Player Contracts (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm would disagree. If both those players flopped it’s much harder to shift the higher contract than the lower. This is the issue we’re having trying to get rid of the likes of Sandro and Bolasie.

I think we’ll spend high but with lower contracts in the future.
If you sign a player for a big fee they will want to be paid accordingly.

Another thing to consider is that with FFP you can only increase your wage bill a certain % every year. That is why Brands has sent some of these high earners on loan rather than selling for a loss.

Williams is a good example. Low book value being in the final year of his contract. Stoke pay % of wage and a loan fee but by keeping his 80k wage on the books gives us more room to move next transfer window.

Would be more important if we were pushing up the table and looking to invest than looking down and needing to cut

Can’t believe how bloated the squad is
Absolute dross or average joes pocketing thousands who have no personal pride at all - Browning and Garbutt hanging on purely for wages as they know the level they’re meant to playing won’t get them half of what they earn here. They’re about 25, most academy graduates who aren’t going to be first team players move on to build their career elsewhere but not these - Galloway is similar but at least he’s still fairly young and has been injured.

We can call Allardyce many things but his recent quotes about our massive squad causing disharmony and difficult to manage is probably very true. Tension because said players have to train with the first team who are clearly not good enough or ever going to play sulking about and ruining any kind of team spirit.

We must get more of these players out. We must start getting more players like Digne rather than top 6 cast offs who think they’re better than us and have no desire or hunger to achieve anything or think they’re doing us a favour.

Mistakes have been made, we’ve had huge losses with sacking managers we have long expensive contacts to. Losses will come from buying crap with no resale value and those who turned out crap we can’t even give them away and those who will never see a payday like this again like Sandro.

The way FFP is worked out means our owners may have money but we can’t keep splashing out without the revenue coming in and x amount of losses. I really think we should’ve sold Gueye as we have very little assets left especially those to turn a profit on.

Genuinely concerned about the club...some of those players listed I feel better knowing they’ll be gone sooner rather than later!!

Why sell the only 2 promising youngsters we have on our books?

Its an example.

If you sign a player for a big fee they will want to be paid accordingly.
Not necessarily with youngsters. Spurs have shown that to be the case.
Another thing to consider is that with FFP you can only increase your wage bill a certain % every year. That is why Brands has sent some of these high earners on loan rather than selling for a loss.

Williams is a good example. Low book value being in the final year of his contract. Stoke pay % of wage and a loan fee but by keeping his 80k wage on the books gives us more room to move next transfer window.

Would be more important if we were pushing up the table and looking to invest than looking down and needing to cut

I think its a matter of perception of what we / Brands would consider to be 'high wages'.

If we look at Frenchmen then some of the young players who have moved to Leipzig such as;

Upamecano (Salzburg onto Leipzig)
Konate (from Sochaux)
Mukiele (from Montpellier)
Augustin (from PSG)

From transfermarkt £36mil signing fees now valued at £80mil.

I doubt any of those players would expect anything like £70k a week which is probably around 50% of what we pay Walcott/Sigurdsson.

If we bought directly from France as they do then I suspect £50k a week would be a very high salary to pay out.

Its an example.

I think its a matter of perception of what we / Brands would consider to be 'high wages'.

If we look at Frenchmen then some of the young players who have moved to Leipzig such as;

Konate (from Sochaux)
Augustin (from PSG)

I doubt any of those players would expect anything like £70k a week which is probably around 50% of what we pay Walcott/Sigurdsson.

If we bought directly from France as they do then I suspect £50k a week would be a very high salary to pay out.
That’s the Brands model we’re after. So will be interesting to see if he goes more that way now he’s had a year too asses the squad.

As pretty much all our signings in summer were big and made to make an immediate impact

Its an example.

Konate (from Sochaux)
Augustin (from PSG)

Problem is it’s a gamble buying young players from a different league. If they do well, they won’t be happy sitting on 50k a week while watching their less impressive colleagues earn double or triple that, so in a short space of time you need to renew their contract or sell.

There’s something very dodgy about spurs pay policy. Dele Ali on 55k?!! Why is he not agitating for a move to quadruple his wage?
Only 5 players on over 100k. Something stinks.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/tottenham-hotspur-f.c/payroll/

Nothing stinks. Their base wage is low but they get lots of bonuses and performance related “top-ups” which personally is how I think all clubs should operate. Stops people becoming unmotivated and sitting on the bench raking it in.

I think the focus this summer should be on trying to shift as many as possible of the group of late twenties / early thirties players on big wages. Namely:

Coleman
Mirallas
Bolasie
Walcott
Schneiderlin
Sigurdsson
Gueye
Tosun
Niasse
McCarthy

There is a huge amount of wages tied up there and hopefully still some value in transfer fees. What is really shocking is how many of those players have been bought over the last couple of seasons, we really have created our own problem.

Historically, we have held on to players far too long and allowed their value to erode and their ability to decline. These players need to be moved on now and replaced with players 25 and younger (as was the strategy this last summer). This squad needs a thorough rebuild and for me that is the way to do it, easier said than done I know.

Nothing stinks. Their base wage is low but they get lots of bonuses and performance related “top-ups” which personally is how I think all clubs should operate. Stops people becoming unmotivated and sitting on the bench raking it in.
I fully agree with you, but I've just googled it. It appears that Ali has a deal that earns him up to 100k. I still think he could move elsewhere and double that and not have to worry about missing his bonus for not finishing top 4.
In addition, he has several sponsorship deals eg Adidas. This earns him more than his spurs wages. I'm still not convinced it's all above board.

I fully agree with you, but I've just googled it. It appears that Ali has a deal that earns him up to 100k. I still think he could move elsewhere and double that and not have to worry about missing his bonus for not finishing top 4.
In addition, he has several sponsorship deals eg Adidas. This earns him more than his spurs wages. I'm still not convinced it's all above board.

Yeh it's not normal, but maybe he just realises at his age he's got plenty of time to move on and get huge wages at a Real Madrid etc.

Still a very well off young man whichever way we look at it.

I think the focus this summer should be on trying to shift as many as possible of the group of late twenties / early thirties players on big wages. Namely:

Coleman Mirallas Bolasie Walcott Schneiderlin Sigurdsson Gueye Tosun Niasse McCarthy

There is a huge amount of wages tied up there and hopefully still some value in transfer fees. What is really shocking is how many of those players have been bought over the last couple of seasons, we really have created our own problem.

Historically, we have held on to players far too long and allowed their value to erode and their ability to decline. These players need to be moved on now and replaced with players 25 and younger (as was the strategy this last summer). This squad needs a thorough rebuild and for me that is the way to do it, easier said than done I know.

Very, very true.This had been our policy for well over 20 years and it must be changed. Not only is it bad business, but players who have served us well are kept too long and suffer abuse from the crowd despite their past services - for example, Kevin Campbell, Tim Cahill, now Leighton Baines & Phil Jagielka.

Yeh it's not normal, but maybe he just realises at his age he's got plenty of time to move on and get huge wages at a Real Madrid etc.

Still a very well off young man whichever way we look at it.
Yeah but mate, look at the wages we're paying to dross. I'm using Ali as an example, but that spurs squad is jam packed with talent that is seriously under paid relative to what they could get elsewhere. And yet no rebellion. Very few transfer requests. If it's legit, let's all operate like that. Personally I think there's more to it than meets the eye.

Yeah but mate, look at the wages we're paying to dross. I'm using Ali as an example, but that spurs squad is jam packed with talent that is seriously under paid relative to what they could get elsewhere. And yet no rebellion. Very few transfer requests. If it's legit, let's all operate like that. Personally I think there's more to it than meets the eye.

I mean they are getting Top 4 consistently and CL football. Outside of winning something they're doing very well haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.