Player contract expiry dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extending contracts to reduce transfer fee amortisation would be a ludicrous approach.

You would be committing to £25m in wages for players paid over the next 5 years to reduce their annual amortisation cost by a few million a year.

If we had extended Mina's contract then it would have indeed opened up a couple of million which could have been amortised itself.

Its common sense.

Extending contracts to reduce transfer fee amortisation would be a ludicrous approach.

You would be committing to £25m in wages for players paid over the next 5 years to reduce their annual amortisation cost by a few million a year.
Kinda feels like what the reds have done this summer with a few of their players.

Kinda feels like what the reds have done this summer with a few of their players.

Id actually say that youre (and @Timak ) would be right there.

But with us, if we extended Mina, Richarlison, Godfrey, Doucoure and Pickford then it would make sense for us to free up space.

However, it would make more sense to do that next year as we would be able to knock off alot more this season and then spread the balance next season.

If that makes sense :)

Key difference between us doing that and Liverpool doing similar is the ages of our players and their existing wages/contracts plus value to the team long term.

Rondon signed...

7 Expiring 2022
James
Sigurdsson
Tosun
Delph
Kenny
Gibson
Begovic

9 Expiring 2023
Coleman
Mina
Davies
Nkounkou
Allan
Doucoure
Branthwaite
Townsend
Rondon

8 Expiring 2024
Virginia
Richarlison
Pickford
Iwobi
Kean
Gbamin
Gomes
Gray

6 Expiring 2025
Calvert-Lewin
Holgate
Gordon
Keane
Godfrey
Digne

Take up Begovic's 1 year option to be 3rd choice. Simms is also in his last year and seems to be considered 1st team so I would say if he can stay around the squad he is playing for his future if he does enough to convince he could be first team squad give him 2 years. Anything else let him go the others could leave now for me.

Mina and Doucoure offer 2+1 Extension. Allan offer 1+1 extension. Townsend wait until closer the time as we have the extra year on there already. Nkounkou depends on how he does on loan if he impresses on loan an extra 1+1 so we can see how he manages if he's no good we need to sell while we can still get something for him. Davies I would be waiting until the summer to make any sort of decision. Rondon and Coleman I wouldn't offer contracts too. There is no way Rondon is doing good enough to earn that +1 on the money he is on. Branthwaite depends whether he keeps progressing but ideally he needs to get game time. Whether that be in u23s as an older player, out on loan somewhere in the Championship or Scottish leagues or he gets ahead of both Holgate and Keane as 1st choice back up.

Richarlison if he stays we need to offer a 2 year extension in the summer. Pickford if he keeps up his good form this season would offer 3 year extension in summer. Iwobi and Gomes I would be listening to any sensible offers. If they become changed men in the meantime he would get an offer but I can't see it. Virginia will be gone in the summer and Kean the following one. Gbamin I imagine will end up released but if he finds fitness and form we have 2 and a half years to make a decision. Gray if he plays well enough the next 2 seasons invoke the extra year and maybe add another couple on top.

Keane I would be actively trying to sell. Digne might be at the point where you offer 1+1. Holgate needs to improve as I would be open to offers for him at this stage and the soonest he would be offered is winter 2024. Calvert-Lewin and Godfrey would wait until summer 2023. However these are the players that like Richarlison the decision may be taken out of our hands.

Rondon signed...

7 Expiring 2022
James
Sigurdsson
Tosun
Delph
Kenny
Gibson
Begovic

9 Expiring 2023
Coleman
Mina
Davies
Nkounkou
Allan
Doucoure
Branthwaite
Townsend
Rondon

8 Expiring 2024
Virginia
Richarlison
Pickford
Iwobi
Kean
Gbamin
Gomes
Gray

6 Expiring 2025
Calvert-Lewin
Holgate
Gordon
Keane
Godfrey
Digne
7 players off the books+2/3 out, richy probably one of them.

That's a lot of wages saved and money for fees.

7 players off the books+2/3 out, richy probably one of them.

That's a lot of wages saved and money for fees.
I’m still not sure how the rolling 3 year period affects us in the summer tbh, all these contracts ending and the money saved seems at face value good for a summer splurge, but this year and last years losses probobly still factor in how much we can spend I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.