEH has a higher ceiling in terms of growth in my opinion.

If the manager wants Hojberg I am more than happy to trust his judgement.
The Southampton supporters seem to have forgotten that at just 23 he was their captain and that certainly says something about him.
I will be happy if we sign him but not desolate if we don't.

I do find it unusual that people will happily pay 30m for Allan who is nearly thirty years old and has never kicked a ball in the Premiership but think it is far to expensive for Hojberg who was captain of a team who may finish above us in the league depending on results next weekend, has shown he can play in the Premiership and is more than five years younger.

I would have paid £45 million. What's not to like. Very slow, wonderful 5 yard passes, no goalscoring threat and points a lot.
Welcome to Everton
He might work in a system though? He’s very good at winning the ball back and should stop players waltzing through our midfield. A team and particularly a midfield is made up of a collective not individuals and should be greater than the sum of its parts. Leicester won the league with a team like that ffs.

I'm very pleased with this signing. He does his job and that's what we want.
If that's your formula for real success then we won't be successful anytime soon. It's easy to buy players that 'do a job' but at this level you need most the first team players who can do a job and also conjure something special when you need it. Every Man C and Liverpool players have that in their locker and are not reliant on a few who can.

If that's your formula for real success then we won't be successful anytime soon. It's easy to buy players that 'do a job' but at this level you need most the first team players who can do a job and also conjure something special when you need it. Every Man C and Liverpool players have that in their locker and are not reliant on a few who can.
You need 11 players that all do a job that fits with a system. You could have a midfield of Paul Pogba, KDB and Yaya Toure but you wouldn’t win anything because it just wouldn’t work. I get people want some exciting James Rodriguez type so they get a warm fuzzy when they see him wearing the shirt but that player just wouldn’t work with what we have and how we play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back